Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
My friend has an iPhone 4 that he never set up his own account for. When he got it, he just plugged it into his roommate's computer to get all of her music and contacts, using her iTunes account (she also has an iPHone 4). He has also purchased games.

Now it won't let him sync, because apparently only one phone is allowed now or something (from what he says, he gets an error, I have no idea how accurate that is). So he wants to reset his phone and make his own iTunes account.

So now the question... He wants to know if there's a way to extract his game save files (maybe iFile?) and save them. He doesn't care about re-purchasing the games on his own account, but he just doesn't want to lose the saves. I have no idea, so I told him I'd check here. I told him about jailbreaking, and this was the only thing he wanted, haha.

Any ideas on if that's even possible? I know there are probably a bunch of different save methods, ranging from iCloud to SQL databases, so I'm guessing there's no "standard" way and it would vary by each game. Just curious if anyone has tried before.

Thanks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
DataDeposit on cydia. He needs to JB it now first.
Then Open datadeposit, backup his game progress for each app he wants to save.
Then restore the phone, install the apps again, jailbreak it, install datadeposit and click restore whatever game he wants to restore back his progress.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
My friend has an iPhone 4 that he never set up his own account for. When he got it, he just plugged it into his roommate's computer to get all of her music and contacts, using her iTunes account (she also has an iPHone 4). He has also purchased games.

Now it won't let him sync, because apparently only one phone is allowed now or something (from what he says, he gets an error, I have no idea how accurate that is). So he wants to reset his phone and make his own iTunes account.

So now the question... He wants to know if there's a way to extract his game save files (maybe iFile?) and save them. He doesn't care about re-purchasing the games on his own account, but he just doesn't want to lose the saves. I have no idea, so I told him I'd check here. I told him about jailbreaking, and this was the only thing he wanted, haha.

Any ideas on if that's even possible? I know there are probably a bunch of different save methods, ranging from iCloud to SQL databases, so I'm guessing there's no "standard" way and it would vary by each game. Just curious if anyone has tried before.

Thanks.

most of the time the saves are in the documents folder of the app so you can try backin dat up

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I use AppBackup. You can choose specific app save data you want to keep. Backup your games. After you install the game back, open AppBackup and click restore and you should be good to go

As long as you're not restoring, you won't have to worry about transferring the backup files to your computer

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks guys, that's really helpful. I'll let him know!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
they have probably authorized to many devices and need to deactivate some. My daughter and I share my iphone my ipod her ipod and her labtop plus my pc. all working fine with itunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.