Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:40 PM   #101
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

Early scan of the comments left me happy: didn't see anybody coming out to defend poor old ATT's right to limit what we can do with things we pay for.
Signed it, happily.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:45 PM   #102
MSM Hobbes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk400 View Post
Buy an unlocked one in the other country?

----------

In other countries you can get a 64gb iphone 5 for free on a 2 year contract, with reasonable and affordable monthly rates. You pay a lot if you exit early, but you can unlock the phone at any time with a simple phone call. You are contractually bound to make the monthly payments, even if you lose the phone, sell it, use it on a different carrier etc. The telco gets their revenue stream (or a lump sum if you break contract), and your liberties aren't squashed. I don't see how simply unlocking the phone can (justifiably) affect cost.

Im not a US resident, so it doesnt affect me, but it is an interesting case study of how powerful the big US companies are.
I am an American resident / citizen, and what I've bolded of your post is IMHO the undeniable fact of what this country actually has become and is… ruled by corporations (the big get bigger) and their lobbyists (who the gov't actually report to). The "people" are just fodder.

I say this as a believer of free market society, where companies should have freedoms, but to manipulate markets should be regulated, so that the "people's" rights and freedoms have first voice.
MSM Hobbes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:46 PM   #103
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

I love how there are less than 5,000 needed!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:50 PM   #104
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.mac View Post
I disagree.

Politics out of this forum?

I could, for example, presume you to be a tea party zealot, but I could be wrong...
no politics, i lived in few countries other than USA, it is my phone, I can do whatever I want with it. I have paid $650 for unlocked phone, I have paid $199 for 2 year contract phone, i have done both ways!!!
shanmugam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:58 PM   #105
Swift
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk007 View Post
I don't get why need it to be illegal. They could just make the contract exit so expensive that it isn't worth it. You gradually pay off the phone and if you exit in the first few month you pay extra or hand the hardware back.

It is done already they don't need to criminalize anything. In any case I doubt the ban would deter anyone anyway. In some european contracts it is said to be illegal and nobody cares. If it is possible, people end up doing it.
No, they can't. Right now, if you want to get out at any point in the contract, they have to let you out with a prorated amount. In other words, if you've been on contract for a year, you'd only pay half of the amount left on your subsidy. They used to keep it jacked up until very near the end of the contract. The FCC or the FTC stepped in and said, no, you can't. Sen. Klobuchar had something to do with that, I think.
Swift is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:15 PM   #106
AmpSkillz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk007 View Post
I don't get why need it to be illegal. They could just make the contract exit so expensive that it isn't worth it. You gradually pay off the phone and if you exit in the first few month you pay extra or hand the hardware back.

It is done already they don't need to criminalize anything. In any case I doubt the ban would deter anyone anyway. In some european contracts it is said to be illegal and nobody cares. If it is possible, people end up doing it.
Verizon and AT&T did that

they were both being sued and losing

now they pro rate exiting the contract
AmpSkillz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:23 PM   #107
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Seriously it's just a phone. Doesn't the US government have better things to worry about?
Obviously not.
\-V-/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:29 PM   #108
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

It's very simple, if I bought the phone and my contract is over, I should do whatever I want with the phone!
imageWIS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:36 PM   #109
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon44 View Post
I'll never understand America and its 'freedom'

I think to be able to trust your government to do what's best and safest for you is actually really important.
Now I understand why we won our freedom from the british.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:05 PM   #110
AmpSkillz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
I love how there are less than 5,000 needed!
already less than 3,000 now

should easily pass 100,000 before morning
AmpSkillz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:17 PM   #111
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502

Buy a full priced phone that is unlocked...most people in the states don't realize their phones are subsidized by their service contract.
itsamacthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:23 PM   #112
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
As much as I would like to think this may be a glimmer of hope, this will probably make no difference because we have a government owned by these very corporations and the politicians in office are spineless to do anything about it.
This is what happens when corporations regulate the government instead of the government regulating the corporations.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:25 PM   #113
twigman08
macrumors 6502

I signed. I believe it should be legal though sadly I feel nothing will be done with it even with this petition
twigman08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:26 PM   #114
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon44 View Post
I'll never understand America and its 'freedom'
Me either ... As a Canadian we often shake our head at disbelief at some of the things coming out of American (gun control debate, cell phone locking laws, etc.)

The concept of "freedom" in the United States has been perverted to some extent. Instead of allowing the government to serve the people, it has begun to serve the corporations (DMCA, this new law, etc.)

It maybe too late now, but if Americans have trusted their government a bit more and provided their government with proper regulatory powers, it may have actually been able to keep the corporations at bay.

But I fear it is too late now... the corporations of America have their tentacles so deep in Washington that it isn't letting go anytime soon.

