Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:19 PM   #101
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

It's the UI that's going to count... most of the picture's I've scene of hypothetical watches, have an iphone-like UI squeezed onto a watch face...pretty sure that's not how it's going to be. Just like they redesigned an new UI for mobile devices, they'll likely do it again for wearable devices.
paul4339 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:27 PM   #102
Ceebee1980
macrumors regular

L I Q U I D M E T A L

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DP View Post
A slap on strap? They were a kids toy 20 years ago, it was a crap idea then, it won't have improved

It'll soon loose it's ability to form a tight fit.
Ceebee1980 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:41 PM   #103
cgc
macrumors 6502a

Apple should get rights to:

iSlap - Rick James Edition
iSlap - Ike Turner Edition
iSlap - Chris Brown Edition

"All slaps will be familiar but somehow more condescending"

Last edited by cgc; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
cgc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:20 PM   #104
scho52386
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Apple should get rights to:

iSlap - Rick James Edition
iSlap - Ive Turner Edition
iSlap - Chris Brown Edition

"All slaps will be familiar but somehow more condescending"
LOLOLOL. That's so awesome!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:46 PM   #105
Hell0W0rld
macrumors regular

This won't be a watch, it will be an input device for the Apple TV like the Wii-Controller, Apple will destroy the XBox and PS4.
(And any revenue for direct sales for developers...)
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:48 PM   #106
baryon
macrumors 68030

Now this sounds a lot better than that previous mock-up!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:21 PM   #107
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeTurtles View Post
LMAO - those slap bracelets were all the rage back in the late 80's!
Given how much we tore those things up I can't wait to see the damage folks do with these.

Perhaps they just add $100 to the price and make apple care + part of the package

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
What happens if you have a small wrist. It says the overlapping portions would be disabled...so if you had a small wrist only a small portion of the strap would function as a display.
If things like the Fuelband can have sizes so can this. Especially if it is just an add on to an idevice so it doesn't store anything in the watch. Might only need 1-2 GB for the OS

What I want to know other than the water issue is if it might be solar powered to supplement an onboard battery.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
Can companies just patent whatever they think of or do they need the technology to back it up?
This isn't just an idea. It is the tech they would use to implement their version. The details of that tech are trade secret so only the methodology and design are required to explain their version.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmman View Post
Found it

youtube.com/watch?v=Aw2yiOhsFsc
Nothing in that video is like Apple's patent. If anything it is a step beyond Apple's patent. A concept for taking this tech, if it ever happens, to the next level.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladers View Post
Exactly. Apple proving once again that it truly only emulates and rarely originates. But the fanboys will lap it up as evident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-gTobCJHs

Apple pretty much copied everything to the T.
Really, cause I didn't see anything in their patent about folding up your iPad into a iphone and then into a watch. Or solar power, telling if your phone is spoiled etc

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Would you really go to a cocktail or dinner party w/o a dress watch? Or a high level business meeting.
All the time. Especially parties. I rarely to never wear a watch even at work. My iPhone is fine

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladers View Post

If its apple, its innovation, if its the competitor its emulation.

smh.
You pulled out one detail from a bigger whole that shows that the two are nothing alike.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:27 PM   #108
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Gonna be so cool

cant wait

iwatching
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:30 PM   #109
nognome
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Would you really go to a cocktail or dinner party w/o a dress watch? Or a high level business meeting. Even a $99 Fossil? I don't go to nice functions, or important ones, and see anyone with a naked wrist unless they are a complete boor. Usually those types aren't appropriately dressed in other areas too thought. Even my 19 y.o. nephew who previously had no use for a watch figured out you need one for frat semis, formals, etc. Some people don't wear on a daily occasion, but, are a must for special ones. That's all I'm saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scho52386 View Post
I agree with this completely. I would be embarrassed to go into a meeting with this (rumored) watch on. A lot of people I work/have worked with wear watches to display social status. I guess it would be okay if more than just one person was wearing it, but if someone came into one of my meetings wearing this...I would think they are cheap. I find it cheap even when someone wears an LED watch, GShock, or whatever. If Apple releases one in the $800+ range (and reasons to justify that price range), I might consider taking a look at it if I like the aesthetics of it. This is just me though, and I am pretty weird.
Do either of you have any idea how you sound? Are you really judging people's "social status" by how much money they spend on a watch? It's no different than catty reality TV housewives judging each other by how much they spend on shoes and handbags.

I'd hope you would take a moment to stop and think about what you're doing, if these are the details that matter to you when presenting yourself to the outside world.
nognome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:55 PM   #110
ViPhone
macrumors regular

Still going to maintain that this is a diversion.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:58 PM   #111
scho52386
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nognome View Post
Do either of you have any idea how you sound? Are you really judging people's "social status" by how much money they spend on a watch? It's no different than catty reality TV housewives judging each other by how much they spend on shoes and handbags.

I'd hope you would take a moment to stop and think about what you're doing, if these are the details that matter to you when presenting yourself to the outside world.
Actually...yes. I don't think it's uncommon for people to judge another by the type of watch they wear. It's actually pretty normal to display your social status by your timepiece, I believe. You are also right about the reality TV comment; it is no different than reality TV, but it is how some people operate. I can't say I am not a judgemental person, and I expect to be judged (positively or negatively) by everyone I meet. I think being in a certain field of work plays a big role in this, but I could be wrong. Maybe I am just a bad person for doing it, but yeah...I do judge someone's social status by their timepiece, then their suit, then their haircut, and also by their vehicle if I get the opportunity to see it.

I took a business attire course a bit back when I was in college, and they even mentioned stuff on how to dress at interviews etc. The timepiece was the first topic they discussed, so I can't be the only one!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:59 PM   #112
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Would you really go to a cocktail or dinner party w/o a dress watch? Or a high level business meeting. Even a $99 Fossil? I don't go to nice functions, or important ones, and see anyone with a naked wrist unless they are a complete boor. Usually those types aren't appropriately dressed in other areas too thought. Even my 19 y.o. nephew who previously had no use for a watch figured out you need one for frat semis, formals, etc. Some people don't wear on a daily occasion, but, are a must for special ones. That's all I'm saying.
I guess I'm a complete boor then. My friends and employers judge me on my accomplishments and skills. Anyone that would judge me on what wrist trinket I wear is not worth my time.
Daalseth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:50 PM   #113
badNameErr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmman View Post
Found it

youtube.com/watch?v=Aw2yiOhsFsc
and no doubt Nokia already has patents on everything in the video.
badNameErr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:50 PM   #114
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daalseth View Post
I guess I'm a complete boor then. My friends and employers judge me on my accomplishments and skills. Anyone that would judge me on what wrist trinket I wear is not worth my time.
I think a lot of it depends on the profession. For example, in the legal field, employers will screen who they want to interview based on accomplishments, skills, and qualifications. Once it is to the interview stage, it is largely based on how well you fit the firm personality... Which is based on personality, conversation skills, interests, and professional style.

This may sound childish or catty to you, but professional associations such as law firms are places where you work in close quarters with people every day. These firms want everyone to be compatible and on a generally level playing field. Wearing wingtips, a skinny tie, and a digital watch to an interview says something about what you value and how you view yourself.

I'm not saying I wholly agree (or disagree, for that matter), but it is a smart professional move to acknowledge how the field you are in operates and make your decisions based on what you know about that field.
chrisbru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:45 PM   #115
Zaqfalcon
macrumors regular

I've seen this before

http://www.bigbrownboxblog.com.au/av...play-prototype

Zaqfalcon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:57 PM   #116
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqfalcon View Post
Nice find! And Apple and Sharp are bestest buddies too.
AppleScruff1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:44 PM   #117
flat five
macrumors 68020

too easy to steal it..

sucks but that's gotta be a huge reason why we won't see this thing mass produced..
flat five is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:45 PM   #118
tekstud
macrumors member

The New York City crime rate just spiked up.
tekstud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:55 PM   #119
flat five
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekstud View Post
The New York City crime rate just spiked up.
icrime is for real here..
i barely ever witness crimes being committed first hand (assuming we're saying mj is not a crime ; )
the last two crimes i witnessed was a lady having her iphone snatched out of her hands on a street corner then an ipad jacked from a girl sitting in the park..

both in daylight and open public areas..

this thing though.. that opens up a whole new level of perps i'd imagine..
flat five is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:06 PM   #120
kikima
macrumors member

I want it to summon a user interface from the Cloud and beamed onto a nearby hard surface with fully interactive and customizable screens.
kikima is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:23 PM   #121
radiologyman
macrumors regular

It not the question of if but when. Wearable computing is the next frontier, the problem is that technology needs to get to this point first.
radiologyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:13 AM   #122
Robin4
macrumors 6502

I watched Charlie Rose tonight and it is the first time I've seen him wear a watch, at least a thick black band. He made a point to show it over and over again on the last segment. iWatch wanna-be, or the real thing?
Robin4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:32 AM   #123
rctlr
macrumors 6502

probably going to end up more like this:
Thumb resize.
rctlr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:29 AM   #124
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinhd View Post
Completely disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolius View Post
I have not worn a watch in over twenty years. Granted, I would not voluntarily go to a cocktail or dinner party. As for business meetings, we dress in golf shirts and jeans/slacks (business casual) where I work and I am part owner of the company.

You caught me... commando.

I am 47 years old and still can't tie a tie. I win.

Fair enough. Different social hierarchies have different norms. But it was asked if people still wear watches, and the answer I gave holds... yes. In my world people are expected to dress appropriate for the occasion.

Another part of the reason a watch is key, is because it's rude to pop out your phone to check the time in the company of others, and there isn't always a clock around. OTOH one can discreetly glance at a watch with a gentle arm stretch.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:37 AM   #125
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Well, if that's all it takes to get your willie up...

Could be a cool concept, but I'd prefer to have some of this 'innovation' directed towards the iPhone.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion