Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:44 PM   #1
rpg51
macrumors 6502

New MacBook Pro Retina - how to set up

I have a MacBook Air - 2011 model - with time machine back ups and it runs great. I am considering giving my MBA to my wife and purchasing a MacBook Pro Retina 13". What is the best way to get my new MacBook Pro Retina loaded with all the software and data I have on my current MBA? Can I restore the time machine back up onto the MacBook Pro Retina machine and be done with it? Are there any problems I should anticipate?
rpg51 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:18 AM   #2
MathiasMM
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg51 View Post
I have a MacBook Air - 2011 model - with time machine back ups and it runs great. I am considering giving my MBA to my wife and purchasing a MacBook Pro Retina 13". What is the best way to get my new MacBook Pro Retina loaded with all the software and data I have on my current MBA? Can I restore the time machine back up onto the MacBook Pro Retina machine and be done with it? Are there any problems I should anticipate?
Your TM backups should bring the new machine into the exact state the old one had at the time of the backup. If there is the same amount of space or more in the new machine I would not expect any problems
MathiasMM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Just use the Migration Assistant at the end of the setup process to import your account ,apps and data from the Time Machine backup.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help