Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juandagis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I finally found my mobile sync files and moved them to my external hard drive, but how do I tell itunes where they are or where do I put the files so that itunes will find them? I moved them because my Macbook Air has very little hard drive space. When I sync it says "could not back up phone error". please help! No Apple store near me... i just want my itunes to back everything up to my external.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I finally found my mobile sync files and moved them to my external hard drive, but how do I tell itunes where they are or where do I put the files so that itunes will find them? I moved them because my Macbook Air has very little hard drive space. When I sync it says "could not back up phone error". please help! No Apple store near me... i just want my itunes to back everything up to my external.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do. The iTunes iOS backups are stored in the below folder. Did you move them to an external drive, and now want to move them back? You should be able to quit iTunes and copy them back.

Code:
~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Juandagis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Yes that's the file I moved. How can I get it to back up in my external hard drive? Where do I copy it to so it gets to back up to my external? Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes that's the file I moved. How can I get it to back up in my external hard drive? Where do I copy it to so it gets to back up to my external? Thanks!

Just so I understand, you want to do an iTunes iOS backup and have that file end up on the external drive? I don't know of a way to do that without moving your entire user home folder to the external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.