Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Good evening everyone,

In light of my recent postings for my MacBook Pro (both on MR and locally), I wanted to see if there were any particular best practices for rebooting the computer back to stock to ensure that most major information does not remain on the system. I am trying to think back to remembering someone say that the only true way to do it would be to replace the actual hard drive, but I'm not sure if that's totally accurate.

Would anyone be able to elaborate for me?

Thank you in advance,

Blake

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I understand.....

that have too many levels for this question, from actually install a new HDD to a complete format with a clean reinstall. And the formating itself of the HDD can vary, from simple to througful or using DoD schemes to write zeroes. I had sold my fair share of Macs, and always had done a complete format of the disc, followed for a clean install. But in rare ocasions, feeling the data are too sensitive, I had used another schemes to wipe the HDDs involved, like PGP Desktop to format the drive (really long option, but useful for peace of mind). But still, if you are at ease changing parts from computers, swapping the HDD can be a very secure and relatively fast and easy way to sell your computer with a high level of peace of mind

:):apple:

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Thank you for the input - I was assuming that would be a good route, but lack the time and general knowledge of how to do things as thorough as you had mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.