Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gooter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Chicagoland
According to S.t.i.c.k.e.r.b.o.y, Apple will no longer allow them or other skin manufacturers to have a cutout around the Apple logo on the back skin. Apple feels it is a misrepresentation as if the skins were produced by Apple.

Bummer! One possible alternative is to buy the Apple logo stickers from Lucky Labs and place it on the back of the skin (but it won't be the same since it will be slightly raised). Any other ideas?

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Yeah I saw that on their website when I went to look for a some side skins.

I wonder if there is a workaround for this. Like not a completely cutout logo but perforated like paper towels and you just have to connect/cut the dots.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
Pretty certain Apple has always been 'not on board' with that. But manufacturers do it until they get a letter from Apple legal.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Eh, who cares? Most people will know you're using an iPhone anyway. I always thought that the cutouts looked crappy anyway because the logo is mirrored. They always looked like they were misaligned at certain angles.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Solution? An Apple Stencil and this?

X-Acto-knife.jpg

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Eh, who cares? Most people will know you're using an iPhone anyway. I always thought that the cutouts looked crappy anyway because the logo is mirrored. They always looked like they were misaligned at certain angles.

Everyone I know takes their time and lines it up perfectly. But the best thing about cut outs is being able to put a separate insert in it that wasn't raised.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Why would you want to show it any way? People are very strange.

Because iPhones are expensive and thus a status symbol for insecure people. It's kind of the same mentality you get with most expensive brands; the poorer people are, they more they have to prove and wear more bling and flashy brands. It actually devalues the brand in the end.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Apple is too anal and controlling. Could you imagine car makers preventing companies from making items to mod your car? Better brakes, nope, it would falsely represent their car. :rolleyes:

HubertK

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Apple is too anal and controlling. Could you imagine car makers preventing companies from making items to mod your car? Better brakes, nope, it would falsely represent their car. :rolleyes:

But the mods for the car don't have the companies logo and apple doesn't care as long as they don't use to apple logo as a cut out. To be honest this is a fair point as there is some dumb people which think that everything with the apple as a logo belongs to apple as a company.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Apple is just making their products less attractive with this move. The ugly circle cutouts for the Apple logo are disgusting, and because of the lack of logoed cases it reduces my likelyhood to purchase the phone in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.