Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Hello, it's that time of the year where I need to delete all the crap on my macbook pro and give it a good clean, inside and out. Even maybe reinstalling the whole operating system.

My specs are 2.4 Ghz i7, 8GB ram.

Firstly I've moved to a new country and want to back all my data up, any free or cheap cloud options where I can back my macbook up, so if I reinstall the OS, I can easily get everything back?

Would you suggest a program such as onyx to speed my macbook up?

Thank you :)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hello, it's that time of the year where I need to delete all the crap on my macbook pro and give it a good clean, inside and out. Even maybe reinstalling the whole operating system.

Firstly I've moved to a new country and want to back all my data up, any free or cheap cloud options where I can back my macbook up, so if I reinstall the OS, I can easily get everything back?

No free cloud backup service will allow you to backup all your stuff, that's too much data unless all you own is word documents.

Onyx will NOT "speed up" your Mac. That is a very windows-y way of thinking. OS X can take care of itself quite nicely and does not need any third party utilities to keep itself clean or running efficiently.

Unless you are experiencing problems, don't bother reinstalling OS X, it's a waste of time.

Are you even experiencing slowdowns in the first place? Or has your workload simply changed and now your computer seems as if it's not quite powerful enough?

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
No free cloud backup service will allow you to backup all your stuff, that's too much data unless all you own is word documents.

Onyx will NOT "speed up" your Mac. That is a very windows-y way of thinking. OS X can take care of itself quite nicely and does not need any third party utilities to keep itself clean or running efficiently.

Unless you are experiencing problems, don't bother reinstalling OS X, it's a waste of time.

Are you even experiencing slowdowns in the first place? Or has your workload simply changed and now your computer seems as if it's not quite powerful enough?

Slowdowns, takes a long time for my mac to start up, etc. What paid cloud backs up there? I'm willing to pay

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I like reinstalling the OS every now and then. Makes me feel better. I usually do it to clean house and just free up space from old programs that left junk behind that never got properly cleaned out. However, if you're just going to backup everything and then restore everything right back, reinstalling the OS won't get you much. If you're only going to restore documents and other files, then it might be worth it.

For backups, I use crashplan. If you have another computer or a friend who wants to do it with you, you can backup to each other for free. Or you can pay $50 or $60 US for unlimited storage a year. That's what I use, it works great. However, for rebuilding a computer, the best thing I've found is just using an external drive and using time machine or just copying the data you want off. Way faster than waiting for all your stuff to upload to the Internet and back down. It can take days to backup everything to the cloud depending on how much data you have and how fast it uploads.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

http://www.backblaze.com/

95$ for 2 years or 50$ for one. And Unlimited Backup Space :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.