Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

go ipad

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Hello all,

Thanks for the great information here.

I just want to hear other's experiences on replacement unit. I will be receiving a replacement iPad 4, due to display issue. The Apple support told me that the replacement unit will be a re-manufactured one but, not refurbished - not sure of the differences.

My question is that is it normal, when getting an iPad replaced? So they never give out the new one as the replacement???

Mine is iPad 4 (Wi-Fi) and got it back in 11/2012.

Regards.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Apple take all the returns and essentially I guess they do " Re Manufacture " them...faulty components are replaced, and it will be in a plain brown box...you can rest assured that it will be as good as a new one...look at it this way..in some respects your " new" iPad has been subjected to more scrutiny then many off the line units.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The difference is this:

Refurbished: Damaged/Returned unit is repaired with working parts, run through tests, and then packaged up to sell or use as a replacement for repairs.

Remanufactured: Damaged/Returned unit is broken down into useful parts. Anything damaged is recycled. A new unit is built from the useful parts scavenged from these other units.

In either case, the final unit is run through the manufacturing tests. When buying "new", usually only a random sample of each batch is run through manufacturing tests. From a customer perspective, there isn't much difference if the company does their job right between any of the three units.

The desire to reduce e-waste is the whole reason why Apple doesn't just give new product out as replacement. Why ask Apple to spend all the effort to break down a perfectly good motherboard, display, or case into raw materials?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
My question is that is it normal, when getting an iPad replaced? So they never give out the new one as the replacement???
It's typical for the entire industry. If you have a new device you can return it and buy a new one. If it's not new (your case since you bought it back on 11/12) why would you expect a new device in return? Do you have any experience with Apple remans or refurbs?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The difference is this:

Refurbished: Damaged/Returned unit is repaired with working parts, run through tests, and then packaged up to sell or use as a replacement for repairs.

?

Not exactly. Apple doesn't do repairs on refurbs. They test the unit, wipe any data, and sell it marked as refurb on their website. If the unit fails testing then it goes into the remanufacture process.

Remanufactured is taking it apart, testing each piece separately and dumping any defective parts. The good ones are used to build replacements for service although many of them are actually new. They don't track which is which in terms of serials which is why the terms and conditions of service say new or like new in quality.

Last edited:

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Not exactly. Apple doesn't do repairs on refurbs. They test the unit, wipe any data, and sell it marked as refurb on their website. If the unit fails testing then it goes into the remanufacture process.

Not exactly:

"Apple Certified Refurbished

We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty. All refurbished iPad models also include a brand new battery and outer shell."

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Hello all,

Thanks for the great information here.

I just want to hear other's experiences on replacement unit. I will be receiving a replacement iPad 4, due to display issue. The Apple support told me that the replacement unit will be a re-manufactured one but, not refurbished - not sure of the differences.

Mine is iPad 4 (Wi-Fi) and got it back in 11/2012.

Regards.

They test all of the parts that go into them, and even give you a new case, screen and a battery. In a way, these re-manufactured models are a great deal. These remanufactured ones go through many more tests than a new one would. You get a new case, so if you had any scratches or scuffs bothering you they will be gone. Plus the battery is just another bonus, as those loose their charge over time.

Using a remanufactured iPhone 5 due to my old one having camera issues, and I have no complaints.

jgag

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I can't recall a single time I received a remanufactured replacement from the Apple Store for an iPhone or iPad where the replacement wasn't better than the original. My first experience with this was with an iPhone 3G that would just randomly turn itself off. I didn't realize all the other stuff that was wrong with it until I got the replacement. Anyone who complains when Apple doesn't replace their device with a new device with the box still in its original factory shrink wrap doesn't realize they're better off with getting a remanufactured unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.