Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:06 PM   #26
Giuly
Banned

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Get a pentalobe screwdriver and 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Take the screen off and rinse it throughout with the alcohol.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:12 PM   #27
sectime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
Get a pentalobe screwdriver and 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Take the screen off and rinse it throughout with the alcohol.
Not the dumbest thing I have read but close.
sectime is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:37 PM   #28
Bahroo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808? View Post
I needs to be inside an airtight container (covered in dry rice) to have any real use.
okay its in a airtight ziploc bag i put it in there a lil while ago
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:01 PM   #29
wbensky
macrumors member

iPhone 5 Durability

This is somewhat off-topic, but it seems like iPhone 5s are a lot more durable than most people think. If you want proof, check this guys Youtube channel out.
wbensky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:02 AM   #30
shadow puppet
macrumors 6502

I hate to say this but it doesn't look like Apple Care covers water damage:
iPhone and iPod: Liquid damage is not covered by warranty

But I do hope things turn out okay for your phone.
shadow puppet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:18 AM   #31
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
I took a LED flashlight and looked into the headphone jack and the SIM card slot and the water sensors are not pink...
Thats actually disturbing. Just think, the motherboard in my refurb iPhone 5 could have been dropped in the toilet in its previous life and could have still passed testing for re-use.

I also wonder how many iphones that fell in water and didnt have their sensors tripped are being put up for sale.
  3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:12 AM   #32
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow puppet View Post
I hate to say this but it doesn't look like Apple Care covers water damage:
iPhone and iPod: Liquid damage is not covered by warranty

But I do hope things turn out okay for your phone.
Of course it's not covered by the warranty... it's a form of damage to the phone.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:18 AM   #33
shadow puppet
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBook View Post
Of course it's not covered by the warranty... it's a form of damage to the phone.
I agree but made mention of it as others in the thread made mention of Apple Care being of help.
shadow puppet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:36 AM   #34
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow puppet View Post
I agree but made mention of it as others in the thread made mention of Apple Care being of help.
I think they were referring to AppleCare+, which does covered accidental damage. It's only available in the USA (as far as I know), which sucks.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:47 AM   #35
Giuly
Banned

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sectime View Post
Dito.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFixit
Completely disassemble your device removing all cables and opening all connectors. To displace any remaining liquid around or under any components of the logic board submerge it completely in a suitably sized container filled with isopropyl alcohol. Ideally use a 90% or higher concentration available from a pharmacist or drug store. You can use distilled or deionized water as an alternative cleaning fluid, although this will take longer to dry. Avoid solvents such as ketone, acetone, or naphtha.

Last edited by Giuly; Feb 21, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:29 AM   #36
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

Quote:
i wasnt using the bathroom, i was cleaning my phone and case there and it just basically fell out my hand...
what were you cleaning it with? a wet cloth?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:53 AM   #37
sectime
Banned

Quote:
You only quoted a small part of the "Generalized water damage guide"
Step 8 of that is is what has been recommended multiple times here.

If you are not confident about disassembling your device you can attempt drying it by burying it in a container of uncooked rice for several days. In some cases the rice will successfully draw out the remaining liquid. Change the orientation of the device occasionally in its rice bath to give the liquid every chance to drain. Avoid using salt, sugar, or flour. Disassembling and cleaning the device is always the best way to prevent corrosion, but if the device was not submerged this drying may in some cases be enough to prevent further damage.
sectime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:02 AM   #38
Giuly
Banned

Quote:
Disassembling and cleaning the device is always the best way to prevent corrosion, but if the device was not submerged this drying may in some cases be enough to prevent further damage.
How is 'dropping it into the toilet' not submerging it?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:52 AM   #39
iRepairParts
macrumors regular

Ahh the dreaded toilet fall! Make sure your device is off, and get ready for some dis-assembly. Its not as daunting as you may think, and with some patience you have a very high chance of saving your iPhone.

The best thing to do at this point is to dis-assemble your device completely. Purchase some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, some silica gel (the little packets with the small balls that say do not eat), and start cleaning the internals. Water can corrode the internals of an iPhone to a point that it can fry the matherboard.

Once your device is dis-assembled, place the components inside of the silica gel for anywhere from 12-24 hours. Once you remove the components from the silica gel, clean all connection points, flex cables, and other areas with the 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. Make sure you don't leave behind any areas that look corroded. I like to use a small magnifying glass to thoroughly inspect the connection points, and make sure I didn't miss anything. After you clean everything, you can put your device back together, and see if you have successfully saved your device! We have a had a super high success rate with saving devices with this method.
iRepairParts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:08 AM   #40
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Silica Gel is the ****. Use that. Much better

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectime View Post
You clearly don't understand 99.9% Isopropyl. I had my sister murder (or so we thought) a MacBook with milk. It turned off almost instantly after it fell on the computer and boy was there a lot, around 500ml. Took it apart, removed the HD and the disc drive, gave the lower case a bath in 99% isopropyl, put it back together. Perfect. Would not have survived without it.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:28 AM   #41
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
I read so many of these stories, why do people continue to get their iPhone out while they are having a slash, they last what? 15-30 seconds normally? You can live without your phone for THAT length of time surely?
Sometimes people like to look at some of their favorite photos and video clips while in the toilet area enjoying themselves and when they get a bit too excited and over-reach themselves that is when droppage can occur.

Apparently, I mean it's never happened to me.
wrkactjob is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:43 AM   #42
Bahroo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Thats actually disturbing. Just think, the motherboard in my refurb iPhone 5 could have been dropped in the toilet in its previous life and could have still passed testing for re-use.

I also wonder how many iphones that fell in water and didnt have their sensors tripped are being put up for sale.
What I am thinking is that since i pulled the phone out literally within 1 second it fell in, the water didnt even have enough time to fill up in the phone ...AND i dried it off immediately after so hopefully I might of just saved it
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:06 PM   #43
shadow puppet
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBook View Post
I think they were referring to AppleCare+, which does covered accidental damage. It's only available in the USA (as far as I know), which sucks.
Ah! Copy that. I must be living in a dark cave as I haven't heard of it yet. 'Course until getting my new iphone, I haven't had Apple Care in eons since my others have expired. Thanks for the heads up. I am in the U.S. and will look into it for my new phone.
shadow puppet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:51 PM   #44
sectime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post

----------

You clearly don't understand 99.9% Isopropyl. I had my sister murder (or so we thought) a MacBook with milk. It turned off almost instantly after it fell on the computer and boy was there a lot, around 500ml. Took it apart, removed the HD and the disc drive, gave the lower case a bath in 99% isopropyl, put it back together. Perfect. Would not have survived without it.
Clearly
Big Macbook VS tiny phone with tools and skills needed. You did read the first sentence of Step 8 ?

Last edited by sectime; Feb 21, 2013 at 02:58 PM.
sectime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:53 PM   #45
SDub90
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post

----------

70% (or something low like that) has saved many phones for me. The higher the better.
SDub90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:56 PM   #46
sectime
Banned

Quote:
How is 'dropping it into the toilet' not submerging it?
Quote:
What I am thinking is that since i pulled the phone out literally within 1 second it fell in, the water didnt even have enough time to fill up in the phone ...AND i dried it off immediately after so hopefully I might of just saved it
This ^^
The typical oh crap !! bionic man, ninja move, like hitting a spider 30 times in a second or two
sectime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:35 PM   #47
whosnut
macrumors newbie

I agree with the rice and don't forget to give it a swipe with a Clorox wipe.
whosnut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:37 PM   #48
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

And perhaps a dab of antibacterial soap.

After all, it did fall in the same place you take a dump. Imagine how dirty it is!

Yep, maybe mix a dab of Palm Olive with the alcohol.
Luis2004 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:59 PM   #49
Bahroo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis2004 View Post
And perhaps a dab of antibacterial soap.

After all, it did fall in the same place you take a dump. Imagine how dirty it is!

Yep, maybe mix a dab of Palm Olive with the alcohol.
I wasnt taking a **** or pissing, it fell in clean toilet water

And i dont know if i feel comfortable opening up my iPhone... I mean the water sensors on the i5 didnt even go off so im assuming that it didnt even have enough time to fill up with water
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:37 AM   #50
iKaushal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
follow this advice and also throw that bag of rice after you are done!! :d
rofl :d

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone