Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:38 AM   #1
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Any Project Manager around?

Hello

I have a problem.

I am a multimedia project manager with the degree. I started to work a ta TV station because there was too much disorganization. Then I realized the General Manger who hired me was the one promoting the mess.

He then felt trheated by me because he felt I was taking his power away. I ended up in an editing room developing a new channel. Now, the new channel will be out late this year but there are so many things to do they are not taking care of.

I try to put on paper the plan of action for the next 6 months and they do not want that. The issue is that when the date approaches there are going to be so many things to be done that are going to fall on me.

Now, for the Project Managers... how do you do when you are incorporated in a system to make it better but then they do not want to be better?

Thank you.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:08 AM   #2
twietee
macrumors 68040

Had to work for such clients quite a lot. It's a disaster - bad for you that you even have to work in such a place.

About your question: really no clue / sloution. If I would have, I think I would publish a book and probably get very rich. Those structures are quite resistent until they just fall apart at some point. I see it at Siemens or BMW for example.

One thing though: make sure you have said issues and potential problems you observed well documented publicly, so when the time comes, it's at least not you who is to blame.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:25 AM   #3
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
Hello

I have a problem.

I am a multimedia project manager with the degree. I started to work a ta TV station because there was too much disorganization. Then I realized the General Manger who hired me was the one promoting the mess.

He then felt trheated by me because he felt I was taking his power away. I ended up in an editing room developing a new channel. Now, the new channel will be out late this year but there are so many things to do they are not taking care of.

I try to put on paper the plan of action for the next 6 months and they do not want that. The issue is that when the date approaches there are going to be so many things to be done that are going to fall on me.

Now, for the Project Managers... how do you do when you are incorporated in a system to make it better but then they do not want to be better?

Thank you.

Care to explain this a little more, this question is pretty confusing to read.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

I'm not sure what you're describing is limited to project managers. Seems like people in all kinds of positions feel like they have some ideas for improving an operation, but upper management (right or wrong) sticks to their own ideas moving forward. Don't take it personally.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:06 PM   #5
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Care to explain this a little more, this question is pretty confusing to read.
I mean, they hire you to improve the organization workflow, but then they do not want to improve.

Yes, I have taken notes of the problems and sent emails about it like: so, we are going to do this and this instead as you wanted?

I come with the plan, but then people take the plan apart putting their piece of ego into it. What happens is that my power is taken and my position is not as relevant any more and that goes against my initial salary, because for being project manager I charge as a manager actually, not as an operator. I end up as an "operator plus".
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:51 PM   #6
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
I mean, they hire you to improve the organization workflow, but then they do not want to improve.

Yes, I have taken notes of the problems and sent emails about it like: so, we are going to do this and this instead as you wanted?

I come with the plan, but then people take the plan apart putting their piece of ego into it. What happens is that my power is taken and my position is not as relevant any more and that goes against my initial salary, because for being project manager I charge as a manager actually, not as an operator. I end up as an "operator plus".
Ah ok... yup happens all the time..... That is why I have learned to be some what of a strong willed ala prick to people in order to make sure I get what I need done on said project. It is a tough line especially if that is what you are brought in to do and then you are getting no support from upper management or executives.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:56 AM   #7
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Ah ok... yup happens all the time..... That is why I have learned to be some what of a strong willed ala prick to people in order to make sure I get what I need done on said project. It is a tough line especially if that is what you are brought in to do and then you are getting no support from upper management or executives.
The funny thing is that they still fighting against each other because they need to be organized.

For example, when you play soccer, people usually fallow the ball every where and leave their positions open and then the other team comes and make a goal. The thing is that as long everybody keep their position nothing happen.

That is what people in an organization have to do. To keep their positions and respect others people's position. The first thing is to DEFINE the positions and procedures. Well, where I work the General Manager does not defines anything so he can have always the power to decide and "resolve" the problems. Again, he lets the problems to happen to come with a Superman solution instead of prevent them. Is there where I am so frustrated.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:10 AM   #8
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It is indeed a tightrope and as has been said, it happens everywhere. You can go with the flow and leave the company with goodwill and recommendations intact, sweeping the mess under the rug. Or you can be the hardliner, rolling the dice that you'll make a difference before your rivals with mgmt on their side manage to throw you under the bus. If you do accomplish the former before the latter occurs, you'll be a golden boy to mgmt and you'll have their tacit permission to be a prick in perpetuity because you get results.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
...... how do you do when you are incorporated in a system to make it better but then they do not want to be better?
update your resume and start looking for a new job
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:44 PM   #10
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky-Mac View Post
update your resume and start looking for a new job
Shhh......
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:35 PM   #11
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

Your confrontational strategy of suggesting things are done your way is clearly not working. See if you can change your approach to support their goals and bring them around to your way of thinking more slowly. Try to see your work from their point of view... are you doing anything that they would see as disruptive (ie. you're endangering their plans)?

Make yourself a stakeholder analysis. Which stakeholders have power over your project? Which are supportive? Which are unsupportive? For the unsupportive ones, what is the reason for their lack of support? Can you bring them 'round to your opinion, or can you neutralise their influence in some way? Look on all players through this pragmatic lens.

Be honest, open and transparent. Share your concerns with your sponsors, and ask them for feedback on you and your approach.

Read Covey. Think 'win win' and 'synergize'.
firestarter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:15 PM   #12

Sounds like you work at UHF.
184550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 01:08 AM   #13
Jaro65
macrumors 68040

Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
Here are a couple of thoughts that come to my mind:

First: you were hired to do a job. You need to determine who will eventually decide whether you were successful or not, and also what will be the criteria they will use as part of that decision. I'm presuming that the manager hired you to help him solve whatever problems he is facing. He is your sponsor and he should be supportive of your efforts. If for whatever reason he is not, you need to explore how to link his success to yours. It also seems that your manager likes to react (fight fires), rather than plan to prevent fires from occurring. Have a face-to-face chat with him. Is this really what he enjoys? Wouldn't his life be easier if he helped you plan and execute what needs to get done on time, rather than fighting the last minute fires? Wouldn't he then be recognized for running his organization in a smooth and effective manner?

Second: to succeed, particularly in a project management role, you need to be politically savvy. I would recommend you reading Joel DeLuca's book Political Savvy. You would most likely find his Organization Politics Map tool quite helpful in allowing you to map your stakeholder environment. Doing so, and then using this knowledge, will certainly improve your odds of success.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion