Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:36 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Apple 'iWatch' Patent Application Reveals Slap Bracelet with Wraparound Touch-Sensitive Display

A newly-published patent application from Apple discovered by AppleInsider discloses a new "bracelet" accessory with a wraparound design where the screen would cover the entire outer surface. While the word "watch" is not used anywhere in the patent application, which was filed in August 2011, the "wearable video device" described in the document could clearly serve as an advanced wristwatch.

The patent application describes a "bi-stable spring" design, where the watch strap would automatically curve snugly around any sized wrist, the two ends overlapping as required. The display itself would be flexible, and the patent describes a method by which any portion of the display covered by the overlap could be automatically switched off.

The device's screen is described as having a "touch-sensitive user interface" overlaid on the flexible display, in contrast to the physical buttons used on existing smart watches like Pebble.

The design comprises a thin flexible steel band within a fabric wrap, with the screen glued to the outer surface and the electronics and battery glued to the inner surface, though it also refers to the possibility of a more robust design with a fabric frame surrounding the display.

The display appears to be made up of a series of flexible segments which would be flat when the watch is placed on a desk but which curve as much as needed to fit the wrist when the watch is worn.

The patent application also gives clues as to the possible size of the watch, suggesting a width of one inch. though it should be noted that this refers only to the 'typical' width of such bracelets rather than any specific plan by Apple:
Quote:
The most recent widespread use of such a device was the slap bracelet, also called the slap wrap. The slap bracelet consists of layered flexible steel bands sealed within a fabric cover. Typical slap bracelets are roughly one inch in width by nine inches in length. In a first equilibrium position they can be flat. The second equilibrium is typically reached by slapping the flat embodiment across the wrist, at which point the bracelet curls around the wrist and stays relatively secure in a roughly circular position.
The patent suggests that gyroscopes and accelerometers would be used to allow the watch to determine the orientation of the display, depending, for example, on whether it was worn on left or right wrist.

The patent application also lends weight to speculation that the watch would be a partner device to an iPhone rather than a standalone product, as it refers to "a method for passing information between an accessory device disposed on one surface of a bi-stable spring substrate and a portable electronic device." The watch would act as an input device as well as a display, with reference to a virtual keyboard.

While plugging in the watch to a power source appears to be the primary means of charging the battery, the patent also discusses options for solar power and kinetic charging of the battery, two technologies Apple has addressed in previous patent applications.

Many of Apple's patent applications of course never come to fruition in the form of released products, with Apple instead seeking to control certain technologies or aspects of devices that may appear in completely different forms. As a result, it is unlikely that Apple has plans to launch such a slap bracelet watch accessory, but the patent application does give some insight into what Apple has been considering as it has worked on the project.

Article Link: New Apple 'iWatch' Patent Application Reveals Slap Bracelet with Wraparound Touch-Sensitive Display
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:40 AM   #2
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

I wonder if it will be water resistant? That would be important IMO if they are targeting it to the average Joe.
AppleScruff1 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:40 AM   #3
prfrma
macrumors regular

Want.
prfrma is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:41 AM   #4
newdeal
macrumors 68000

this has the potential to be back to the future level stuff. I have no doubt they will pull it off and while I think googles glasses are a good theory this looks like something I may actually wear
newdeal is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5
tigert07
macrumors regular

It's happening. Here comes another revolution from apple.
tigert07 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:42 AM   #6
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigert07 View Post
It's happening. Here comes another revolution from apple.
Time will never be the same.
AppleScruff1 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:43 AM   #7
runeapple
macrumors 6502

iWatching you!
runeapple is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:43 AM   #8
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Was thinking the same when we recently discussed the thick mockups ... Why not use the space to the display ?

No color and style discussion: there is an app for it ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:44 AM   #9
darklyt
macrumors regular

Samsung's response: The wearable screen sleeve.
darklyt is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:45 AM   #10
ILikeTurtles
macrumors 6502

LMAO - those slap bracelets were all the rage back in the late 80's!
ILikeTurtles is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:45 AM   #11
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

And it must be the best  TV remote thinkable!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:46 AM   #12
ironsienna
macrumors regular

This is the next big thing! I can't wait to call my automated Google car with one of these!

Although I will definitely stay with my current hairstyle!

Last edited by ironsienna; Feb 21, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
ironsienna is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:46 AM   #13
G4DP
macrumors 65816

A slap on strap? They were a kids toy 20 years ago, it was a crap idea then, it won't have improved

It'll soon loose it's ability to form a tight fit.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:47 AM   #14
thewinelake
macrumors newbie

Yawn... Another iDoubtIt

As the article says, Apple uses a lot of patents in defensive territorial-establishment mode.

I suspect this is designed to prevent small companies (but not big ones) bringing vaguely similar innovations to the market.

Apple does have a truly exciting stash of patents - how many does it have on Augmented Reality goggles? I just wish they'd bring more of them to the market, or at least allow someone else to do so until they do.
thewinelake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:47 AM   #15
b166er
macrumors 68020

I'd like to see if they have any actual plans for a watch, but I think we can all safely assume any kind of slap bracelet type design is not gonna happen.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:47 AM   #16
Zzzoom
macrumors newbie

Can we please have a three month hiatus from all iWatch related stuff?! Please, yes. It really makes me avoiding the macrumors site, atm.
Zzzoom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:49 AM   #17
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
I wonder if it will be water resistant? That would be important IMO if they are targeting it to the average Joe.
Yep... I mentioned it before... Having young kids that resist bath time is a perfect example... I've lost my last watch like this... Might get a new watch when my youngest is able to take her damn bath by herself.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:50 AM   #18
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

What happens if you have a small wrist. It says the overlapping portions would be disabled...so if you had a small wrist only a small portion of the strap would function as a display.

The only solution would be to gain a huge amount of weight so you would have a fatter wrist and therefore, a larger display area!!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:51 AM   #19
that user
macrumors member

Hi iBand!
that user is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:52 AM   #20
sc4rf4c3
macrumors regular

Looks like the Nokia 888.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:53 AM   #21
tekno
Banned

Can companies just patent whatever they think of or do they need the technology to back it up?
tekno is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:54 AM   #22
Squilly
macrumors 68020

So... it's velcro....
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:56 AM   #23
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
The only solution would be to gain a huge amount of weight so you would have a fatter wrist and therefore, a larger display area!!
You wear it wrong, put it on the upper arn ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:57 AM   #24
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

A lot hype regarding this watch thing, so it must be real then, and I'm excited about it.
the same hype when apple would introduce a smaller ipad, which some people dont believe its coming
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:58 AM   #25
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
What happens if you have a small wrist. It says the overlapping portions would be disabled...so if you had a small wrist only a small portion of the strap would function as a display.

it'll probably be sold in the US only ... problem solved jk

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion