Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twr7cx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
I have a 27" iMac with dual HDD (SSD and HDD), the Operating System is on the SSD and the HDD contains all the data (the Home folder is located on the HDD).

I have an Apple TimeCapsule and a USB HDD connected to the iMac that both contain Time Machine backups - these both contain complete backups off all the data from both the SSD and the HDD (approximately 1.2TB in total for a backup).

I have a new machine, also with dual HDD (SSD and HDD), I want to migrate from the old one to the new one. I thought this would be easy using the Time Machine backups, but the new Mac doesn't is only picking up 6.1GB of the back up (it's only migrating the data from the SSD, not that which is stored on the HDD).

Any ideas on how I can change this to move over all the data?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If I was in your position, I would ditch Time Machine, and create entirely NEW backups using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

The difference is that when you use CCC or SD, your backups will be in POFF (plain ol' finder format), easy to mount and sort through. You can even "move things manually" if needed.

Then, I would use Migration Assistant to first migrate the user accounts ONLY (not including any data from those accounts, since things like music and video are stored in different locations).

Then, I would use Migration Assitant _again_, and this time migrate ONLY the data associcated with your account(s).

Hmmm… If you want to keep "your previous setup" -- that is, system files on the SSD and home folders and data on a separate HDD, Migration Assistant may not be able to handle that.

You may have to be satisfied by doing a "fully-manual migration" -- that is, carefully moving things yourself, and then using the terminal commands necessary to instruct the OS that your home folder is on a separate volume. Isn't that how you did it the first time around?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.