Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1
Erkalanger
macrumors newbie

Music recognition software idea, up for grabs!

I just got this idea about a music recognition plug-in for your mac. The app would always be active in the background, listening to whatever audio is played back by the computer, trying to recognise music. Like if Im watching a movie and a song plays, a growl-like message will pop up telling me the name of the song and the artist etc. It would be cool if all identified songs where saved in a log file, or even better, in a Spotify playlist for me to go back to and listen to.

Develop it and you have at least one definite buyer
Erkalanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

There are some privacy issues with that. Just using something like SoundHound when you need it most would be better. I wouldn't like to be interrupted while watching a movie anyway.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:27 PM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkalanger View Post
Develop it and you have at least one definite buyer
One definite buyer means whoever's making it will have to charge a lot to make it worth their time.

It's a cute idea, but I don't see money in it.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:45 AM   #4
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
I actually like the idea, but to make any money out of it you'd need some business acumen!

You have given me an idea though, why not take the idea a lot further? How about a wearable webcam & microphone, and record your entire day. It'll recognise any music you hear, but also record every conversation and use speech recognition to log it, use facial recognition to identify everyone you meet and log their details... (ok, I'm just being silly..)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Tags
background process, growl, music recognition, spottily