Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Screen-Shot-2013-02-19-at-9.41.54-AM-600x454.png

A study published yesterday by Indiana-based Butler University compared the performance of a range of search engines and Q&A sites on mobile devices. It found that ChaCha delivered the highest quality responses consistently across the largest group of categories and question types. It has been widely believe among the Apple community that the current version of the software is not in it's final state. It's almost akin to Apple's Maps, that had been rushed out before it was really ready. Popularity can hurt a brand, I've seen this happen again and again, it's this habit they've gotten into where they're forced to release something great year on year on year. Apple cannot catch up.

Both Siri and Maps are in unfinished states.

I tried this for myself, little did I know anything about Chacha, but it did give legit answers on things that I was actually interested in, which didn't happen to be Sports or Movies by the way.

Last edited:

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Cha-Cha is still in business? Wow, I'm surprised. My wife used to work for them as one of the respondants, she quit because things were going downhill with them slowly.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
That accuracy of 37% shows that this is a horrible study. Siri has to be at least 80% accurate.

Don't believe every study you read.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
The most nonsensical thing that Siri does is direct you to Google. I mean, I'd rather get an answer that sounds almost like something I wanted to know. Chacha will give you that.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I can honestly say Siri is 99.9% accurate for me. I never had any problems and neither does anyone that I know.

I simply don't understand how so many people can be having problems? :confused:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
That accuracy of 37% shows that this is a horrible study. Siri has to be at least 80% accurate.

Where do you have the numbers from ? Did Siri told you ?

I still struggle with Siris voice regocnition and available "knowledge" outside US. Right now not much more then a fancy toy; but high potential.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Was this a comparison of virtual assistants, or just search engines with voice recognition? It makes me wonder what people think Siri is meant for. Personally I don’t have much need for Siri to perform a voice web search, rather I use it as a virtual assistant. I find that Siri does a great job at handling taking notes, reminders, appointments, timers, alarms, SMS, email, navigation, etc… Basically it excels in the areas that I want to use hands free.
That doesn’t mean Siri is perfect. I’d love to see it be a better research assistant, but interacting with my personal information is more important.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Was this a comparison of virtual assistants, or just search engines with voice recognition? It makes me wonder what people think Siri is meant for. Personally I don’t have much need for Siri to perform a voice web search, rather I use it as a virtual assistant. I find that Siri does a great job at handling taking notes, reminders, appointments, timers, alarms, SMS, email, navigation, etc… Basically it excels in the areas that I want to use hands free.
That doesn’t mean Siri is perfect. I’d love to see it be a better research assistant, but interacting with my personal information is more important.

I understand why Apple shut down marketing for Siri and used a different campaign, almost as if they took a step back and said,"Okay, let's be realistic this time."

The first marketing for Siri was completely and irreverently false.

I don't know when this program is going to actually become something of which I can dedicate my attention to, but currently. I don't care for it.

Last edited:

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I can honestly say Siri is 99.9% accurate for me. I never had any problems and neither does anyone that I know.

I simply don't understand how so many people can be having problems? :confused:

For me Siri is more accurate then Google Now, but I don’t have any noticeable accent. From what I gather Google is much better at recognizing accents.
BTW – I find Siri can not understand me unless it is using the built in noise canceling mic. It struggles when using the wired or Bluetooth headsets.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
The thing about Siri is that it's not three-dimensional, it serves one purpose: to do things one would normally do only with voice control.

How is it a virtual assistant when it says the exact same things over and over again. Like a real toy.

It seemed like back then it had more to say, but now, the responses seem to have been cut back to about no more than 4.

Itxdjx

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
R.I.
The only thing Siri ever does right for me is send a text and initiate a call other than that she is almost useless. To get answers I would rather pull out now or the wolfram app (yes I know they are both part of Siri services) but she never fully understands some what complex sentences you have to have a convo with her to do most things right. And by then I could of found it easier and faster using other methods. I agree with this study google now is better but still not perfect.

And saying Siri is not in its finale stage is an excuse. I think if you ask all the other services they are always continuously upgrading. So they are all not in there finale stage.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
There had been rumors that Apple's recent Siri commercials served as admittance that Siri is a joke. Do you think there's some truth to it?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
There had been rumors that Apple's recent Siri commercials served as admittance that Siri is a joke. Do you think there's some truth to it?

link? Source?

If you use Siri for what it's made for (a personal assistant to streamline your daily activities) and not a random useless fact finder, then Siri is great. Yes, it still has it's moments for me when the voice recognition messes up a few words in my sentence, but overall it's been great.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
link? Source?

If you use Siri for what it's made for (a personal assistant to streamline your daily activities) and not a random useless fact finder, then Siri is great. Yes, it still has it's moments for me when the voice recognition messes up a few words in my sentence, but overall it's been great.

Suddenly Apple gets that Siri is a huge joke

That's the story that multiple news sites ran. I was disappointed because it's not what I wanted to Siri doing. It wouldn't just be a useless fact finder. I think Evi effectively proved what that direction will take the company and the user.

But doing the things that it currently does in a smarter way. Part if the reason people respect Siri is because if the characterization they gave it. So it must be approached in many different ways.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'll have to read more into what that person was suing Apple about. They thought the commercial was misleading because they thought it could do more? I'm kind of confused.

I think Siri has a ways to go before being as useful as Apple wants it to be. I should have stated in my other posts that the few times I use it it's been great. I don't even use it to it's full potential or as much as I want because I just don't have a lot of things I need siri for besides hands free texting or using it with maps.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
We're talking about a virtual assistant who's command is your wish. There's an infinite amount of things a technology like that could do, but we're only bound by its intelligence.

That binding has proved to be substantial.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Apparently the author's never tried ChaCha before. $100 says if the author actually asked them a question not related to entertainment, he'd get an off-topic answer.

Besides, it's kind of unfair to include human-run services in ranking virtual assistants. Not only that, but ChaCha doesn't do everything Siri can.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
It's funny that they would actually put "virtual assistant" for Siri and not structured data, crowdsourcing, or algorithm. Yes, with cha-cha the answers are a tad bit off-topic. But I get more of a sense that it understands what I'm saying than with Siri.

I don't really trust Siri.

S

syd430

Don't worry guys, I haven't heard of this University so I doubt the results are reliable.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

No way is Siri 80% accurate. It's accurate if you ask one of the few pre defined novelty sentences but once you start actually giving it more complicated commands it doesn't work at least 80% of the time.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
No way is Siri 80% accurate. It's accurate if you ask one of the few pre defined novelty sentences but once you start actually giving it more complicated commands it doesn't work at least 80% of the time.

Yes, 50% is the base here. Never

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Well I just hope Apple has something better for Siri planned this year, because Scott Forstall's presentation of Siri can do sport scores and look up places to eat was a total waste of time.

Glad he is gone, could not stand listening to him, let Tim, Jon, Bob, and Phil do all the talking, they are easier on the ears to listen to anyway

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Don't worry guys, I haven't heard of this University so I doubt the results are reliable.

Well if YOU never heard of Butler that must mean something! Lol

Seriously though, its a university if Indianapolis I believe. Regardless I've heard of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.