Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I ordered a screen protector for my iPhone 5 and it turns out I ordered a matte one. Does it actually wash out the retina display like people say? I'm not sure how to feel about it. Which do you experts prefer?

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
To be honest screen protectors can sometimes give a haze type look to the screen. I used to have screen protectors but got rid of them to be honest. As long as you look after your phone then no need for screen protectors. The feeling of the screen is much better without it in my opinion. And the retina display is much better too. Having a screen protector can ruin the affect of the display. It makes te retina display look useless.

SAS22

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
I have one on my iPhone 4, but it isn't a matte one. In my opinion, when you spend hundreds of euros on an iPhone, you want to take care of it. A screen protector is not going to ruin the user experience, a scratch on the screen will do it.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I have one on my iPhone 4, but it isn't a matte one. In my opinion, when you spend hundreds of euros on an iPhone, you want to take care of it. A screen protector is not going to ruin the user experience, a scratch on the screen will do it.

I used to be crazy about cases and screen protectors. Cases range from a few dollars up to $40-50! Add a quality screen protector.... it adds up!

I decided to purchase the AppleCare+ for $99 and then if I want/need a replacement is only $50 (up to 2 times though!).

I now use no case/screen protector and am covered in case of accidental damage or if physical wear and tear (which is extremely minimal for my release day white iPhone 5) gets too bad. I decided the money spent for a case/screen protector wasn't worth it. It also makes the phone bigger/bulkier, and heavier. I haven't had to use it yet.

SAS22

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
I used to be crazy about cases and screen protectors. Cases range from a few dollars up to $40-50! Add a quality screen protector.... it adds up!

I decided to purchase the AppleCare+ for $99 and then if I want/need a replacement is only $50 (up to 2 times though!).

I now use no case/screen protector and am covered in case of accidental damage or if physical wear and tear (which is extremely minimal for my release day white iPhone 5) gets too bad. I decided the money spent for a case/screen protector wasn't worth it. It also makes the phone bigger/bulkier, and heavier. I haven't had to use it yet.

You've got a point there, the Apple Care is totally worth it. Also, I agree with you, cases are really expensive, and I don't usually like the look of the iPhone with almost none of them, it looks gorgeous for itself. But even having the Apple Care, I will still buy an screen protector, because it is just a few euros/dollars and for me, it makes me feel safe.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I keep one on my 4s all the time, looks like new. I always get top dollar for mine when upgrade time comes because they look new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.