Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackC866

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Hi folks!

On my Early 2011 Macbook Pro, the card reader and one of the USB ports have been out for well over a year now.

Apple (a while back) attributed this to a "liquid damaged logic board" and refused it under warranty. They said to expect the problem to spread and my computer is on borrowed time. I don't recall ever coming close to spilling a liquid on my Mac. That was well over a year ago.

Since then, I've used the computer extensively (video editing) on a daily basis with no problems. I am not 100% buying that my board is fried. Everything else (and all other ports) works fine. Also, both the card reader and USB ports show up in my system report without error.

Today, I reset the PRAM and SMC. The one dead USB port came to life but soon went unresponsive again.

I am debating cleaning my logic board. I "may" purchase a new imac at the end of the year, so I am not really worried about taking a chance with this thing. I'm open to almost any suggestion. Based on what I described... do you guys have any suggestions?

Like I said, aside from the 1 USB & Card Reader being unresponsive... everything else works great. The Thunderbolt, Firewire, and other USB hasn't once failed.

Thank You!!!

Other info on this computer:
MC700LL/A
2.3GHz Intel i5
OS 10.7.5
500GB 5400rpm
2X4Gb 133 MHz DDR3 RAM

I use a G-Tech Thunderbolt RAID External and can run heavy After Effects CS5 & Final Cut projects just fine. I also have it hooked to an external monitor, mouse & keyboard for editing (run it stand alone when I'm just surfing the web)

Last edited:

JackC866

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Well, I owe Apple a big apology.

As I searched and searched about logic boards curiosity got the best of me and I decided to crack my macbook open to see for myself. They were right; corrosion.

To the naked eye it didn't look like anything. But I got my camera out and took a picture with a good lens. Wow! I am surprised that it still runs so well. The corrosion is concentrated in one area, the extreme close up image is nasty, the rest of the board looks fine.

So I guess now I will be researching how to properly clean a logic board, and what the risks are. I've read where people have taken it out, cleaned it with alcohol and reported improvements. Any tips on this process? Thank You..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.