Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
This morning my ipod touch (4G 32gig) showed a new iOS update (6.1.2?) but failed the update. I thought little of it, connected to my macbook (Mountain Lion) and tried through itunes. Now the ipod is caught in recovery mode and nothing I've tried has budged it. Tried restarting it, shutting it down, connecting to another computer, all attempts to restore it fail, nothing brings it back to an iOS screen. I got this as a refurb for an out of warrantee replacement for my 2 year old ipod that white screened exactly one week ago. The Apple store is nearly two hours away so I'd rather hate to make the drive again. Is there any hope at all?

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
This morning my ipod touch (4G 32gig) showed a new iOS update (6.1.2?) but failed the update. I thought little of it, connected to my macbook (Mountain Lion) and tried through itunes. Now the ipod is caught in recovery mode and nothing I've tried has budged it. Tried restarting it, shutting it down, connecting to another computer, all attempts to restore it fail, nothing brings it back to an iOS screen. I got this as a refurb for an out of warrantee replacement for my 2 year old ipod that white screened exactly one week ago. The Apple store is nearly two hours away so I'd rather hate to make the drive again. Is there any hope at all?

google "ios recovery mode"

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
google "ios recovery mode"

First thing I did, and tried everything I found. I don't "jailbreak" and most (virtually all) threads and articles refer to jailbreaks gone bad. Every attempt at combinations of holding home and power buttons result in the same restore screen, attempts to restore using every computer (Mac and PC) fail as well.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
Is there a foolproof way to just get the iPod Touch out of recovery mode? Rebooting and connecting to itunes for recovery both fail.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
Yep, DFU restore.

That seems to have been the trick. It took four tries but it did finally go and it's now accepting a restore from backup. It appears this all started from using a slightly frelled iPod cable for that software update.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.