Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsotak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
US
I currently have a 27" iMac on order with the 3TB Fusion drive. I need to be able to install Windows via Bootcamp for some work purposes, and I know there are a couple of ways around that 3TB limit (the two canoes solution http://twocanoes.com/support/winclo...-a-boot-camp-partition-on-a-3-tb-fusion-drive). And I really want the Windows partition on an SSD so I get the speed benefit.

What I really want to do is install Windows 7 on an external Lacie Rugged SSD to use both Bootcamp and Parallels (for quick access) from that external hard drive.

Two questions:
1) I know it is possible to do that with the 1TB hard drive (via this method https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16712316#post16712316), but I didn't know if I could follow the two canoes solution first to get to the bootcamp partition, and then do the above steps to get it on the external drive, and then repartition the internal drive to be 3TB again.
2) If the image is on an external thunderbolt drive, will Parallels find that no problem and still be able to load? I'm assuming yes, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
1) There are several threads here on how to install Windows on an external SSD, independent to your internal Fusion drive. You will experience nearly the same speed as an internal SSD based Windows installation. You do have to chose your external enclosure carefully to be sure it is Windows compatible.

2) There are some precautions for running the external Windows installation with Parallels or VMware which are discussed in the threads.

bsotak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
US
I guess I was more concerned about whether it can run parallels, because I've seen lots of things about installing on the external drive. I've searched around, but haven't come across the issues with parallels on the external drive. Do you happen to have any specific threads to point me to?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I guess I was more concerned about whether it can run parallels, because I've seen lots of things about installing on the external drive. I've searched around, but haven't come across the issues with parallels on the external drive. Do you happen to have any specific threads to point me to?

The threads are pretty easy to find, but here is one which describes 2 different methods for installing Windows to an external drive. I have tried both methods and they do work, but each has some minor drawbacks over installing on an internal drive.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508618/

I don't use Parallels anymore, but my tests with VMware Fusion only worked when there was an internal boot manager found, either with an internal partition installation, or with an external drive with a small internal boot manager partition.

Good luck with your installation and post your experience.

-howard

bsotak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
US
I guess that is one of the reasons I started this thread. I had read through that post before, but it doesn't seem like anyone has tried using parallels with the external installation of windows on the SSD. I was hoping to get an answer from someone that has done it.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I guess that is one of the reasons I started this thread. I had read through that post before, but it doesn't seem like anyone has tried using parallels with the external installation of windows on the SSD. I was hoping to get an answer from someone that has done it.

Oh ... OK ...

From the thread linked above, go to post #80 where I posted just yesterday:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16883345/

To answer my own question ... I could not use the external Windows installation with VMware Fusion as a virtual-machine since apparently it can't be located without a boot loader on the internal OS X boot drive. I guess I expected this however.

The first method, which requires a small boot loader partition did work with VMware (and probably Parallels). I have created external Windows installations several times and using it as the VMware host is among my top priorities. I no longer use Parallels, but it and VMware operated very similar.

The 3TB Fusion creates some additional minor issues with Windows installations which I and many others have suggested solutions for. The TwoCanoes article is the key to one of those methods if you want a hard-disk based Windows installation.

Good luck...

-howard

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I followed a guide written by a kind member on here ... i have a win7 64-bit install on an external thunderbold LaCie SSD drive and required no amendment to stock mac installation ... completely stand-alone

bsotak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
US
hfg, I guess my point was that you said "and probably parallels". I read that entire thread. I was very specific about asking about parallels, not vmware. Surely someone has tried the external installation with parallels and could give me an actual answer, not just "probably".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.