Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:43 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sony Announces PlayStation 4, Second-Screen Experience PlayStation App for iOS

Tonight, Sony announced*PlayStation 4, their next generation video game console, at an event in New York City, which was also live streamed on their website. The company announced that the new console would allow gamers to try out new games before purchasing them, share gameplay videos with friends and watch friends play their games in a spectator mode.

Sony also revealed a redesigned Dual Shock controller with a touch pad on the front and showed off tech demos of the console's capabilities and new games like "Killzone: Shadow Fall." While Sony announced some of the hardware specs for the new PS4, they didn't show the device and provided no details about pricing.

Just after announcement, Sony sent out a press release (via Engadget) announcing a PlayStation App for iOS, which will serve as a second-screen experience app, much like Microsoft's Xbox SmartGlass.

Image via Engadget
Quote:
A new application from SCE called "PlayStation®App" will enable iPhone, iPad, and Android based smartphones and tablets to become second screens. Once installed on these devices, users can, for example, see maps on their second screens when playing an adventure game, purchase PS4 games while away from home and download it directly to the console at home, or remotely watch other gamers playing on their devices.
Previously, Sony had released an iOS app called PlayStation Official App that was only available in Europe and Australia and it allowed users to check on their gaming achievements, in the form of "trophies," and check their friends' online statuses.

It's not known when this new app will be available, whether it will cost anything or whether it will have any additional features, but more information is certain to be released as the PlayStation 4's release date gets closer. Sony announced that the PlayStation 4 would be released in the Holiday 2013 timeframe, but did not reveal pricing for the console.

Article Link: Sony Announces PlayStation 4, Second-Screen Experience PlayStation App for iOS
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:45 PM   #2
komodrone
Banned

"I’d like to be watching this on my television, while hooked onto my mobile device, which is being controlled by my tablet device, which is hooked into my oven, all while sitting in my refrigerator.”
komodrone is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:45 PM   #3
singhjeet29
macrumors regular

Finally Sony looking beyond just their own devices and proprietary crap!! Personally quite excited about the PS4 and next-box. Can't wait to see more.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:46 PM   #4
fullauto
macrumors 6502a

All a bit meh really.. What does everyone else think?

Australia really needs to step up their broadband with everything going to the cloud / streaming..
fullauto is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:47 PM   #5
Fatalbert
Banned

I don't care about the controller's touch screen. Just make it not have awkwardly-placed thumbsticks, bad triggers, and a bad shape. The XBOX 360 has way better controllers.

The interface looks better than whatever MS can make, but I hardly know anything about it. I know that I like the PS3 interface waaaaaaaay better than the 360 interface. Wanna play a local multiplayer game? Plug in another controller. Wanna do that on an XBOX 360? D00d you need to sign in br0! Wanna play online? There, enjoy. Wanna do that on a 360? You must subscribe to XBOX Live. You want Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Copper, Helium, Germanium, or Hydrogen Phosphate? Too late, you slow, RRoD, bai.

Last edited by Fatalbert; Feb 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM.
Fatalbert is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!
Santabean2000 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:48 PM   #7
bitcloudrzr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullauto View Post
All a bit meh really.. What does everyone else think?
It was a really big tease and they showed a lot of third party support, iOS app sounds great. I don't think they actually want to give too much away right now. They made the first move, presentation was probably one of the first I've seen from Sony that has hit all the right marks with the right people there.

It's still really early, but I think they have gotten off to a great start. I do still remember the PS3 launch.

They are giving the developers the system they want to develop on and an OS that we will enjoy using. That is more important than any spec sheet, although 8GB of GDDR5 is really something that is suppose to cost $399.
bitcloudrzr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:50 PM   #8
MacTouch786
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcloudrzr View Post
It was a really big tease and they showed a lot of third party support, iOS app sounds great. I don't think they actually want to give too much away right now. They made the first move, presentation was probably one of the first I've seen from Sony that has hit all the right marks with the right people there.

It's still really early, but I think they have gotten off to a great start. I do still remember the PS3 launch.
I agree. E3 is going to be crazy this year.
MacTouch786 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Krafty
macrumors 601

Maybe I missed it, so what does the actual console look like?

Krafty is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:51 PM   #10
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

uh, that's cool. not sure why it's front page news on an apple rumor site though (the iOS app tie-in is hardly earth shattering).
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:52 PM   #11
bitcloudrzr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
Not revealed yet and probably won't be until E3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
uh, that's cool. not sure why it's front page news on an apple rumor site though (the iOS app tie-in is hardly earth shattering).
The more my Playstation devices work with my Apple ones the better, I think the good news here is they are going to fully develop on iOS and the whole PS Mobile thing.
bitcloudrzr is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:52 PM   #12
bwillwall
macrumors 6502a

I can already do this on my 360, and it looks much prettier
bwillwall is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:54 PM   #13
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Because there is speculation, and apparently some of the Apple faithful believe, that the future of Apple TV is set to obliterate current consoles.
Bill Killer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:55 PM   #14
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillwall View Post
I can already do this on my 360, and it looks much prettier
Noob, sell that piece of garbage, and get an N64 and NGC.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Killer View Post
Because there is speculation, and apparently some of the Apple faithful believe, that the future of Apple TV is set to obliterate current consoles.
Uh, no. Only the Wii if it turns into a gaming system, which it very well should.
Fatalbert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:56 PM   #15
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

I'm excited for the PS4. The current Playstation is proving to be the best of the main 3 consoles.
Bill Killer is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:56 PM   #16
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
I don't care about the controller's touch screen. Just make it not have awkwardly-placed thumbsticks, bad triggers, and a bad shape. The XBOX 360 has way better controllers.

The interface looks better than whatever MS can make, but I hardly know anything about it. I know that I like the PS3 interface waaaaaaaay better than the 360 interface. Wanna play a local multiplayer game? Plug in another controller. Wanna do that on an XBOX 360? D00d you need to sign in br0! Wanna play online? There, enjoy. Wanna do that on a 360? You must subscribe to XBOX Live. You want Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Copper, Helium, Germanium, or Hydrogen Phosphate? Too late, you slow, RRoD, bai.
It's funny you mention the interface. When I saw it, I was reminded of Windows 8!
gmanist1000 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:57 PM   #17
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
I'm excited for the PS4. The current Playstation is proving to be the best of the main 3 consoles.
I wouldn't compare it to a Wii. They're different things. I would say that despite a few drawbacks, it's somewhat better than the 360 overall.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:58 PM   #18
phinsup
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
It's so mind blowing if they actually showed you the console your head would explode. This was like calling a press conference about a car and showing you the steering wheel and bragging about how great it is going to be to drive, but no car.
phinsup is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:58 PM   #19
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Uh, no. Only the Wii if it turns into a gaming system, which it very well should.
The Wii is on its last few years. Apple TV games will barely make a dent, if at all.

And read the thread where an Xbox creator believes that Apple TV can destroy the market. I think it's a foolish mindset as well.
Bill Killer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:58 PM   #20
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
It's funny you mention the interface. When I saw it, I was reminded of Windows 8!
Yeah, but when I saw the 360 interface, I was reminded of AOL/Yahoo/insert_horrible_site.
Fatalbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:59 PM   #21
Phat Doug
macrumors newbie

I wonder

I wonder if I will be able to play my PS3 games on the new PS4..?
Phat Doug is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:59 PM   #22
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Personally, I think it's an acknowledgement from Sony that iOS is indeed making big inroads and changes into the way people see gaming. They designed the PS4 experience specifically with mobile device integration in mind.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:00 AM   #23
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
The Wii is on its last few years. Apple TV games will barely make a dent, if at all.

And read the thread where an Xbox creator believes that Apple TV can destroy the market. I think it's a foolish mindset as well.
iOS games have got to be the most popular mobile games or at least extremely popular. Hardware and software-wise, the Apple TV could do everything a Wii or Wii U could do plus a lot more, but it couldn't do what a 360 or PS3 could do. Basically any game with less complicated graphics could be played on an ATV with the player's choice of Bluetooth controllers, all on the same device that runs the movies, music, and maybe TV shows on the TV.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:00 AM   #24
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I wouldn't compare it to a Wii. They're different things. I would say that despite a few drawbacks, it's somewhat better than the 360 overall.
It's clearly of better build quality than the 360, and the Blu-Ray drive has proven to be the best decision Sony made in that console's development.
Bill Killer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:00 AM   #25
phinsup
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Doug View Post
I wonder if I will be able to play my PS3 games on the new PS4..?
Seems unlikely with the direction things are going
phinsup is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion