Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:51 AM   #26
World Citizen
macrumors regular

Brazil is kind of obsolete in my opinion... Cant swim to it, way to far. Never been there, nothing special to see there, and full of violence..

We already got these country's
World Citizen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:51 AM   #27
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

So we're litigating whining now?
ugahairydawgs is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:52 AM   #28
WesFL
macrumors newbie

From: Tim Cook - $25 ITunes card for the inconvenience. Money goes back to Apple
WesFL is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:53 AM   #29
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Brazil is kind of obsolete in my opinion... Cant swim to it, way to far. Never been there, nothing special to see there, and full of violence..

When was the last time you visited?
AppleScruff1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:53 AM   #30
Qfic
macrumors member

Good for Brazil.
Qfic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:55 AM   #31
bbeagle
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Maybe it's bad karma? Apple sues everyone and now it's coming back to them?
So, according to you, the Institute of Politics and Law Software (IBDI) has bad Karma now. I will be watching to see how they are destroyed by lawsuits.
bbeagle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:55 AM   #32
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple said that it was unaware of the lawsuit, which was filed in federal civil court on February 6.
Not aware of a major lawsuit filed against them.
Not aware of (or not caring about) EU regulations.
More product leaks in the last year than you can shake a stick at (doubling down on secirity )

Who the heck is running this ship?!??
Not impressed Tim. No sir.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:56 AM   #33
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daalseth View Post
the US isn't the only country with sleezy lawyers willing to sue over anything. In the US I'd say this would be tossed out within seconds. In Brazil...?
I was with you, up until the "tossed out within seconds", I'm not so sure that's true.

If I were worried about planned obsolescence, there are a lot of more obvious cases I'd have chosen to complain/sue over than the iPad 3 -> 4 upgrade. That to me was quite a decent upgrade.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:56 AM   #34
newdeal
macrumors 68000

Every device has planned obsolescence, if they didn't plan it to be that way then we would all still be using commodore 64s or playing pong and nothing would ever improve.
newdeal is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:56 AM   #35
thedeejay
macrumors 65816

Sometimes I read stories like this and feel as if people are sitting there and coming up with ways to take Apple's money. In certain cases being too wealthy does hurt I guess
thedeejay is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:58 AM   #36
gumblecosby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post

Xenophobic twaddle
gumblecosby is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:58 AM   #37
drlunanerd
macrumors 65816

Ridiculous
drlunanerd is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:00 AM   #38
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
So, according to you, the Institute of Politics and Law Software (IBDI) has bad Karma now. I will be watching to see how they are destroyed by lawsuits.
I'm not up on that. How long have they been filing frivolous lawsuits?
AppleScruff1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:00 AM   #39
jonnymo5
macrumors 6502

My iPad 3 works great. Far from obsolete.
jonnymo5 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:00 AM   #40
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Last time I checked, Apple is a company with only one goal: making money. Even if they planned on releasing a new iPad every day, there's no problem with that.

Why are so many people considering their last year iToys to be obsolete because a new one comes along. The day you purchased it, you were happy to pay for it, so nothing can change that 6 or 12 months later.

Okay, switching over to a new connector and a whole new ecosystem of accessories is annoying, but again, they can introduce a new connector on every model if they wanted to.
I don't generally find myself defending big corporations, but I have to go along with the above.

Nobody is putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to buy the latest and greatest...even if it come out every two months.

I'm all for consumer protection, but this is overprotection.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:01 AM   #41
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

I think it's time for Apple to just pull their product line from Brazil... not happy with Apple products? Fine, dont' buy it.

MrXiro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:02 AM   #42
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
Hasn't brazil got better things to do?
Nope. They are on strike.
AdonisSMU is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:03 AM   #43
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

To a certain degree - its up to the consumer to educate his/herself.

I could walk into a store and pretty easily have known the difference between the 4th gen and 3rd gen. And while I keep up with all this and am well informed, its really not that difficult for even an average consumer to do if they simply took the time to read about a product before shelling out $400+ for it.....

How about, the pictures on the boxes are different? That's one that EVERYONE could see....

This lawsuit is the epitome of ridiculous.....almost as bad as the "fan" who is suing the San Antonio Spurs for resting players during that Miami-SA game a few moths back....

These crocks should get a life or simply disappear....they don't add anything to society.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:03 AM   #44
blcamp
macrumors newbie

Seriously... how DOES one "plan" obsolescence?

Come on, Brazil. Everything has a shelf life, including technology.

If you can sue Apple for having products that gradually lose their usefulness, then can you also sue dairy farms for milk that loses it's ability to nourish over time?

Someone (or several someones) down there been hanging out at the beach a bit too long...
blcamp is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:03 AM   #45
dustinsc
macrumors regular

You keep using that word...

Hey Brazil. Planned obsolescence. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Something does not become obsolete when something better comes out. It becomes obsolete when it is no longer useful, e.g. a printer for which you can no longer buy ink cartridges.

Last edited by dustinsc; Feb 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Clarification
dustinsc is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:04 AM   #46
johncrab
macrumors 6502

What a bunch of whiners! Apple supports its products far beyond most manufacturers. Most never provide upgrades or updates at all and Apple is very good about this. Technology changes and Apple innovates at a frantic pace. Get on board or get off and buy some yellow pads and pencils.
johncrab is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:04 AM   #47
Death-T
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Death-T
Brazilians must not be accustomed to the ridiculous tech industry that more developed countries have grown used to. It is pretty ridiculous that your brand new phone or tablet will be obsolete in less than a year, but what can ya do? You're either holding everyone back and waiting too long to come out with the next thing or you're planning obsolescence. I'm usually pretty critical of Apple's (and any big corporation's) antics but this is one suit that's pretty funny.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:05 AM   #48
bbeagle
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
I'm not up on that. How long have they been filing frivolous lawsuits?
You don't even read the articles do you? Just iHate all the time.

The Institute of Politics and Law Software (IBDI) is the one who just filed the frivolous lawsuit against Apple.
bbeagle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:06 AM   #49
ericinboston
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by khovland92 View Post
Seriously. They are being targeted just because they are Apple. New tech products come out all the time. Are they actually suggesting Apple should delay tech launches in their country?????? Completely ridiculous, ESPECIALLY for the nature of the industry.
I tend to agree with the article...partly because I am an iPad 3 owner.

The lawsuit refers to Apple historically releasing new updates every 12+ months. In this case, Apple released the iPad 3 in mid March and then updated it again in early November...thus instead of being on a 12-month cycle, it was released 4-5 months early.

Now, the iPad 4 itself isn't any different from the 3 in regards to main/usable features...it simply has a better CPU and GPU if I recall. But still, Apple angered a LOT of people who bought the 3 and then came out with the 4 so quickly. You also need to take into consideration that Apple, HISTORICALLY, has always waited 12+ months to update anything.

Take all this into consideration and you have annoyed people and then lawsuits.

I bought my 3 in March...but if I had bought it in July or later, I would have been extremely upset. The only way to buy the iPad 3 after the 4 was released, was to dig through the Apple website...it was NOT easy to locate. Apple has since made it a bit easier to find the 3.

Overall it was a shady move by Apple.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:07 AM   #50
Oletros
macrumors 603

Is this a joke?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion