Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrongmark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I have a pretty big library of films in my iTunes library (about 400GB - mostly my own bluray rips for ATV3). I'm using an intel iMac that's a few years old.

I have an external 1TB HDD USB which is partitioned into two 500GB. One is for Time Machine backups and the other holds my iTunes library. I know this is not an ideal solution and I'm running out of space on both partitions. I'm also conscious that if my ext HDD fails I'll loose my library.

I'm thinking of buying an additional 3TB ext HDD for the iTunes library and then repartition my existing 1TB ext HDD for Time Machine. Although this still doesn't solve the fact that my iTunes library isn't backed up. Any suggestions welcomed as I don't really know what I'm doing.

I'd also like to encrypt everything so that in the event of my iMac and/or external being stolen nothing is accessible, I tried to encrypt my existing ext HDD but it says something about a GUID partition being required? help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.