With the way things are going down south (economy, new laws, etc.), I wonder if Canada will need its own version of the Minutemen (Red Coats/Loyalists?) to protect our southern border from waves of Americans seeking refuge in the True North Strong and Free

Last edited by coolspot18; Feb 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
coolspot18 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:48 PM   #115
NeverhadaPC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
It maybe too late now, but if Americans have trusted their government a bit more and provided their government with proper regulatory powers, it may have actually been able to keep the corporations at bay.
Growing up in Europe, I initially believed this to be the fulcrum of the argument for why Americans were X, Y, Z. However, after spending 10 years in US, I am now leaning heavily towards other points now. For sake of brevity I will exclude them from this post. I will say, that today the US Government consists of pro-corporate players who essentially have (legally) opened the social coffers to private profit-making entities. The best customer in the world is the US Tax Payer, because you only have convince 538 Congressmen/women that you deserve a share of the Trillion dollar pie... Goodnight, sleep tight
NeverhadaPC is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:58 PM   #116
figgnuttan
macrumors newbie

Unlocking cell phones

After reading through twenty or so posts, I thought I would not read the reason for the law in the bigger picture.

People from the Middle East come here, or live here, with relatives back in their previous country; buy vast numbers of cell phones to mail back east.

Unlocked phones are a desirable component of "road side bombs"

Don't think so? Read, read, read!......the info is there if you look for It...
......hmmmmmm........

No other posts? Amazing!
figgnuttan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:18 AM   #117
pure3d2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
Haha, so true. American elementary school teaches you to worship the Founding Fathers and protect the right to bear all weapons of any kind. I know because I've been there.
The founding fathers had enough foresight to put in a provision that allows people to protect themselves or fight back against tyranny.

Since we're on the subject of tyranny, do you know who was against allowing citizens to bear arms? Hitler, Stalin, and Mao Zedong (amount other facists/dictators) were all against private gun ownership.

Hitler convinced the Germans to outlaw guns before rounding up the Jews and putting them into the ghettos and then finally shipping them off to the death camps. Stalin slaughtered millions of Russians after guns were outlawed.

The 2nd Amendment was not intended for people to have guns to go hunting or shooting paper targets. It's so that the people are not defenseless against their government.

It's much easier to subdue unarmed people.
pure3d2 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:29 AM   #118
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

i signed petition anyway. not sure if anyone in govt cares about these petitions or not.

1749 needed...
shanmugam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:45 AM   #119
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure3d2 View Post
The founding fathers had enough foresight to put in a provision that allows people to protect themselves or fight back against tyranny.

Since we're on the subject of tyranny, do you know who was against allowing citizens to bear arms? Hitler, Stalin, and Mao Zedong (amount other facists/dictators) were all against private gun ownership.

Hitler convinced the Germans to outlaw guns before rounding up the Jews and putting them into the ghettos and then finally shipping them off to the death camps. Stalin slaughtered millions of Russians after guns were outlawed.

The 2nd Amendment was not intended for people to have guns to go hunting or shooting paper targets. It's so that the people are not defenseless against their government.

It's much easier to subdue unarmed people.
It's easy to subdue armed people, too. Tanks, planes, boats, missiles.

You know who is against private gun ownership? Many European politicians today. Guns are outlawed. I don't see any mass murders, either by the government or by whackos with guns. Your logic is fragmented. You might as well have just said that not giving all citizens infinite money is bad because Hitler didn't do it! Or people with two feet are evil because Stalin had two feet. Learn the difference between IF and IFF; it's something that Americans lack knowledge in, so you'd be ahead.

Last edited by Fatalbert; Feb 21, 2013 at 12:54 AM.
Fatalbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:56 AM   #120
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by objc View Post
If you've paid it off, it's yours. How is it that a telecom company can tell you what network you can use YOUR device with?
Precisely! (How do you spell Extortion)
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:46 AM   #121
pacalis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
A great point. It is about trust.

It is in the gun debate too. Ironically if they trusted other Americans there wouldn't be so many guns out there, but now that they're are so many guns, its harder to trust people, and so people want more to protect themselves.

Quote:
With the way things are going down south (economy, new laws, etc.), I wonder if Canada will need its own version of the Minutemen (Red Coats/Loyalists?) to protect our southern border from waves of Americans seeking refuge in the True North Strong and Free
Probably not. America is becoming awash in energy, which should drive the economy for years to come. And when there's money about, American's forget all their problems and Canada will look like a drag.
pacalis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:47 AM   #122
leon44
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxcooldude View Post
Now I understand why we won our freedom from the british.
Freedom is a powerful word but its not really accurate, what freedom do you have today that someone living in Britain doesn't other than your need to own a gun to protect yourself from the armed mass general public
leon44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:37 AM   #123
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Fewer than 400 left to go...
ArtOfWarfare is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:58 AM   #124
ggibson913
macrumors regular

Signed

I signed only 345 signatures to go
ggibson913 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:05 AM   #125
woodbine
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
I already went around AT&T to get my phone unlocked for overseas, but signed this anyway. The fact an 83 year old Reagan appointee was the final say in this blows my mind, half the people over 65 I know barely understand how to turn a phone on or off.
the phone companies probably offered him an extra breath on his life
woodbine is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion