Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Hi, should I buy a machine now or should I wait for Broadwell?

Will the 15" rMBP be cheaper if I wait a few years?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Broadwell arrives in 2014, Haswell arrives in Summer/Autumn 2013.
And yes, the MacBook Pro with Retina Display might get less expensive and cost only as much as the cMBPs cost now.

As for upgrading to a 2012 or 2013 or 2014 MBP, it depends on your unstated computational needs and if the 2011 and 2012 Macs in your signature do not satisfy your computational needs anymore.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Broadwell arrives in 2014, Haswell arrives in Summer/Autumn 2013.
And yes, the MacBook Pro with Retina Display might get less expensive and cost only as much as the cMBPs cost now.

As for upgrading to a 2012 or 2013 or 2014 MBP, it depends on your unstated computational needs and if the 2011 and 2012 Macs in your signature do not satisfy your computational needs anymore.
I guess we'll see if Apple drop the price of the rMBP, look at the first gen Macbook Air, it was very expensive when it debuted. I guess we'll see. For now I'll be waiting for a Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake machine.

Another benefits to waiting will be I should get OS X 10.9 for free; right?

I know it's stupid to wait for the next big thing... but if I can save perhaps hundred pounds from waiting; then I will do so. What are the other benefits to waiting?

Thanks.

Last edited:

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I guess we'll see if Apple drop the price of the rMBP, look at the first gen Macbook Air, it was very expensive when it debuted. I guess we'll see. For now I'll be waiting for a Haswell/Broadwell/Skylake machine.

Another benefits to waiting will be I should get OS X 10.9 for free; right?

I know it's stupid to wait for the next big thing... but if I can save perhaps hundred pounds from waiting; then I will do so. What are the other benefits to waiting?

Thanks.

Or the price could go up, never know its not unheard of. The benefits from the newer IB chips and Haswell is nominal imo, most users will not see the significant gains Intel touts in the real world. Of course try explaining that to some of the folks here that lack reason...

Broadwell will be a significant gain since it goes 14nm, Haswell is just a stop gap between IB and Broadwell. Intel has to release something to keep business customers/consumers interest, not because its necessarily better. Think nVidia, the 400 series was a joke, but like Haswell it was a needed small incremental stop gap to keep up with the competition and give consumers/business something new until the 500 series was out. I'm still not sure the logic people operate on here, but hey to each their own.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Or the price could go up, never know its not unheard of. The benefits from the newer IB chips and Haswell is nominal imo, most users will not see the significant gains Intel touts in the real world. Of course try explaining that to some of the folks here that lack reason...

Broadwell will be a significant gain since it goes 14nm, Haswell is just a stop gap between IB and Broadwell. Intel has to release something to keep business customers/consumers interest, not because its necessarily better. Think nVidia, the 400 series was a joke, but like Haswell it was a needed small incremental stop gap to keep up with the competition and give consumers/business something new until the 500 series was out. I'm still not sure the logic people operate on here, but hey to each their own.

Even though Haswell is the tock and Broadwell is the tick?

Honestly there doesn't seem to be much hype over Haswell but until it's out everything is hearsay and speculation.

Modernape

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
As I've said elsewhere - Whatever you buy, whenever you buy it, there will be a refresh six months later which will be better, then a significant spec shift a year later which will be better still, and then further improvements the year after that which will make you consider upgrading. There is rarely a 'best time to buy' - so buy the best right now and upgrade when you can afford to, that's all you need to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.