Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:29 AM   #76
gatearray
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
Every device has planned obsolescence, if they didn't plan it to be that way then we would all still be using commodore 64s or playing pong and nothing would ever improve.
That's not "planned obsolescence, it's Moore's Law, and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it.
gatearray is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:29 AM   #77
tomhut
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexx27 View Post
I disagree. You go to Apple website, you watch the presentation from Apple telling you how better the new ipad is, then you go to the mall and buy the iPad. You go home, open the box just to discover that you bought an older version of the IPad, and not the one you wanted to.

I think, they should replace people's ipad 3 for the most recent iPad if people alleges they didn't know it was the older one.

C'mon Apple respect brazilians and don't try to sell "old" **** down here.
How is any of this Apple's fault, in your own words Apple have done everything they need to educate the consumer about the new product. Surely the 3rd party retailer would be the one responsible for telling the customer they are buying an older product?
tomhut is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:29 AM   #78
AJTC
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWandHOARDER View Post
I'm in the US and just bought a 4th generation iPad two weeks ago. They still had 3rd generations in stock at the store for the same price. I know what I am looking for but still had to double check and make sure I got the one I wanted.
Exactly. I understand the reseller can't drop the price since they bought it from Apple for that price. The 3rd generation really shouldn't be on the shelves unless it's at a lower price than the 4th generation and I think it's up to Apple to recall unsold ones or find a way to drop the price a bit.
__________________
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPhone 5 32GB, white; iPad Air 16GB, white; Apple TV 3; Airport Express
AJTC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:30 AM   #79
Xero910
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Gotta love how they believe they deserve to know in advance if a new product is coming out. I also love how they want free replacements AND 50% of their money back.
Xero910 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:30 AM   #80
AJTC
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWandHOARDER View Post
I'm in the US and just bought a 4th generation iPad two weeks ago. They still had 3rd generations in stock at the store for the same price. I know what I am looking for but still had to double check and make sure I got the one I wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhut View Post
How is any of this Apples fault, in your own words Apple have done everything they need to educate the consumer about the new product. Surely the 3rd party retailer would be the one responsible for telling the customer they are buying an older product?
The reseller would lose out on getting rid of the 3rd generation models if they did that. Unless the customer specifically asks, the reseller doesn't have to say anything.
__________________
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPhone 5 32GB, white; iPad Air 16GB, white; Apple TV 3; Airport Express
AJTC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:31 AM   #81
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
I'd like to see the law. Planned obsolescence is where support (mainly in parts or necessary services, for legal recourse), is planned to be stopped after a certain, too short, time period. IE, the product is no longer functional, or able to be repaired. The wiki page claims this and if it becomes "unfashionable", which is an utter joke. This suit appears to be on the unfashionable side, since Apple certainly has not stopped supporting the iPad3. I really wish society would stop changing the meaning of words or phrases. Stupid.

Actually, wait. I'm not that interested. I know next to nothing about Brazil and certainly don't want to start reading up on their laws. If this has any standing (but lawsuit =! law), it sounds like a stupid law, though.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:31 AM   #82
davidcmc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
So much ignorance in this thread.
davidcmc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:32 AM   #83
Keebler
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
idiotic

Wow. What's next - are you going to sue car manufacturers for different models?

Does a new iPad make the old one obsolete? dumb dumb dumb.

If you bought one right before the new one came out, Apple would exchange it.

I have to admit, and this will probably get me flamed, I would have thought this lawsuit would have come out of the US rather than Brazil just because it seems lawsuits in the US are rampant? I could be wrong.

But regardless, dumb imho.
Keebler is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:32 AM   #84
nexx27
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I do agree that this happened to Apple because they are Apple.

For example, Volkswagen STILL sells Golf IV down here!!!!!!!!

They are selling Golf VII in europe, that's 3 generations back!
nexx27 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:32 AM   #85
pdc123
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Uhh, my iPad 2 works just fine and still receives updates. It's not even in a iPhone-3G-sluggishness-after-updates death spiral, it works just as good as when I got it. People need to grow up and vote with their wallet.
pdc123 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:33 AM   #86
dazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
And here I thought all brazilians did was play soccer and women beach volleyball

They are hard core at suing anything that annoys them.
dazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:34 AM   #87
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcmc View Post
So much ignorance in this thread.
So much ignorance on the internet is what I think you meant

p.s. I think the basis of the lawsuit is clearly because with the iPad 4; Safari is "snappier"
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:35 AM   #88
nexx27
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhut View Post
How is any of this Apple's fault, in your own words Apple have done everything they need to educate the consumer about the new product. Surely the 3rd party retailer would be the one responsible for telling the customer they are buying an older product?
No, they should ****ing print at LEAST "3RD GENERATION" on the box. Or call "IPAD 3".
nexx27 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:35 AM   #89
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
What was not accurate about my comment that Apple files a lot of lawsuits? And some of them frivolous?
"A lot" is very subjective in this case. Apple was the most sued company in tech even before its smartphone lawsuits started. Probably because they are successful, not because they sued HTC and Samsung.
BaldiMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:35 AM   #90
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
These people are insane. Either that, or a bunch of crazy entitled Americans are living down there and they're the ones that filed the suit. You know, right after they drove through a fast food place and burned themselves with hot coffee..This is stupid and it should be dismissed.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:36 AM   #91
Sean4000
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Louisiana
Creative

If there is one company that should have been sued over this "planned obsolescence" cr@p, it's Creative. Their handling of the Daniel_K incident was criminal.
__________________
"They say time is the fire in which we burn. Right now my time is running out. We leave so many things unfinished in our lives......."
Sean4000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:37 AM   #92
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
How dare they make new products!

This is absolutely bat-poo-crazy.
__________________
2012 MPB 15, 16GB, 512SSD, Geek 11941 - Logic Audio
2009 Mac Pro, 64GB, 5,1 Firmware, X5570 swap x2, EVGA GTX570, VEP5, Kontakt, and AE
spoonie1972 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:38 AM   #93
syd430
Guest
 
What a backwards country. On par with Gillard's Price Inquiry
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:38 AM   #94
bloggerblog
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Apparently Brazil does not buy Samsung which are made obsolete on a bi-monthly basis.
bloggerblog is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:38 AM   #95
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a
 
phillipduran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iowa
Oh mah gawd! Seriously?

Planned obsolescence? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I would love to see Apple completely remove all support for Brazil. Don't sell them anything and move the factories.

If you bought an older iPad, you still have that iPad and it still works. The world is going to move on and make new stuff. If you have "New Shiny Syndrome" then you're just going to have to accept the costs that go along with it. I have the original iPad and there hasn't been a single release of any Apple products that have affected me in any way.

Brazil
__________________
That's "Geniuses," not Genii, genius.
To err, is PC.
phillipduran is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:38 AM   #96
okeefe13
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I just took a cr*p and had to flush TWO times!!!! I'm going to sue the toilet manufacturer. Really????
okeefe13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:39 AM   #97
slffl
macrumors 65816
 
slffl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Oh. My. God. How pathetic can people get? Suing because you want updated products to come out LESS frequently?
__________________
Why waste your time posting how much you hate Apple products?
slffl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:39 AM   #98
mabhatter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDaddyx2 View Post
Funny, my iPad 3 still works fine. Apparently ones bought in Brazil stopped working as soon as iPad4 came out.
In Brazil it's worse because of the near 100% import Tarrif on electronics. So when something goes obsolete in a short time, customers are punished EXTRA by the Tax man.

Of course, Apple sells these world wide... They don't have time to adjust a release because taxes are outrageous in just one country. I'd say Apple should just take them all back! No more 3 or 4 gen iPads. It was a "stealth" upgrade anyway Apple didn't make that big of deal... Just started shipping new ones for the same price.... How is that "bad"???
mabhatter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:41 AM   #99
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
"A lot" is very subjective in this case. Apple was the most sued company in tech even before its smartphone lawsuits started. Probably because they are successful, not because they sued HTC and Samsung.
Frivolous is also subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipduran View Post
Oh mah gawd! Seriously?



I would love to see Apple completely remove all support for Brazil. Don't sell them anything and move the factories.
It's a good thing you aren't CEO of Apple. Because I have plenty of eyerolls and confused looks for you for suggesting that as an option
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:41 AM   #100
danpass
macrumors 68020
 
danpass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, FL
I am now reminded of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufw2D8oMJ64





.
danpass is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Announces December Launches for iPhone 5, iPad Mini, and Fourth-Generation iPad in China MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 37 Dec 4, 2012 04:00 AM
All iPads: Are Apple products subject to planned obsolescence? PhiladelphiaX iPad 26 Nov 18, 2012 08:44 AM
Apple Posts iOS 6.0.1 Downloads for Cellular-Capable iPad Mini and Fourth-Generation iPad MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 36 Nov 11, 2012 09:45 PM
Nexus 10 Reviews Hit the Web as Fourth-Generation iPad Sales Begin MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 310 Nov 7, 2012 03:22 PM
Apple and planned obsolescence dukebound85 Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 28 Jun 17, 2012 08:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC