Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:34 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's iPod Nano Pedometer Patent Application Sparks iWatch Speculation

Apple has been rumored for some time to be working on an "iWatch" featuring biometric sensors and integration with other iOS devices, and a recently published patent application (via AppleInsider) addressing pedometer functions is being presented as evidence that the company is indeed working on a wrist-worn fitness device.
Quote:
In some implementations, optimizations for detecting steps when a pedometer is worn at a user's wrist are described. In some implementations, a threshold crossing step detection method can be enhanced for wrist locations by counting the number of positive peaks between comparison threshold crossings, adjusting a minimum peak-to-peak threshold for qualifying threshold crossings, and inferring a second step based on the amount of time between threshold crossings. In some implementations, the pedometer can automatically determine that the pedometer is being worn on a user's wrist.
The problem with this interpretation is that Apple already offers a product with a built-in pedometer and which is frequently worn on the wrist or arm: the iPod nano with Nike+ integration. Also supporting the idea that this research was pursued with the iPod in mind is the fact that the sole inventor listed on the patent, Yash Modi, is open about his work on iPod pedometer functionality during his time at the company. Modi left Apple in March 2012 to join Nest.

While such pedometer functionality is likely to make its way into the iWatch given rumors of emphasis on biometric sensors for the device, Apple's patent application is by no means a smoking gun given that the technology has been in use for a number of years already. The built-in pedometer debuted in the fifth-generation iPod nano introduced in September 2009.

Still, Apple's "Wrist Pedometer Step Detection" patent offers an interesting glimpse at how Apple has worked to optimize algorithms for detecting steps when a device is worn on the wrist. Unlike standard pedometers that are worn on the waist and provide consistent step data, the wrist adds complexity to step measurement because its motion is not always tied to actual forward movement. Algorithms analyzing wrist movement data must isolate actual steps from the background movement when users are typing, driving or performing other common tasks.

Apple's filtering method of step analysis accurately measures this movement and has the added benefit of being able to analyze movement from a device that is worn anywhere on the body. The software powering the device also can determine when a device is worn on the wrist or another body part and will adjust its analysis based on the device's location.

Apple is expected to unveil its iWatch wearable later this year with health and productivity features that connect the device to a user's iPhone or iPad via Siri and iOS 8's Healthbook app.

Article Link: Apple's iPod Nano Pedometer Patent Application Sparks iWatch Speculation
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

All of a sudden I've got an urge to watch one of those stick-men Kung-Fu animations..
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Apple should make the iWatch use Automatic quartz, if that's possible
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:44 AM   #4
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

So the iWatch will allow amputees to strut with confidence?

Last edited by AngerDanger; Mar 13, 2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: good for him
AngerDanger is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:45 AM   #5
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
So the iWatch will allow amputees to strut with confidence?
Only if your other arm is a Playstation Move controller.
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:46 AM   #6
aprofetto8
macrumors regular

iPed.
aprofetto8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Radio
macrumors 68000

Pedometers are funny

They don't actually tell you how much calories you burn when you are stationary.

Ie lifting, yoga, cycling

I mean no offense but the people with pedometers buy them don't lose weight and throw them in a drawer.

Get a heart rate sensor and eat well.
Radio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:17 PM   #8
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Pedo in Spanish means fart, so a Pedometer would be a device that quantices your farts. Very clever.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:18 PM   #9
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Pedometers are funny

They don't actually tell you how much calories you burn when you are stationary.

I mean no offense but the people with pedometers buy them don't lose weight and throw them in a drawer.

Right, and spoons are funny too. They can't cut food. Forks are odd too. When you eat soup with them all the broth escapes!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:40 PM   #10
NightFox
macrumors 68000

I want all these health functions, but I don't see me wanting to swap my current watch for an Apple one - I hope there's going to be an alternative, something like a high-tech version of the UP that I can wear on the other wrist.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:10 PM   #11
stevenglass
macrumors newbie

Well, probably no because...

Seems to me, if this were so, the person in the drawing would be wearing a wristwatch. Its an attention to details thing.
stevenglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:32 PM   #12
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Will it and Healthbook™ calculate how long before you need knee surgery and a hip replacement due to excess exercise and joint impact?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 02:43 PM   #13
George Zip
macrumors member

Ah god! My left knee isn't supposed to bend like this!
George Zip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 03:54 PM   #14
Yumbo
macrumors regular

M7 chip is a pedometer more or less.
Been out a while now.
Yumbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 04:33 PM   #15
bketchum
macrumors regular

It seemed to me that Apple was on to something with its Sixth-generation iPod Nano. I liked how some accessory makers created bands for it so you could wear it like a watch. I was tempted to get one because of that.

This made me wonder if maybe Apple's so-called iWatch is actually an 8th-gen iPod Nano that is beefed up with biometric sensors and can communicate with your iPhone. Perhaps instead of creating a new product line, Apple could reinvigorate the iPod line.

Just a thought.
bketchum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 05:41 PM   #16
Radio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Right, and spoons are funny too. They can't cut food. Forks are odd too. When you eat soup with them all the broth escapes!
You must be overweight

You even lift bro?
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:40 PM   #17
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Pedometers are funny

Unfortunately, your advice doesn't work for everyone, either.

In a bid to lose weight and get into better shape, I bought the Nike+ pedometer kit seven years ago.

It didn't get tossed into a drawer. I still use it every day.

I've logged 20,000 miles and have lost (and kept off) 20 pounds.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:18 PM   #18
Tech198
macrumors 601

How many new patents Apple keeps having ideas about, and how many of them actually go public ?

This it like a 'nightmare on elm street' When i wake up, it will all be gone.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:40 PM   #19
jm001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
All of a sudden I've got an urge to watch one of those stick-men Kung-Fu animations..
I got the urge to watch the Lego movie again or get up and do the robot.
jm001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:57 PM   #20
Radio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
Unfortunately, your advice doesn't work for everyone, either.

In a bid to lose weight and get into better shape, I bought the Nike+ pedometer kit seven years ago.

It didn't get tossed into a drawer. I still use it every day.

I've logged 20,000 miles and have lost (and kept off) 20 pounds.
And you didn't lose the weight because of nike

U must of ate differently

Your pedometer tell u that?

No

It's all about calories

Congrats on your weight loss

I lost 25+ lbs myself

Gained lots of muscle too
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:00 PM   #21
Autrement
macrumors member

Quote:
You must be overweight

You even lift bro?
"You even lift bro?" I laughed at first because this would have been a really fantastic parody of what some meathead dudebro would say, but on second reading and on comparing to this guy's earlier posts, he appears to be perfectly serious.

At least he wrote "you" instead of "u" this time.
Autrement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:21 PM   #22
Radio
macrumors 68000

Hah do you even lift - really
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:36 PM   #23
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
You must be overweight

You even lift bro?
Yes, I'm as fat as you are clever, which is to say not at all. Clearly you realized the stupidity of your original post & had no intellectual comeback to my response.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:23 PM   #24
Radio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Yes, I'm as fat as you are clever, which is to say not at all. Clearly you realized the stupidity of your original post & had no intellectual comeback to my response.
You don't like being teased

You are one of the few success stories with Fitbit

You walked. Wow

Clap
Clap
Clap

Where are your muscles?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:32 PM   #25
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
You don't like being teased

You are one of the few success stories with Fitbit

You walked. Wow

Clap
Clap
Clap

Where are your muscles?
Teased? I don't even know you. Teasing is something friends do to each other. Your comments were just defensive and nothing more that an childish attack because you had no intellectual response. But since you care so much about me, I run 30 miles a week, but I'm self confident that I don't need to mock people that might want to walk to build my ego. Anything that gets people moving is great to me. I do love activity monitors, yes. But they are just tools, which was my original point to your original post. Every tool has a distinct use.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion