Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:53 AM   #1
jekyl
macrumors regular

Upgrade to the latest iOS, now dead?

This morning my ipod touch (4G 32gig) showed a new iOS update (6.1.2?) but failed the update. I thought little of it, connected to my macbook (Mountain Lion) and tried through itunes. Now the ipod is caught in recovery mode and nothing I've tried has budged it. Tried restarting it, shutting it down, connecting to another computer, all attempts to restore it fail, nothing brings it back to an iOS screen. I got this as a refurb for an out of warrantee replacement for my 2 year old ipod that white screened exactly one week ago. The Apple store is nearly two hours away so I'd rather hate to make the drive again. Is there any hope at all?
jekyl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:55 AM   #2
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl View Post
This morning my ipod touch (4G 32gig) showed a new iOS update (6.1.2?) but failed the update. I thought little of it, connected to my macbook (Mountain Lion) and tried through itunes. Now the ipod is caught in recovery mode and nothing I've tried has budged it. Tried restarting it, shutting it down, connecting to another computer, all attempts to restore it fail, nothing brings it back to an iOS screen. I got this as a refurb for an out of warrantee replacement for my 2 year old ipod that white screened exactly one week ago. The Apple store is nearly two hours away so I'd rather hate to make the drive again. Is there any hope at all?
google "ios recovery mode"
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
jekyl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
google "ios recovery mode"
First thing I did, and tried everything I found. I don't "jailbreak" and most (virtually all) threads and articles refer to jailbreaks gone bad. Every attempt at combinations of holding home and power buttons result in the same restore screen, attempts to restore using every computer (Mac and PC) fail as well.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:35 PM   #4
jekyl
macrumors regular

Is there a foolproof way to just get the iPod Touch out of recovery mode? Rebooting and connecting to itunes for recovery both fail.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:43 PM   #5
blueroom
macrumors 603

Yep, DFU restore.
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:30 AM   #6
jekyl
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Yep, DFU restore.
That seems to have been the trick. It took four tries but it did finally go and it's now accepting a restore from backup. It appears this all started from using a slightly frelled iPod cable for that software update.

Thanks.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch