Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:54 AM   #76
rikscha
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Wow very innovative. More horse power and a share button. if Xbox can bring some new gaming concept that works to the market, they are pretty much dead.
rikscha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:55 AM   #77
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
So what did they actually announce?

- They don't let us see it, apart from the controller.
- No release date.
- No Price.

At least when Apple announces something you get to see it, know the cost and a release date... and it's not 6 months in the future before we get them.
__________________
Late 2012 iMac, 27", 3.4Ghz i7, 32Gb RAM, 2Gb 680Mx, 1Tb Fusion and iPhone 5s.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:56 AM   #78
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post

The announcement of the PS4 I seriously do not feel any excitement at all. None.
I'm pretty sure the PS4 will be the first PlayStation since 1995 that I wont buy.
I usually don't get excited about console releases until I start seeing all the games that'll be coming out for it.

But hell, I haven't even picked up a PS3 or Xbox360 yet. I still have an entire generation of games to catch up to. By the time I'm ready for the PS4, it'll probably be knocked down to 50 bucks, and have a kajillion games for it.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:56 AM   #79
jackal123uk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: England
Can't say I'm all that impressed with moving over to a PC architecture - good for developers but not necessarily for gamers. Makes it all too easy to port games over from similar platforms - lazy developers make for a poor gaming experience.

It wouldn't surprise me if more people aren't pushed in the direction of gaming PCs now a direct comparison of hardware can be drawn.

For example, the PS4 with no release date reportedly a has GPU consisting of 18 complete units capable of 1.84 TFLOPS and 8 GB of unified memory with a bandwidth of 176 GB/s.
The Sapphire HD 7970 Vapour-X (available last summer) has 32 complete units capable of 4.3 TFLOPS and 6 GB of dedicated memory with a bandwidth of 288 GB/s.

Given the lengthy life cycles of modern consoles any hardware choice soon becomes obsolete, but using off-the-shelf PC components makes it all the more obvious.

Last edited by jackal123uk; Feb 21, 2013 at 02:37 AM.
jackal123uk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:02 AM   #80
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal123uk View Post
Makes it all too easy to port games over from similar platforms - lazy developers make for a poor gaming experience.
Not necessarily. Releasing titles multiplatform is about the only way studios and publishers can guarantee they'll make the money back spent on developing the title. Games are so expensive to make these days, they want to reach as wide an audience as possible to lower the risks involved.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:10 AM   #81
komodrone
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskiegangsta View Post
While I am glad they went with x86 platform, the question of pricing remains. Some speculate that the PS4 will be as much as $999 for the top-ens SKU which would be just ridiculous in our day and age.
doubt that price, but I think they'll force people to buy the PS Plus subscriptions to get online now.
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:16 AM   #82
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816
 
gorskiegangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcloudrzr View Post
The new $1000 graphic card by Nvidia called the GTX Titan only has 6gb of GDDR5. You can expect the PS4 to be $399 though, that is the common thread for a while.
Amount of memory is one thing while actual GPU performance is quite another. Sony announced neither clock speed nor latency for that memory. However, they did announce the GPU processing power (~1.85 TFlops) which is equivalent to $200 GPUs such as GTX 660 or a Radeon HD 7850, and is nowhere near Titan's massive 4.5 TFlops.

Also, considering the fact that Sony won't have to pay for the entire GPU assembly, the cooler, heatsink, or the PCB, as well as the fact that they'll almost certainly get a bulk discount, I'd be surprised if they'll have to pay more than $100 apiece for those chips.
__________________
"The reason I talk to myself is that I am the only one whose answers I accept." - George Carlin
gorskiegangsta is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:17 AM   #83
runeapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I like the App second screen idea (not that I will ever buy a Playstation) - but they haven't actually showed anything which will make me want to buy it?

As interesting as a dual shock controller is, I would much rather know about the PS4 itself :P
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:35 AM   #84
neiltc13
macrumors 68040
 
neiltc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
The whining about "we didn't see it!" is pretty silly when you realise that it has a 99% chance of being a plastic, rectangular box.
neiltc13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:36 AM   #85
bitcloudrzr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskiegangsta View Post
Amount of memory is one thing while actual GPU performance is quite another. Sony announced neither clock speed nor latency for that memory. However, they did announce the GPU processing power (~1.85 TFlops) which is equivalent to $200 GPUs such as GTX 660 or a Radeon HD 7850, and is nowhere near Titan's massive 4.5 TFlops.

Also, considering the fact that Sony won't have to pay for the entire GPU assembly, the cooler, heatsink, or the PCB, as well as the fact that they'll almost certainly get a bulk discount, I'd be surprised if they'll have to pay more than $100 apiece for those chips.
They are committing to a co-processor for OS tasks while games run so all the hardware is dedicated to games. The same thing happened last gen, but this time it's a much better situation. We started with Resistance and have Uncharted 3.

To be fair to the PS3, the hardware was pretty much the mid-range and optimization got them this far and the hardware still has life left.
bitcloudrzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:36 AM   #86
jackal123uk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Not necessarily. Releasing titles multiplatform is about the only way studios and publishers can guarantee they'll make the money back spent on developing the title. Games are so expensive to make these days, they want to reach as wide an audience as possible to lower the risks involved.
I agree with you there and when games are originally developed as multi-platform good things can happen. But what I'm envisioning is a torrent of old games (PC games for example), previously not available on the playstation platform ported over to make a quick buck just because its now so much easier to do so.

In my opinion these games will not show the PS4 anywhere near its full potential any will be bad for the platform's image.
jackal123uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:37 AM   #87
vmachiel
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Holland
Sony, please shut up and take my money!
__________________
2010 MBP, 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD; 32GB Silver iPhone 5S; 32 GB Wifi iPad (3rd gen)
vmachiel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:43 AM   #88
runeapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
The whining about "we didn't see it!" is pretty silly when you realise that it has a 99% chance of being a plastic, rectangular box.
Would be cool if they went upmarket and made a small aluminium rounded box!
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:46 AM   #89
jackal123uk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcloudrzr View Post
The new $1000 graphic card by Nvidia called the GTX Titan only has 6gb of GDDR5.
The 8GB "unified" memory in the PS4 is shared between graphics and system, to say a given graphics card "only has 6 GB" is a bad comparison since this will be dedicated to the graphics, the system will possess more memory generally totalling much more than 8GB.
jackal123uk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:50 AM   #90
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal123uk View Post

In my opinion these games will not show the PS4 anywhere near its full potential any will be bad for the platform's image.
There'll be a few games that are made just to be a quick, low effort cash grab. There always have been, since the days of the Atari 2600 all the way up til now. But that doesn't mean all the games made for the PS4 will be.

Think of it like this. You're gonna have a number of studios trying to eek the most they can out of the hardware. They'll do something amazing, and probably sell millions. If another studio wants to keep up with that, they can't just churn out a quick, cheap port. They'll have to at least try to match what these other studios have done. If they want to sell some games, they won't have any other choice.

Long story short, you're gonna have a bunch of games that take full advantage of the PS4's hardware. x86 vs. some other architecture won't make a difference here. In fact, it might actually help developers make better games, since they'll all be familiar with it. There won't be any learning curve, any struggle for them to try and figure out the hardware so they can implement their new cool idea.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:54 AM   #91
\-V-/
macrumors 65816
 
\-V-/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
So what did they actually announce?

- They don't let us see it, apart from the controller.
- No release date.
- No Price.

At least when Apple announces something you get to see it, know the cost and a release date... and it's not 6 months in the future before we get them.
1) It's probably still a prototype or they want to leave more for E3.
2) Why do people keep saying this? They said Holiday 2013, so expect it around Christmas time.
3) Again... E3... but it's safe to assume it will be a lot cheaper than PS3 was at launch, considering they are using PC parts... and the CPU/GPU are coming from AMD... which traditionally sells things cheaper than their competitors.

E3 is in June... they will reveal all there is to know about the console then. The CPU/GPU are also still in development... which is why they haven't given concrete details yet.
__________________
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.
\-V-/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:56 AM   #92
Monkeydude
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Worst Announcement ever

My favorite quote (i paraphrase):"Until now you had your PS in the living room and when you left it, you had your other life. Now you can take everything with you"
......................and give up your real life?
Also good:" When your sitting in the living room playing and your kids come and bother - you can just take your PS Vita and continue in an other room"
Why didn't my parents do such a great parenting?????
Monkeydude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:58 AM   #93
er15
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by \-V-/ View Post
1) It's probably still a prototype or they want to leave more for E3.
2) Why do people keep saying this? They said Holiday 2013, so expect it around Christmas time.
3) Again... E3... but it's safe to assume it will be a lot cheaper than PS3 was at launch, considering they are using PC parts... and the CPU/GPU are coming from AMD... which traditionally sells things cheaper than their competitors.

E3 is in June... they will reveal all there is to know about the console then. The CPU/GPU are also still in development... which is why they haven't given concrete details yet.
Replied to that better than I could (Y)
er15 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:00 AM   #94
macosxuser01
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
That was the worst keynote ever in my in entire life. It was so boring and they kept saying "game-play" but not once showed actual game-play. Not to mention they didn't even showed what the console look like. Way to go Sony!
__________________
15" MacBook Pro, i5 2.53 GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD, OS X 10.9.2 | iPhone 5C 16GB, iOS 7.1
macosxuser01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:02 AM   #95
\-V-/
macrumors 65816
 
\-V-/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxuser01 View Post
That was the worst keynote ever in my in entire life. It was so boring and they kept saying "game-play" but not once showed actual game-play. Not to mention they didn't even showed what the console look like. Way to go Sony!
They did show gameplay. Maybe you were accidentally watching a Mr. Clean commercial and thought it was the event.
__________________
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.
\-V-/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:02 AM   #96
Monkeydude
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Quote:
It was a really big tease and they showed a lot of third party support, iOS app sounds great. I don't think they actually want to give too much away right now.
So don't make a presentation!!!!!!
Monkeydude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:04 AM   #97
\-V-/
macrumors 65816
 
\-V-/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydude View Post
My favorite quote (i paraphrase):"Until now you had your PS in the living room and when you left it, you had your other life. Now you can take everything with you"
......................and give up your real life?
Also good:" When your sitting in the living room playing and your kids come and bother - you can just take your PS Vita and continue in an other room"
Why didn't my parents do such a great parenting?????
More like heavy paraphrasing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydude View Post
So don't make a presentation!!!!!!
It was to create hype... which it did successfully. That's known as marketing. They didn't give out everything today so people would be talking about it all the way up until June when E3 begins. Microsoft and Sony will then reveal everything about both of their new consoles. Maybe Nintendo will have something worth a crap to say as well... like a new Mario! -barf-
__________________
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.
\-V-/ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:08 AM   #98
er15
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydude View Post
So don't make a presentation!!!!!!
Marketing...
er15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:12 AM   #99
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxuser01 View Post
That was the worst keynote ever in my in entire life. It was so boring and they kept saying "game-play" but not once showed actual game-play. Not to mention they didn't even showed what the console look like. Way to go Sony!
Don't try to advertise a product or build anticipation for one.

Overall, you missed the point of the entire presentation. In no way, shape, or form was it about a product launch.
Bill Killer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:18 AM   #100
iPadPublisher
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Ho Hum

An Apple TV running two A7 chips would smoke this box.

Yes, yes, I know... there is no A7 chip yet, but rest assured its in the works, and base don Apple's graphics performance on the A series chips thus far, expect nothing short of amazing from the A7.

I still feel like there is never going to be an Apple TV "set" instead just incredible set top box that brings the best of all worlds (apps, games, video, music, etc.) to the big screen.

Just my two cents, though.
iPadPublisher is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC