Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Post non upgraded powerbooks too!!!

I have been wanting to know if the daystar cpu "upgrades" were just overclocks preformed by pulling resistors or true upgrades where the CPU was unBGAd and a new one was soldered on. I want pictures of the CPU of your powerbook and close ups of the motherboard (up close enough to see resistors). I will post my 12" 1.5 GHz later today.

Last edited:

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Wikipedia would answer this question for you.

For starters, it's not so easy to modify logic boards for laptops due to the tighter layouts and smaller components.

Secondly, it was an entirely different G4 chip, so to my knowledge, it involved swapping out the entire logic board for a custom one.

Third, it's not worth overclocking laptops generally, especially G4 PowerPC computers as they are already close to or past the optimal clock point, after which power consumption vs performance loses linearity and becomes exponential, yielding highly diminished returns while producing absurd heat/power draw. So basically, whatever it is you're trying to do, don't do it. It's not worth it, especially since even an overclocked G4 will still be pretty slow all things considered.

Lastly, here: http://bit.ly/Y8RWfM

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Same way with most of his questions.

In another thread he claimed to have it running at 2GHz.

That project completly failed... Had to underckock it to base!

----------

I am now just going to reapply thermal paste to the cpu?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Secondly, it was an entirely different G4 chip, so to my knowledge, it involved swapping out the entire logic board for a custom one.

Not entirely, just newer revision. And it didn't involve custom logic board because whole 7400 series is pin-to-pin compatible. That's why it was 48h service. Desolder old one, solder new, set multiplier and new core voltage, few tests and back to customer. That's why these upgrades ended like they ended ;)

http://www.macworld.com/article/1049409/daystar.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.