Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
What is the fastest way to burn a .MKV file to a DVD.

I have one at the moment chugging through Toast and so far it has been 3 hrs to get to 23% just Encoding.

Last edited:

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
What is the fastest way to burn a .MKV file to a DVD.

I have one at the moment chugging through Toast and so far it has been 3 hrs to get to 23% just Encoding.

What's the goal when you're done?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The computer has to decode what is probably H.264 HD content and encode into MPEG2 SD content. You could probably speed this up by using Handbrake for that part of the job. Handbrake will make good use of all of your CPUs and cores.

Hopefully Toast is smart enough to use the MPEG2 results directly instead re-encoding it again just for the hell of it. Choosing the right output from Handbrake is probably critical.

This isn't really a Mac Pro question; you might get much better answers in the Home Theater Forum.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Thanks all, I know where I am going with these files now ;)

GEORGE-GREEK

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
GREECE
Thanks all, I know where I am going with these files now ;)

I think the "elgato turbo.264 hd usb sticκ" help the toast to accelerate processes, and nvidia cards(cuda) help the toast. I use "iskysoft video converter" its very quickly, from "mkv to mov" and then I put it to toast, toast I think when see the mov files will use more memory to get the job done

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.