Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:37 PM   #1
glennsan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
CPU Upgrade - 1.4 GHZ vs 1.7 GHZ ?????

I am in a quandry, I am probably going to update my DA 533 with either of the above mentioned cards. They are the same price at OWC ($299). The two big differences that I see are that the 1.4 has the 2MB L3 cache and the 1.7 uses lower voltage so it might be quieter. I don't really use my computer for much besides the usual email/internet/itunes/iphoto with imovie/idvd every now and then.

Any opinions from those who have upgraded or are also thinking of doing so? Thanks.
glennsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:03 PM   #2
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsan
I am in a quandry, I am probably going to update my DA 533 with either of the above mentioned cards. They are the same price at OWC ($299). The two big differences that I see are that the 1.4 has the 2MB L3 cache and the 1.7 uses lower voltage so it might be quieter. I don't really use my computer for much besides the usual email/internet/itunes/iphoto with imovie/idvd every now and then.

Any opinions from those who have upgraded or are also thinking of doing so? Thanks.
Based on my experience with Cube upgrades, the performance on both is going to be similar. The L3 cache is a big help but they're having trouble pushing these processors (the 7457) much beyond 1.3 Ghz. Stability would my big concern with these processors.
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:05 PM   #3
dukeblue91
macrumors 65816
 
dukeblue91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Send a message via AIM to dukeblue91
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsan
I am in a quandry, I am probably going to update my DA 533 with either of the above mentioned cards. They are the same price at OWC ($299). The two big differences that I see are that the 1.4 has the 2MB L3 cache and the 1.7 uses lower voltage so it might be quieter. I don't really use my computer for much besides the usual email/internet/itunes/iphoto with imovie/idvd every now and then.

Any opinions from those who have upgraded or are also thinking of doing so? Thanks.
Hi
I just went through the same thing and had similar questions too, when I decided to upgrade my 400 Graphics
After research I concluded and was advised by many people to go with the L3 Cache card as it will be faster in many intensive tasks.
I ended up buying the 1.4 Ghz Powerlogix from OWC for $250.00 and am glad that I did, as this computer will rock my Mini hands down due to the Mini not having an L3 Cache.
I also added bunches of ram and an Sata card and drive and a better video card as well.

Anyway get the one with the L3 Cache.
__________________
Mac Pro Quad 2.8 16GB Ram, 3.5TB HDD, 2x SP2208WFP Monitors.
2010 White MacBook, 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4 Gig of Ram, 250GB HD.
HTC One X Phone, iPad 3 16GB Wifi,
My website http://www.js-jewelers.com
dukeblue91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:37 PM   #4
alex_ant
Banned
 
alex_ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: All up in your bidness
The memory bus in that Mac is so slow that there will barely be any difference in performance between the 1.4 and 1.7, all things being equal. Get the one with the L3
alex_ant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:44 PM   #5
doucy2
macrumors 65816
 
doucy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Send a message via AIM to doucy2
yea def go with the L3 cache
i have a 1ghz one in my agp and it is sweet runs all my games and apps quite well
__________________
13" MBP 2.8ghz i7, Apple TV 1, iPhone 4S, 2x APE; WTB Intel Mini
doucy2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:26 AM   #6
glennsan
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
All,

Thanks for the help, I will go with the 1.4 and hope it does run stable at that speed. Now, one more thing, I am also thinking of upgrading my Geoforce 2mx video card. As I mentioned earlier I don't really use my computer for anything graphic intensive so I wondering if it's worth getting anything new. I saw that an ATI 9000 pro is now $90, that is also in my price range but I am wondering if anyone knows of a better one to get. I have an ADC 15" monitor so I am thinking of one with ADC but I see the new LCD's that use DVI and drool. Ideas or suggestions anyone?
glennsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 06:37 AM   #7
dukeblue91
macrumors 65816
 
dukeblue91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Send a message via AIM to dukeblue91
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsan
All,

Thanks for the help, I will go with the 1.4 and hope it does run stable at that speed. Now, one more thing, I am also thinking of upgrading my Geoforce 2mx video card. As I mentioned earlier I don't really use my computer for anything graphic intensive so I wondering if it's worth getting anything new. I saw that an ATI 9000 pro is now $90, that is also in my price range but I am wondering if anyone knows of a better one to get. I have an ADC 15" monitor so I am thinking of one with ADC but I see the new LCD's that use DVI and drool. Ideas or suggestions anyone?
Have a look at ebay, there are quite a few cards at real good prices.
But do your research before you buy, there are quite a few flashed PC cards out there, and most are very good but may have some limitations.

However your ADC connector will be very limiting to your choice of card unless you buy a converter which are about $100.00
Personally I would sell the ADC and buy me a 17" or 19" DVI monitor.

As far as the CPU card, don't worry to much about stability the 7455 is a great chip and been clocked and stable up to 1.5 Ghz for quite some time.
Do make sure that you have the latest firmware update on your computer that will save you all the hassle for when you upgrade your processor.
__________________
Mac Pro Quad 2.8 16GB Ram, 3.5TB HDD, 2x SP2208WFP Monitors.
2010 White MacBook, 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4 Gig of Ram, 250GB HD.
HTC One X Phone, iPad 3 16GB Wifi,
My website http://www.js-jewelers.com
dukeblue91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
15" rMBP, worth $180 to upgrade 2.3 GHz to 2.6 GHz? The New iPad MacBook Pro 20 Oct 25, 2013 02:01 PM
Battery life impact of 1.7 ghz CPU upgrade? icing MacBook Air 21 Jun 20, 2013 12:00 PM
1.3 of 1.7 ghz CPU? ladeer MacBook Air 3 Jun 10, 2013 09:51 PM
2.6 GHz vs 2.7 GHz Retina Macbook Pro Real World Difference dpnguye2 Buying Tips and Advice 40 Nov 15, 2012 02:21 PM
2.6 GHZ i7 mobile (Mini) CPU Vs Imac 2.9 ghz desktop i5?? Pie Chips Salad iMac 1 Nov 11, 2012 12:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC