Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1
bonskovsky
Banned

Getting scary calls on my iPhone

This is my first contract iPhone, and all day I've been getting these calls from Beaverton, Oregon. These calls were at 2:11 PM, 6:14 PM, and 8:52 PM. These calls are all coming from the same place, but they show up with different numbers.

The phone will continuously ring until answered, and it will stay on the line as long as I'm quiet. But as soon as I say, "Hello." The call is disconnected.

Is this a way of someone trying to steal personal information? Is that possible if a person is on the line long enough they have can get sensitive information about you?
bonskovsky is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:00 PM   #2
RedburnIV
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to RedburnIV
Telemarketer. Annoying, yes, but nothing to worry about.
RedburnIV is offline   2
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Feed Me
Banned

Start running.
don't look back
Feed Me is offline   22
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:09 PM   #4
bonskovsky
Banned

Well, something just happened.

I got curious and decided to call the phone number back to see who it was. Crazy me thought it may have been an old friend who couldn't work up the courage to speak to me. I didn't know.

An adult male picks up the phone as if he was a telemarketer. He claimed to be an associate from Wells Fargo. I don't bank with Wells Fargo, so why would they be calling me.

So then he asked me what number it was and I told him my phone number. Then he asked for my name, and I told him my real name.

He said "That's definately not what's in our system," now this is some random person from a bank who knows my name and number.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Well you really better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me View Post
Start running.
don't look back
Now
Koodauw is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:17 PM   #6
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Is this a way of someone trying to steal personal information? Is that possible if a person is on the line long enough they have can get sensitive information about you?
No.

...unless you start telling them personal information.

It's an auto-dialer for a telemarketing company. When you answer, it notes that the number is good, and transfers the call to what's supposed to be a live telemarketer, but in your case, is getting disconnected before that's happening. Count yourself lucky. ...except, the stupid machine will probably keep trying to dial you til it connects a call.

----------

Quote:
he asked me what number it was and I told him my phone number. Then he asked for my name, and I told him my real name.

He said "That's definately not what's in our system," now this is some random person from a bank who knows my name and number.
No, it's someone from a call center probably calling for a debt collection service representing Wells Fargo, looking for someone whose phone number you now have. Now that hey know the guy they're looking for isn't at that number, you hopefully won't hear from them again.
ThunderSkunk is offline   3
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:20 PM   #7
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
No.

It's an auto-dialer for a telemarketing company. When you answer, it notes that the number is good, and transfers the call to what's supposed to be a live telemarketer, but in your case, is getting disconnected before that's happening. Count yourself lucky. ...except, the stupid machine will probably keep trying to dial you til it connects a call.
Well here's what I'm starting to think, certain carriers come with lower quality numbers. I'm not with AT&T mind you and I can guarantee that the numbers they give you will not be sold to telemarketing.

This is the second number I've gotten and that's because previously a person called my phone claiming that they work for the carrier I have. Though they sounded like they were from Russia. So they called and was like, "I'm here to verify your account so there won't be any surprises. What's the passcode to your account?"

I immediately hung up at the moment. After which I kept getting calls repeatedly. All day long.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:32 PM   #8
w00t951
macrumors 68000

Don't blink.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:37 PM   #9
dextr3k
macrumors 6502

I personally wouldnt give them any information, i would ask them, what name do you have on file as they are calling you.
dextr3k is offline   3
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:47 PM   #10
Pharmscott
macrumors 6502a

Don't tell them anything. The next time they call, just ask to be placed on their "do not call list" and they should comply. Just keep repeating yourself if needed. That should end it.
Pharmscott is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:57 PM   #11
wxman2003
macrumors 68020

You got it all wrong! You need to have fun with these people. Give them false answers and names. Keep them running in circles and then bring up your theories of alien invasions, the yetti, the end of the world. Keep them on line as long as you can. They get gigged for being on the line too long and accomplishing nothing. When they are ready to hang up, ask to talk to supervisor and go through your theories again.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:04 PM   #12
Jtludwig
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
No.

----------

No, it's someone from a call center probably calling for a debt collection service representing Wells Fargo, looking for someone whose phone number you now have. Now that hey know the guy they're looking for isn't at that number, you hopefully won't hear from them again.
Exactly. I've had the same thing happen to me.
Jtludwig is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Poltergeist inside your iPhone.
Solomani is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Jtludwig
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well here's what I'm starting to think, certain carriers come with lower quality numbers. I'm not with AT&T mind you and I can guarantee that the numbers they give you will not be sold to telemarketing.

This is the second number I've gotten and that's because previously a person called my phone claiming that they work for the carrier I have. Though they sounded like they were from Russia. So they called and was like, "I'm here to verify your account so there won't be any surprises. What's the passcode to your account?"

I immediately hung up at the moment. After which I kept getting calls repeatedly. All day long.
What's the difference between a lower quality number and a higher quality one?
Jtludwig is offline   2
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:06 PM   #15
shadow puppet
macrumors 6502

wxman2003, that's akin to what I do when religious fanatics knock on my door even though I have a "no soliciting" sign posted. I tell them I can't talk right now because my cauldron is burning in the other room. The look on their faces is priceless! Even better, I had a neighbor who would pretend he was deaf and start using sign language at them.

But seriously, I would never give out my real name & number.
There's too many nutzoids out there...

Last edited by shadow puppet; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:03 AM.
shadow puppet is offline   1
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:15 PM   #16
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Uhhh... did we buy a used phone from GraigsList? and the old owner maybe the Mob?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:20 PM   #17
bonskovsky
Banned

Do other carriers send you texts as a method of advertising?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:27 PM   #18
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

What is your real name?
Jimmy James is offline   0
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:09 AM   #19
bonskovsky
Banned

John Jacob jingleheimer Schmidt of course. I should've told them that. Lol
bonskovsky is offline   1
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:13 AM   #20
shadow puppet
macrumors 6502

I'd use SpongeBob SquarePants.
shadow puppet is offline   0
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:49 AM   #21
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Click image for larger version

Name:	7730.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	398538
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:54 AM   #22
syd430

Based on the OP's previous threads, I have to conclude that these phone calls didn't take place and are just voices in his head
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:31 AM   #23
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Well, something just happened.

I got curious and decided to call the phone number back to see who it was. Crazy me thought it may have been an old friend who couldn't work up the courage to speak to me. I didn't know.

An adult male picks up the phone as if he was a telemarketer. He claimed to be an associate from Wells Fargo. I don't bank with Wells Fargo, so why would they be calling me.

So then he asked me what number it was and I told him my phone number. Then he asked for my name, and I told him my real name.

You know how people get personal information from you? It's not by you breathing, it's by calling back and unknown number and telling them personal information over the phone.
Interstella5555 is offline   5
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:37 AM   #24
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0odfr1end102 View Post
wazzaaaaaaaaaap
pnoyblazed is offline   3
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:21 AM   #25
old-wiz
macrumors 604

A number of Scammers say they are from Wells Fargo, telling you your account is locked and you have to call a number. when you call the number you are asked for your account info "to verify" ..but the number you call is NOT wells Fargo.

There's a site that allows you to key in phone numbers and see if the number is connected to a scam: http://800notes.com/

Key in the number and you will usually find other people are getting the calls as well.

I deal with the telemarketers by assigning their number to a contact "Do Not Answer" with a ringtone of silent.
old-wiz is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland