Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:14 PM   #1
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

Your opinion on screen protectors

I ordered a screen protector for my iPhone 5 and it turns out I ordered a matte one. Does it actually wash out the retina display like people say? I'm not sure how to feel about it. Which do you experts prefer?
GREEN4U is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:18 PM   #2
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

To be honest screen protectors can sometimes give a haze type look to the screen. I used to have screen protectors but got rid of them to be honest. As long as you look after your phone then no need for screen protectors. The feeling of the screen is much better without it in my opinion. And the retina display is much better too. Having a screen protector can ruin the affect of the display. It makes te retina display look useless.
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:20 PM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I don't use one either
Naked iPhone 5 and no screen protector
Never liked the look or feel of them at all
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:23 PM   #4
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

A necessity in my opinion.
RichardC300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:03 PM   #5
SAS22
macrumors newbie

I have one on my iPhone 4, but it isn't a matte one. In my opinion, when you spend hundreds of euros on an iPhone, you want to take care of it. A screen protector is not going to ruin the user experience, a scratch on the screen will do it.
SAS22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:06 PM   #6
troy14
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS22 View Post
I have one on my iPhone 4, but it isn't a matte one. In my opinion, when you spend hundreds of euros on an iPhone, you want to take care of it. A screen protector is not going to ruin the user experience, a scratch on the screen will do it.
I used to be crazy about cases and screen protectors. Cases range from a few dollars up to $40-50! Add a quality screen protector.... it adds up!

I decided to purchase the AppleCare+ for $99 and then if I want/need a replacement is only $50 (up to 2 times though!).

I now use no case/screen protector and am covered in case of accidental damage or if physical wear and tear (which is extremely minimal for my release day white iPhone 5) gets too bad. I decided the money spent for a case/screen protector wasn't worth it. It also makes the phone bigger/bulkier, and heavier. I haven't had to use it yet.
troy14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:19 PM   #7
SAS22
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy14 View Post
I used to be crazy about cases and screen protectors. Cases range from a few dollars up to $40-50! Add a quality screen protector.... it adds up!

I decided to purchase the AppleCare+ for $99 and then if I want/need a replacement is only $50 (up to 2 times though!).

I now use no case/screen protector and am covered in case of accidental damage or if physical wear and tear (which is extremely minimal for my release day white iPhone 5) gets too bad. I decided the money spent for a case/screen protector wasn't worth it. It also makes the phone bigger/bulkier, and heavier. I haven't had to use it yet.
You've got a point there, the Apple Care is totally worth it. Also, I agree with you, cases are really expensive, and I don't usually like the look of the iPhone with almost none of them, it looks gorgeous for itself. But even having the Apple Care, I will still buy an screen protector, because it is just a few euros/dollars and for me, it makes me feel safe.
SAS22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:25 PM   #8
dma550
macrumors 6502

I keep one on my 4s all the time, looks like new. I always get top dollar for mine when upgrade time comes because they look new.
dma550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

iPhone + good case - screen protecter + AppleCare Plus > iPhone + screen protector
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories