Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:11 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Twelve South Revamps BookBook for iPad Case

South Carolina accessory maker Twelve South has revamped its popular BookBook cases for the iPad. The look of the case isn't changing too much, but as Engadget reports, Twelve South has done some reworking.

Quote:
The iPad edition ... has been "completely redesigned" in order to be some 33 percent thinner while weighing 358 grams. The interior is refreshed, too, with a rigid casing that hides a slip-in cover and a built-in stand. Reportedly in response to popular demand, a black and a red version are joining the classic brown edition, with each one constructed from leather and offering up a dual zipper system.
Twelve South has posted an extensive blog entry going over everything that's changed, including the new Classic Black color. BookBook for iPad is available for $79.99 from Twelve South's website and Apple Retail Stores.

Article Link: Twelve South Revamps BookBook for iPad Case
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:36 PM   #2
foodog
macrumors 6502a

[QUOTE=MacRumors;15080262][QUOTE]

Nice cases
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3
G5isAlive
macrumors 6502

if anyone is looking for an early Christmas present to give me...
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Doc750
macrumors 6502a

The knock off on eBay for a third other price arent a bad alternative either
Doc750 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:20 PM   #5
moderniste
macrumors member

These are beautiful; I look forward to reading reviews of them when they come out. I wonder how hard it is to remove the ipad from the case.
moderniste is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:28 PM   #6
somebody else
macrumors newbie

These look really nice but $80 is a bit steep.
somebody else is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:34 PM   #7
kanselmo
macrumors newbie

Would buy one if it had a magnet to activate the auto wake/sleep function. Kind of crazy for them to not have bothered, even with it using a zipper and not a magnet to stay closed.
kanselmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:01 PM   #8
jpmack
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to jpmack Send a message via Yahoo to jpmack
Very cool and unique, but I'm not clear on the intended function (other than being cool and unique). It's pretty thick and expensive for an iPad case, so is it supposed to:

Conceal your iPad from thieves? According to their site: "sitting on a table or on the seat of a car, iPad looks like an old book, instead of an expensive iPad." To my eye it looks like an expensive old book, possibly worth more than an iPad. Not a very good camouflage, IMO.

Trick strangers into thinking that you are reading a classic novel, rather than playing Words With Friends? Who cares?

Maybe I'm missing something...
jpmack is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:03 PM   #9
FlameofAnor
macrumors regular

While they may be pretty, the last thing I want is to add bulk to my iPad.

The Smart Cover with a matching i-Blason back cover makes for a much sleeker solution. I just prefer a clean modern esthetic.
FlameofAnor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Lance-AR
macrumors 6502

I purchased a pad and quill case so I could leave the iPad sitting in the front seat of my truck from time to time without anyone noticing (a leather portfolio is nice but IMO not worth breaking into a car for). It's pretty but I really wish I could just trade it for something like the new Apple smart case should have been. It doesn't seem practical to me.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:34 PM   #11
Earendil
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmack View Post
Conceal your iPad from thieves? According to their site: "sitting on a table or on the seat of a car, iPad looks like an old book, instead of an expensive iPad." To my eye it looks like an expensive old book, possibly worth more than an iPad. Not a very good camouflage, IMO.

Trick strangers into thinking that you are reading a classic novel, rather than playing Words With Friends? Who cares?
I think you nailed it. very FEW old books that thin are worth $500-$900, even fewer of those books are being carried around to coffee shops and sitting on car seats. The far more likely scenario is that it's an old classic. Now, of all the $500-$900 books in the world that are that old, how many of them are known to the smash and grab style of thieves? Even if they guessed it was worth something, they wouldn't likely know how to go about pawning it. An iPad has a known value, and is easy to sell.

"ooo! They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer J. Simpson
Earendil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:43 PM   #12
ndstrenge
macrumors regular

I have one for my 15" mbp. It's awesome. I want one for my iPhone now. And if I had an iPad, I'd definitely consider it. The zipper may get annoying, though, for iPad use. I never use my laptop inside the case-- just for transport.

They're burly and beautiful. Hard cover, soft leather. This is the best laptop case I've ever had and I've been using laptops for fifteen years. Everyone that sees it wants one, too. And yes, everyone thinks it's a book.

Aesthetics/feel shouldn't be a concern of yours. The only thing I can see worthy of debate is the zipper.
ndstrenge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:05 PM   #13
Sylon
macrumors 68000

That's a lot better than their old design with the elastic straps.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Lostanddamned
macrumors 6502

1. Go to a 2nd hand book store
  2. Buy a (non first edition) copy of an old book bigger than your iPad
  3. Buy some PVA/Elmers Glue
  4. Use the glue and a knife to make an iPad case
  5. You now have an actual book iPad case. For about 1/5th the price

I did this with an A4 Moleskine, its perfect for putting my iPad in my bag.

Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Lance-AR
macrumors 6502

Very interesting. I would love to see bigger pictures.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:45 PM   #16
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

That's one expensive ad.
Compile 'em all is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:46 PM   #17
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

i do really love the BookBooks. the one i use daily for my Air and iPhone are great and if i do end up getting another iPad at some point i'll probably end up getting their case for that too. i'm just glad that they've been working to improve it since it seemed to be the clunkiest of them all.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:09 PM   #18
AmpSkillz
macrumors regular

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something...
I haven't seen any official numbers, but my guess is that random old books are targeted slightly less frequently by opportunistic thieves than small, expensive wildly popular electronic devices
AmpSkillz is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:30 AM   #19
Adriano73
macrumors newbie

I don't know. I've had two BookBooks for my iPhone and I've been really disappointed how quickly the colouring on the spine rubs off. Looks pretty crap after a few weeks. It's a shame because the cases look beautiful (when you first buy them).
Adriano73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:16 AM   #20
MacBlackBook22
macrumors 6502

Wow

Wonderful new design. I love the bookbook on my iPhone and wished they were as sleek as that design. I think they did that with the new thinner design. Just sent for the classic brown one to match my iPhone case.. can't wait for it to come.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:46 AM   #21
JML42691
macrumors 68020

From what I can tell it looks as if this redesign is for the iPad to be used almost exclusively in the case, while I'd certainly love having that option I think I'd prefer a design that more easily allowed the case to function as a carrying case primarily, a sleeve almost.
JML42691 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:54 AM   #22
Macman45
macrumors G5

I can't decide if I really like them or not....They are well made, Twelve South stuff is...But the Antique look is either something you'd love or hate. Also, in the UK it's pretty much £ for $ so £70-£80 is a lot of cash for a case. I guess the claim that it hides your iPad from potential thieves has merit though.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:47 PM   #23
Sackvillenb
macrumors 6502a

Ha, I love the look of these... yes, $80 is rather steep, but I've always loved these case designs...
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:35 AM   #24
Fresh Tendrils
macrumors regular

Quote:
Very cool and unique, but I'm not clear on the intended function (other than being cool and unique). It's pretty thick and expensive for an iPad case, so is it supposed to:

I often see books in second hand book stores that look like this. They usually cost around $3-15. No ones going to nick it thinking that its an expensive book. Also real expensive rare books [of thousands of dollars in value] are usually specially stored to prevent degradation. You don't just throw on a bookshelf or a desk.

I agree with you though that they have no real function except for looking cool and unique. The problem with these cases is that they are too realistic, and people handle $10 books very differently than iPads. I can easily see someone tossing it around without realizing what it is, or moving it along with other books. And its not as if iPads weigh a lot. It would be very easy for a family member/friend/colleague to mistake it for just a cheap old hardback.

The only good purpose I could see for them is as an iPad case for in your bag. If someone tried to mug you could just say "all I've got is a book." Of course, if they decide to look at the book, your in trouble.

Last edited by Fresh Tendrils; Jun 21, 2012 at 06:44 AM.
Fresh Tendrils is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:14 PM   #25
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

I think I'll swing by a used bookstore and get something comparable and make it myself. It won't be as refined, but it'll do.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion