Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:14 PM   #1
bonskovsky
Banned

Siri's ranking in virtual assistance land.

A study published yesterday by Indiana-based Butler University compared the performance of a range of search engines and Q&A sites on mobile devices. It found that ChaCha delivered the highest quality responses consistently across the largest group of categories and question types. It has been widely believe among the Apple community that the current version of the software is not in it's final state. It's almost akin to Apple's Maps, that had been rushed out before it was really ready. Popularity can hurt a brand, I've seen this happen again and again, it's this habit they've gotten into where they're forced to release something great year on year on year. Apple cannot catch up.

Both Siri and Maps are in unfinished states.

I tried this for myself, little did I know anything about Chacha, but it did give legit answers on things that I was actually interested in, which didn't happen to be Sports or Movies by the way.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Feb 20, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:17 PM   #2
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Cha-Cha is still in business? Wow, I'm surprised. My wife used to work for them as one of the respondants, she quit because things were going downhill with them slowly.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

That accuracy of 37% shows that this is a horrible study. Siri has to be at least 80% accurate.

Don't believe every study you read.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:23 PM   #4
hyteckit

Answers.com? Really?

I found answers.com to be SPAM mostly.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Android_or...oid%20or%20ios

I ask Android or iOS.

Answer: iOS
hyteckit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:28 PM   #5
bonskovsky
Banned

The most nonsensical thing that Siri does is direct you to Google. I mean, I'd rather get an answer that sounds almost like something I wanted to know. Chacha will give you that.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:44 PM   #6
JAT
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
That accuracy of 37% shows that this is a horrible study. Siri has to be at least 80% accurate.

It's horrible for me. 37% would be awesome.
JAT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:47 PM   #7
virginblue4
macrumors 65816

I can honestly say Siri is 99.9% accurate for me. I never had any problems and neither does anyone that I know.

I simply don't understand how so many people can be having problems?

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8b2
iPad mini with Retina display, silver, iOS 7.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:53 PM   #8
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

Where do you have the numbers from ? Did Siri told you ?

I still struggle with Siris voice regocnition and available "knowledge" outside US. Right now not much more then a fancy toy; but high potential.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:58 PM   #9
err404
macrumors 68000

Was this a comparison of virtual assistants, or just search engines with voice recognition? It makes me wonder what people think Siri is meant for. Personally I don’t have much need for Siri to perform a voice web search, rather I use it as a virtual assistant. I find that Siri does a great job at handling taking notes, reminders, appointments, timers, alarms, SMS, email, navigation, etc… Basically it excels in the areas that I want to use hands free.
That doesn’t mean Siri is perfect. I’d love to see it be a better research assistant, but interacting with my personal information is more important.
err404 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:03 PM   #10
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by err404 View Post
Was this a comparison of virtual assistants, or just search engines with voice recognition? It makes me wonder what people think Siri is meant for. Personally I don’t have much need for Siri to perform a voice web search, rather I use it as a virtual assistant. I find that Siri does a great job at handling taking notes, reminders, appointments, timers, alarms, SMS, email, navigation, etc… Basically it excels in the areas that I want to use hands free.
That doesn’t mean Siri is perfect. I’d love to see it be a better research assistant, but interacting with my personal information is more important.
I understand why Apple shut down marketing for Siri and used a different campaign, almost as if they took a step back and said,"Okay, let's be realistic this time."

The first marketing for Siri was completely and irreverently false.

I don't know when this program is going to actually become something of which I can dedicate my attention to, but currently. I don't care for it.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Feb 20, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:05 PM   #11
err404
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
I can honestly say Siri is 99.9% accurate for me. I never had any problems and neither does anyone that I know.

I simply don't understand how so many people can be having problems?
For me Siri is more accurate then Google Now, but I don’t have any noticeable accent. From what I gather Google is much better at recognizing accents.
BTW – I find Siri can not understand me unless it is using the built in noise canceling mic. It struggles when using the wired or Bluetooth headsets.
err404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:16 PM   #12
bonskovsky
Banned

The thing about Siri is that it's not three-dimensional, it serves one purpose: to do things one would normally do only with voice control.

How is it a virtual assistant when it says the exact same things over and over again. Like a real toy.

It seemed like back then it had more to say, but now, the responses seem to have been cut back to about no more than 4.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:16 PM   #13
Itxdjx
macrumors member

The only thing Siri ever does right for me is send a text and initiate a call other than that she is almost useless. To get answers I would rather pull out now or the wolfram app (yes I know they are both part of Siri services) but she never fully understands some what complex sentences you have to have a convo with her to do most things right. And by then I could of found it easier and faster using other methods. I agree with this study google now is better but still not perfect.

And saying Siri is not in its finale stage is an excuse. I think if you ask all the other services they are always continuously upgrading. So they are all not in there finale stage.
Itxdjx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:22 PM   #14
bonskovsky
Banned

There had been rumors that Apple's recent Siri commercials served as admittance that Siri is a joke. Do you think there's some truth to it?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:53 PM   #15
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
There had been rumors that Apple's recent Siri commercials served as admittance that Siri is a joke. Do you think there's some truth to it?
link? Source?

If you use Siri for what it's made for (a personal assistant to streamline your daily activities) and not a random useless fact finder, then Siri is great. Yes, it still has it's moments for me when the voice recognition messes up a few words in my sentence, but overall it's been great.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:03 PM   #16
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
link? Source?

If you use Siri for what it's made for (a personal assistant to streamline your daily activities) and not a random useless fact finder, then Siri is great. Yes, it still has it's moments for me when the voice recognition messes up a few words in my sentence, but overall it's been great.
Suddenly Apple gets that Siri is a huge joke

That's the story that multiple news sites ran. I was disappointed because it's not what I wanted to Siri doing. It wouldn't just be a useless fact finder. I think Evi effectively proved what that direction will take the company and the user.

But doing the things that it currently does in a smarter way. Part if the reason people respect Siri is because if the characterization they gave it. So it must be approached in many different ways.
bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:34 PM   #17
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

I'll have to read more into what that person was suing Apple about. They thought the commercial was misleading because they thought it could do more? I'm kind of confused.

I think Siri has a ways to go before being as useful as Apple wants it to be. I should have stated in my other posts that the few times I use it it's been great. I don't even use it to it's full potential or as much as I want because I just don't have a lot of things I need siri for besides hands free texting or using it with maps.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:58 PM   #18
bonskovsky
Banned

We're talking about a virtual assistant who's command is your wish. There's an infinite amount of things a technology like that could do, but we're only bound by its intelligence.

That binding has proved to be substantial.
bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:52 PM   #19
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

Apparently the author's never tried ChaCha before. $100 says if the author actually asked them a question not related to entertainment, he'd get an off-topic answer.

Besides, it's kind of unfair to include human-run services in ranking virtual assistants. Not only that, but ChaCha doesn't do everything Siri can.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:33 PM   #20
bonskovsky
Banned

It's funny that they would actually put "virtual assistant" for Siri and not structured data, crowdsourcing, or algorithm. Yes, with cha-cha the answers are a tad bit off-topic. But I get more of a sense that it understands what I'm saying than with Siri.

I don't really trust Siri.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:48 AM   #21
syd430

Don't worry guys, I haven't heard of this University so I doubt the results are reliable.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:07 AM   #22
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:

No way is Siri 80% accurate. It's accurate if you ask one of the few pre defined novelty sentences but once you start actually giving it more complicated commands it doesn't work at least 80% of the time.
macingman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:55 AM   #23
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
No way is Siri 80% accurate. It's accurate if you ask one of the few pre defined novelty sentences but once you start actually giving it more complicated commands it doesn't work at least 80% of the time.
Yes, 50% is the base here. Never
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:26 AM   #24
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Well I just hope Apple has something better for Siri planned this year, because Scott Forstall's presentation of Siri can do sport scores and look up places to eat was a total waste of time.

Glad he is gone, could not stand listening to him, let Tim, Jon, Bob, and Phil do all the talking, they are easier on the ears to listen to anyway
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:03 AM   #25
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Don't worry guys, I haven't heard of this University so I doubt the results are reliable.
Well if YOU never heard of Butler that must mean something! Lol

Seriously though, its a university if Indianapolis I believe. Regardless I've heard of it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone