Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ps4logo-250x98.jpg
Tonight, Sony announced PlayStation 4, their next generation video game console, at an event in New York City, which was also live streamed on their website. The company announced that the new console would allow gamers to try out new games before purchasing them, share gameplay videos with friends and watch friends play their games in a spectator mode.

Sony also revealed a redesigned Dual Shock controller with a touch pad on the front and showed off tech demos of the console's capabilities and new games like "Killzone: Shadow Fall." While Sony announced some of the hardware specs for the new PS4, they didn't show the device and provided no details about pricing.

Just after announcement, Sony sent out a press release (via Engadget) announcing a PlayStation App for iOS, which will serve as a second-screen experience app, much like Microsoft's Xbox SmartGlass.

playstationapp.jpg
Image via Engadget
A new application from SCE called "PlayStation®App" will enable iPhone, iPad, and Android based smartphones and tablets to become second screens. Once installed on these devices, users can, for example, see maps on their second screens when playing an adventure game, purchase PS4 games while away from home and download it directly to the console at home, or remotely watch other gamers playing on their devices.
Previously, Sony had released an iOS app called PlayStation Official App that was only available in Europe and Australia and it allowed users to check on their gaming achievements, in the form of "trophies," and check their friends' online statuses.

It's not known when this new app will be available, whether it will cost anything or whether it will have any additional features, but more information is certain to be released as the PlayStation 4's release date gets closer. Sony announced that the PlayStation 4 would be released in the Holiday 2013 timeframe, but did not reveal pricing for the console.

Article Link: Sony Announces PlayStation 4, Second-Screen Experience PlayStation App for iOS

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
"I’d like to be watching this on my television, while hooked onto my mobile device, which is being controlled by my tablet device, which is hooked into my oven, all while sitting in my refrigerator.”

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Finally Sony looking beyond just their own devices and proprietary crap!! Personally quite excited about the PS4 and next-box. Can't wait to see more.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
All a bit meh really.. What does everyone else think?

Australia really needs to step up their broadband with everything going to the cloud / streaming..

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I don't care about the controller's touch screen. Just make it not have awkwardly-placed thumbsticks, bad triggers, and a bad shape. The XBOX 360 has way better controllers.

The interface looks better than whatever MS can make, but I hardly know anything about it. I know that I like the PS3 interface waaaaaaaay better than the 360 interface. Wanna play a local multiplayer game? Plug in another controller. Wanna do that on an XBOX 360? D00d you need to sign in br0! Wanna play online? There, enjoy. Wanna do that on a 360? You must subscribe to XBOX Live. You want Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Copper, Helium, Germanium, or Hydrogen Phosphate? Too late, you slow, RRoD, bai.

Last edited:

bitcloudrzr

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2012
All a bit meh really.. What does everyone else think?

It was a really big tease and they showed a lot of third party support, iOS app sounds great. I don't think they actually want to give too much away right now. They made the first move, presentation was probably one of the first I've seen from Sony that has hit all the right marks with the right people there.

It's still really early, but I think they have gotten off to a great start. I do still remember the PS3 launch.

They are giving the developers the system they want to develop on and an OS that we will enjoy using. That is more important than any spec sheet, although 8GB of GDDR5 is really something that is suppose to cost $399.

MacTouch786

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
It was a really big tease and they showed a lot of third party support, iOS app sounds great. I don't think they actually want to give too much away right now. They made the first move, presentation was probably one of the first I've seen from Sony that has hit all the right marks with the right people there.

It's still really early, but I think they have gotten off to a great start. I do still remember the PS3 launch.

I agree. E3 is going to be crazy this year.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
uh, that's cool. not sure why it's front page news on an apple rumor site though (the iOS app tie-in is hardly earth shattering).

bitcloudrzr

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2012
Maybe I missed it, so what does the actual console look like?

Not revealed yet and probably won't be until E3.

uh, that's cool. not sure why it's front page news on an apple rumor site though (the iOS app tie-in is hardly earth shattering).

The more my Playstation devices work with my Apple ones the better, I think the good news here is they are going to fully develop on iOS and the whole PS Mobile thing.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011

Because there is speculation, and apparently some of the Apple faithful believe, that the future of Apple TV is set to obliterate current consoles.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I don't care about the controller's touch screen. Just make it not have awkwardly-placed thumbsticks, bad triggers, and a bad shape. The XBOX 360 has way better controllers.

The interface looks better than whatever MS can make, but I hardly know anything about it. I know that I like the PS3 interface waaaaaaaay better than the 360 interface. Wanna play a local multiplayer game? Plug in another controller. Wanna do that on an XBOX 360? D00d you need to sign in br0! Wanna play online? There, enjoy. Wanna do that on a 360? You must subscribe to XBOX Live. You want Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Copper, Helium, Germanium, or Hydrogen Phosphate? Too late, you slow, RRoD, bai.

It's funny you mention the interface. When I saw it, I was reminded of Windows 8!

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I'm excited for the PS4. The current Playstation is proving to be the best of the main 3 consoles.

I wouldn't compare it to a Wii. They're different things. I would say that despite a few drawbacks, it's somewhat better than the 360 overall.

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Maybe I missed it, so what does the actual console look like?

It's so mind blowing if they actually showed you the console your head would explode. This was like calling a press conference about a car and showing you the steering wheel and bragging about how great it is going to be to drive, but no car.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Uh, no. Only the Wii if it turns into a gaming system, which it very well should.
The Wii is on its last few years. Apple TV games will barely make a dent, if at all.

And read the thread where an Xbox creator believes that Apple TV can destroy the market. I think it's a foolish mindset as well.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

Personally, I think it's an acknowledgement from Sony that iOS is indeed making big inroads and changes into the way people see gaming. They designed the PS4 experience specifically with mobile device integration in mind.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
The Wii is on its last few years. Apple TV games will barely make a dent, if at all.

And read the thread where an Xbox creator believes that Apple TV can destroy the market. I think it's a foolish mindset as well.

iOS games have got to be the most popular mobile games or at least extremely popular. Hardware and software-wise, the Apple TV could do everything a Wii or Wii U could do plus a lot more, but it couldn't do what a 360 or PS3 could do. Basically any game with less complicated graphics could be played on an ATV with the player's choice of Bluetooth controllers, all on the same device that runs the movies, music, and maybe TV shows on the TV.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
I wouldn't compare it to a Wii. They're different things. I would say that despite a few drawbacks, it's somewhat better than the 360 overall.

It's clearly of better build quality than the 360, and the Blu-Ray drive has proven to be the best decision Sony made in that console's development.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.