Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I sent today a text message to 15 people. Some of them replied to me (at least that's what they thought). But instead of just texting to me they texted to all 15 people. And since I did not know better I then also texted back to all 15 people although I wanted to text only to two of them in two individual messages.

Is this normal that a text that I send to several recipients becomes some kind of group thread and when anybody replies it goes to all people of this group?

Is it possible to prevent something like that from the very beginning - can I send a text message to several people without making a group thing out of it?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
If they're using iPhones it will show up as a group thread that all users can see and reply to. For other types of devices it will vary. BB and Windows have group chat built in but Android does not support it natively and requires a third party app (except on Verizon). For those people with devices that don't support group messaging, they will see each person's response as an individual text message from that person and won't be able to post messages into the mass group thread.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Thanks. I still have some questions:

1.) As a sender of a text message to several recipients - do I have the possibility to send such a message in a way that it does not become a group thing but appears as a one-to-one message at each recipient?

2.) As a recipient of a text message that has been sent to several recipients - can I recognize such a text message easily as a group thing and how?

3.) As a recipient - how do I answer to only a single person of a group message m (i. e. the person that has answered last, wanted to write only to me, but sent it to everybody, and now I want to answer only to that person).

Greetings - desertman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.