Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Brazilian newspaper Jornal do Comércio reports [Google translation, via MacMagazine.com.br] that Apple has been hit with a class action lawsuit over its introduction of the fourth-generation iPad in the country. The lawsuit, led by the Institute of Politics and Law Software (IBDI), reportedly alleges that Apple's deviation from its usual yearly product update cycle amounts to "planned obsolescence" that harms customers who bought the previous generation of the device.
The institute claims that the iPad 4 is not [an] effective technological evolution [compared to] the iPad 3 or 'New iPad', characterizing [a] sort of "planned obsolescence". In practice, the accusation is that the Apple iPad 3 could have reached the shelves with the characteristics presented in the fourth generation - a processor, a connector and a camera a bit more advanced.
The lawsuit also alleges that Apple did not adequately communicate the discontinuation of the third-generation iPad in favor of the new fourth-generation models in the country, with consumers unknowingly buying the "obsolete" third-generation models.

ipad_4_brazil.jpg

An expanded article [Google translation] from O Hoje says that the suit is seeking free replacements for customers who purchased the third-generation iPad, as well as reimbursement of 50% of the purchase price. Finally, IBDI suggests that Apple be subjected to a fine equal to 30% of the value of each third-generation iPad sold in the country to address improper commercial practices and misleading advertising.

Apple said that it was unaware of the lawsuit, which was filed in federal civil court on February 6.

The new lawsuit is not the only difficulty Apple is experiencing in Brazil, as just last week the company officially lost a trademark dispute over the "iPhone" name. The owner of that trademark just barely slipped in under the deadline to make use of the mark by launching a line of Android phones back in December. That company, Gradiente, had applied for the trademark in 2000 and was granted the rights to it 2008. It has indicated that it is open to selling the mark to Apple, although is able to continue selling the iPhone under its current name while additional appeals and negotiations play out.

Update 9:15 AM: TechLinhas reports that it has contacted IBDI about the matter, with the organization claiming that it is unaware of any such action in Brazil. The site is following up further with IBDI and the lawyer quoted in the news stories.

Update 1:29 PM: TechLinhas has now confirmed with the lawyer quoted in the original report that the story is indeed true.

Article Link: Apple Hit with 'Planned Obsolescence' Lawsuit in Brazil over Fourth-Generation iPad

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
So are they going to bring lawsuits against all other tech companies as well, who bring out new products on even shorter schedules? Seems pretty damn ridiculous to me.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Really? It didn't even change name or look.

It's just an internally improved vesion of the 3rd generation one. There are no new actual features. Companies do internal revisions of products to improve them all the time.

Planned obsolescence for me would be removing features from a product in order to make them exclusive to a newer version. Like if Siri locked up or something.

How is it up to lawyers to determine if the 3rd gen iPad should have been the 4th gen one in the first place? If the A6X chip wasn't ready, well it wasn't ready.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Apperently...

the US isn't the only country with sleezy lawyers willing to sue over anything. In the US I'd say this would be tossed out within seconds. In Brazil...?

C.clavin

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
In other news: every piece of technology EVER hit with ridiculous lawsuit. Update my ipad software AND hardware forever! And Nissan give me my new Xterra not my 2005. It's already obsolete!

And also keep your POS 'iPhone' and go away. Don't you have another World Cup to disappoint in?

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
the US isn't the only country with sleezy lawyers willing to sue over anything. In the US I'd say this would be tossed out within seconds. In Brazil...?

In Brazil, those idiots take it seriously.
It`s worse than in the US, believe me.
It`s s*** all over.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
You're kidding, right? That defines Apple. Planned obsolescence. Time travel might be available today, but we're not going to release it until this model which is less "powerful". We're going to sue you when this model comes out because it's better.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I think 1st gen iPad owners would have a stronger case for "planned obsolescence" than 3rd gen owners. Pretty silly law suit though, Apple can release a new iPad whenever they like, and no-one is forced to by every revision. Maybe check the Apple website before plonking down a pile of cash in future?

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
The only part of this article I agree with is the part about customers unknowingly buying the 3rd generation after the 4th generation was released.

There was no way for the average customer to distinguish between them and here in Ireland I thought it was really bad to walk into a store and see the 3rd generation still on sale at Christmas with the same price tag as the 4th generation.

khovland92

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Connecticut
So where are all the lawsuits against the Android manufacturers that crap out a new device every month?

Seriously. They are being targeted just because they are Apple. New tech products come out all the time. Are they actually suggesting Apple should delay tech launches in their country?????? Completely ridiculous, ESPECIALLY for the nature of the industry.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
lol cant blame them for trying. better than us germans who bitch yet no one bothers to do anything about certain things. gema ... gez ... sigh

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
I bought a 2 slice toaster and not a month later I saw that there was a 4 slice toaster available and now my 2 slice toaster is obsolete.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Last time I checked, Apple is a company with only one goal: making money. Even if they planned on releasing a new iPad every day, there's no problem with that.

Why are so many people considering their last year iToys to be obsolete because a new one comes along. The day you purchased it, you were happy to pay for it, so nothing can change that 6 or 12 months later.

Okay, switching over to a new connector and a whole new ecosystem of accessories is annoying, but again, they can introduce a new connector on every model if they wanted to.

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004
Europeans have sort of become used to reading about absurd lawsuits in the media, but usually they take place in the US. Are the Brazilians trying to beat the North-Americans in their own court?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.