Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I was not impressed by the PS4. I will not be buying one. We waited all of this time for social integration? How much social integration does a person need? I knew it, most every company has run out of ideas.

Last edited:

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I was not impressed by the PS4. I will not be buying one. We waited all of this time for social integration? How much social integration does a person need? I knew it, most every company has run out of ideas.

Obviously you didn't watch the whole video or missed a lot.

-8-core processor
-GDDR 5 memory 175GB/s bandwidth
-Dual Shock 4 controller w/ touch pad, share, lightbar and more.
-Games remain in session by pressing power off button on control...Put the PS4 into sleep mode...No more long boot times...Just wake it up and go...Low power consumption.
-Secondary chip to manage background processing
-Be able to stream legacy games; although I'd prefer the actual disc, but it's better than nothing.
-Personalize; system can get to know you. Likes and dislikes. Predict games you like to download ahead of time.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

-8-core processor
-Games remain in session by pressing power off button on control...Put the PS4 into sleep mode...No more long boot times...Just wake it up and go...Low power consumption.
-Be able to stream legacy games; although I'd prefer the actual disc, but it's better than nothing.
-Personalize; system can get to know you. Likes and dislikes. Predict games you like to download ahead of time.

I can't wait!!! I was late to the conference but I swear I think I heard 8GB ram not processor but then you watch the whole thing so its prob an 8 core

----------

Of course you're not going to buy it. Your parents will buy it for you.:rolleyes:

Haha truee

----------

Of course you're not going to buy it. Your parents will buy it for you.:rolleyes:

Haha truee

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012

-8-core processor

But all of this amounts to nothing. All that is PR psycho babble, I can pretty much guarantee that the console is not going to "know you", I always hated Genius.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

You didn't even see the console, and only know a tiny amount of info about it, and yet you've already definitively decided you aren't buying it? Something tells me you probably made up your mind before the presentation.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
You didn't even see the console, and only know a tiny amount of info about it, and yet you've already definitively decided you aren't buying it? Something tells me you probably made up your mind before the presentation.

Touch screens and social media, that's all anyone can think of nowadays. I was fed up with Facebook years ago.

Everyone knows that the console will look just like the PS3. We're smart enough now, you know when they've run out of ideas. Like the Wii U, sorry but these companies are going to have to try a little bit harder than that.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Touch screens and social media, that's all anyone can think of nowadays. I was fed up with Facebook years ago.

Everyone knows that the console will look just like the PS3. We're smart enough now, you know when they've run out of ideas. Like the Wii U, sorry but these companies are going to have to try a little bit harder than that.

So improved hardware and games aren't enough? What exactly were you looking for then? I'm not a big fan of the social aspect of the PS4, but the improved graphics look great, and should only get better as time goes on. I'm curious, what exactly would it take to impress you? What are you hoping the Xbox to offer?

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH

How do you know it's going to look "just like the PS3"? Sure there's design lineage, but the PSOne looked different than the PS2, which looked different than the PS3.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
The only game I pretty much play is Halo, so the next Xbox will be my gaming system of choice. But I guarantee the PS4 will be just as, if not more, successful then the next Xbox. It seems to be a power-hour from the specs and I think it has a lot going for it. But for me, it's all about the games, and most games I play aside from Halo are not PS exclusives (NHL, Madden, Assassin's Creed, etc).

But honestly, I cannot stand that placement of the left analog stick on the PS controller, nor even the general ergonomics of the entire controller. I realize this is personal opinion, but I just feel the 360 controller is far superior.

//I own a 360 and a PS3, so don't write me off as completely bias

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Facebook is everywhere... I use it a lot for communication but I don't really want it to integrate into every single aspect of my life. Soon all government services etc. will require a Facebook (or Twitter) account :p I can't wait for EU to put more regulations against it.

Best part of the PS4 is the ability to pause and resume games, it's a real time saver.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2012
nobody is going to miss you OP...

your decision was made looooooooooong before the actual presentation.

Your trolling lvl is too damn low...

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I'm currently an Xbox player and have never played with a PS3 (or 2, or 1). However, the specs on the PS4 certainly looked good. Looking forward to seeing Microsoft's presentation so I can begin figuring out which one I'll get.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
obviously i'm waiting to see the 360 before i decide, but i was impressed with the ps4. looks great! cant wait to see the xbox to make an educated decision :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
First, not everything in this world is designed for you. While you may not care for the social integration, many others will.

What features would make a new console appealing to you? You've dismissed the PS4 features but now stated your benchmark. This way when the next XBox is released we'll have something to refer to.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
An easy way to put the console to sleep and later quickly jump back into a game = hell to the yes. I've wanted a feature like that for years.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
But all of this amounts to nothing. All that is PR psycho babble, I can pretty much guarantee that the console is not going to "know you", I always hated Genius.

There are plenty of features mentioned that does not focus on Facebook, yet you use it as your main argument. Why?

It will be able to play a downloaded game as it is being downloaded and update the system/games when powered off. This means no more waiting for updates to install and games to be downloaded. The streaming of gameplay will make it possible for friends to spectate or even join if you so choose. And then we have the hardware specifications that, while in this stage only numbers, will enable very heavy gameplay as the developers get to know the platform. And this is just a first look. I am not a fanboy, I will not be getting the PS4 at release and I do hate the whole Facebook/social gaming-thing, but I can't just stick my fingers in my ears and go "not impressed lalalala".

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
First, not everything in this world is designed for you. While you may not care for the social integration, many others will.

+ as far as we are aware - they are optional .....

Seriously OP your opening thread was the shallowest attempt at masking fanboyism and ignorance - which credit to the regular posters here in this forum section, none of us fell for....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Your brilliant. I mean, last night I saw how good the machine was as both a game player/addict and a developer. But you've opened my eyes to how bad the machine is.
I don't know what to do now!!

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
That share button has destroyed my interest in buying the PS4...that button is too much of a distraction to ignore. Sony just lost a customer.

..and whats the deal with not having a start/select button I mean seriously:rolleyes:

Bless

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm surprised people are surprised that Sony did anything more than tease this far in advance of E3. If Sony laid it all on the table today they'd have nothing big to show at E3 and people would complain that Sony's E3 presser sucked because it was just a rehash of what they unveiled months prior. I assume MS will unveil the next Xbox at E3 and Sony can't afford to let *the* story of E3 be MS.

The only game I pretty much play is Halo, so the next Xbox will be my gaming system of choice. But I guarantee the PS4 will be just as, if not more, successful then the next Xbox. It seems to be a power-hour from the specs and I think it has a lot going for it. But for me, it's all about the games, and most games I play aside from Halo are not PS exclusives (NHL, Madden, Assassin's Creed, etc)
Sony always does a good job of selling specs even when reality doesn't agree with their PR. I mean, the PS3's cell processor and games on huge Blu-ray discs were supposed to rule this gen of consoles and the PS2's Emotion Engine was supposed to give us Toy Story level graphics in real time...

Announcements are cool but it's all just hot air until the products get out into the wild.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I've always been partial to US consoles and games (Atari... ;) )

I was happy when XBox came out and had Halo. Sony/Nintendo consoles and games are good too, but I'm happy that there's an American company making games and a console.

As you can see, the Sony intro seems to have showcased their Japanese game partners, oh, and they had to throw in Blizzard (US) for good measure.

It's all about the games anyways, not the systems - especially in this era where the hardware is more than capable. MS will deliver.

Since money is tight (I traded part of my collection for a Wii U and games - didn't have to spend any cash) I won't be getting the new MS or Sony until the systems are around $200.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I've always been partial to US consoles and games (Atari... ;) )

I was happy when XBox came out and had Halo. Sony/Nintendo consoles and games are good too, but I'm happy that there's an American company making games and a console.

As you can see, the Sony intro seems to have showcased their Japanese game partners, oh, and they had to throw in Blizzard (US) for good measure.

It's all about the games anyways, not the systems - especially in this era where the hardware is more than capable. MS will deliver.

Since money is tight (I traded part of my collection for a Wii U and games - didn't have to spend any cash) I won't be getting the new MS or Sony until the systems are around $200.

Sony's intro showcased their Global game partners; Ubisoft is Canadian, Media Molecule is British, Blizzard is American, SuckerPunch is American, Quantic Dream is French, SquarEnix is Japanese, Guerrilla Games is Dutch, etc.

I get the "America **** Yeah" mentality, but I know that the reality is, my 360 is made in the same Foxconn plant as my Macs and PS3.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
But all of this amounts to nothing.

What the **** are you looking for if those specs AND the useless frills do nothing for you?

I hate video games and I'm thoroughly impressed by the specs of this machine. What exactly are you looking for if the hugely improved gaming system, and the extras aren't what you are looking for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.