Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:15 AM   #1
tommy0614
macrumors member

Apple 27 inch Cinema or Thunderbolt display monitor

Is there a big difference between Apples Thunderbolt display and the Cinema display other than the connections? If I had the two side by side would the displays be very different? That is both being set up with a PC using Windows 7.
tommy0614 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:46 AM   #2
jvette
macrumors 6502

Looking at them from the front there is no difference. They also both share the same resolution of 2560x1440. Turn it around and that is where you can tell there are more ports on the back.

The Thunderbolt only makes sense if you have some Thunderbolt equipment to use it with. You can also daisy chain another monitor to it if you like.

I got the Thunderbolt because I have a Mac Mini hooked up to it that has a Thunderbolt connection in it. It does make it easy to hook up a newer Macbook Pro with a minimal of cables.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:13 AM   #3
Outrigger
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy0614 View Post
Is there a big difference between Apples Thunderbolt display and the Cinema display other than the connections? If I had the two side by side would the displays be very different? That is both being set up with a PC using Windows 7.
If you're using pc, then you're only gonna be able to use the cinema display, as the thunderbolt won't do you any good even if you have a TB mobo as it won't be as easy as hooking up a mac to it.
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:21 AM   #4
martinm0
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
If you're using pc, then you're only gonna be able to use the cinema display, as the thunderbolt won't do you any good even if you have a TB mobo as it won't be as easy as hooking up a mac to it.
Also, keep in mind that you'll need a PC video card that does Mini Displayport out to connect to the Cinema Display as the displays all have male adaptors and I don't think you can connect to other video connections.
martinm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac