Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:36 AM   #1
billyblastoff
macrumors newbie

Question iCal to Android (without Google)?

(Please resist the urge to go OT and tell me I need to get an iPhone . I'm saving my pennies, but for the time being I am stuck with a hand-me-down HTC DInc2.) I cannot find any truly seamless way to get my iCal calendar to sync with any Android Calendar application. I'm currently using Google Calendar as a link between iCal and the phone, but this bandaid™ has many downsides. The most glaring is the flabbergasting inability of Google Calendar to handle the reminders I've set up for my iCal events. This means that even if an Android calendar app supports multiple reminders, they never make it to my phone. The ubiquity of Android phones suggests to me that someone else must have faced this same issue. Help?
billyblastoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:23 AM   #2
RetepNamenots
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyblastoff View Post
(Please resist the urge to go OT and tell me I need to get an iPhone . I'm saving my pennies, but for the time being I am stuck with a hand-me-down HTC DInc2.) I cannot find any truly seamless way to get my iCal calendar to sync with any Android Calendar application. I'm currently using Google Calendar as a link between iCal and the phone, but this bandaid™ has many downsides. The most glaring is the flabbergasting inability of Google Calendar to handle the reminders I've set up for my iCal events. This means that even if an Android calendar app supports multiple reminders, they never make it to my phone. The ubiquity of Android phones suggests to me that someone else must have faced this same issue. Help?
I'd suggest moving everything to your Google account and onto Google Calendar. You can then sync everything back into iCal using this account, including multiple reminders.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:20 AM   #3
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetepNamenots View Post
I'd suggest moving everything to your Google account and onto Google Calendar. You can then sync everything back into iCal using this account, including multiple reminders.
This will be the best solution. That is what I did just so I would not be stuck in a closed environment only good with apple products.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You need this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....caldav.icloud
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Alfuh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.L View Post
That's what I use, works great
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:48 AM   #6
billyblastoff
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.L View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Chris. Unfortunately 10.6.8 is the latest OS my Mac Pro will run so no iCloud for me. May I ask what Android Calendar app you are using?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:59 AM   #7
billyblastoff
macrumors newbie

Quote:
*Sigh* Thanks for the advice, Retep and matto. That seems like the most practical solution for the time being, and the open platform is a great point. But dang! I use Macs because I like the UI. That doesn't seem to be a big priority for Google. Their calendar is ugly, poorly designed and harder to use.

Perhaps I should create a new thread for this, but what do folks here think is the most iCal-like calendar for Android?

Last edited by billyblastoff; Feb 22, 2013 at 06:05 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:38 AM   #8
RetepNamenots
macrumors 6502

Quote:
*Sigh* Thanks for the advice, Retep and matto. That seems like the most practical solution for the time being, and the open platform is a great point. But dang! I use Macs because I like the UI. That doesn't seem to be a big priority for Google. Their calendar is ugly, poorly designed and harder to use.

Perhaps I should create a new thread for this, but what do folks here think is the most iCal-like calendar for Android?
The Droid Incredible 2 uses HTC's calendar rather than Google's. I haven't used a HTC device in years though, so couldn't tell you how to switch to the default app.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Chris. Unfortunately 10.6.8 is the latest OS my Mac Pro will run so no iCloud for me. May I ask what Android Calendar app you are using?
I use aCalendar+. I think it's excellent.

To try and deal with your issue, moving over to Google Calendar would be the best solution.

I'm assuming you followed this article to set up your calendar:

http://support.google.com/calendar/b...3949&ctx=topic

My understanding from a little bit of looking around is that alarms/reminders should work.

You could also try this article to get an iCloud calendar on 10.6:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...2515403&msg=15
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:24 PM   #10
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I really enjoy using CalenGoo.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y5hbmRyb2lkIl0.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Just to be clear, you do know that you can use Google's calendar with the calendar app on the mac, yes?

That I what I do on my mac.

On my Note 2 (and Nexus 4 prior) I use aCalendar.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:07 AM   #12
billyblastoff
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Just to be clear, you do know that you can use Google's calendar with the calendar app on the mac, yes?

That I what I do on my mac.

On my Note 2 (and Nexus 4 prior) I use aCalendar.
Michael
Yes, that's what I've been using, but my iCal reminders don't make it into the Google calendar. That's why (per my original post) I am looking for a non-Google alternative. Right now I am looking into serving my iCal on my LAN so my Android phone can get it via CalDAV. I'm currently using Touch Calendar on Android. It's very similar to CalGoo but I think it looks a bit better. There's nothing that looks like iCal AFAIK.

----------

Quote:
The Droid Incredible 2 uses HTC's calendar rather than Google's. I haven't used a HTC device in years though, so couldn't tell you how to switch to the default app.
Actually both are installed as System apps, but I don't like either of them. The main thing I want is a comprehensive month view that lists abbreviations of the events for each day (as iCal does).

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices