Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 1, 2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Mojer
macrumors member

Clicked on bad link on ipad?

I received what looked like an email from my wife. The email had a link in it. This is not uncommon for my wife to do so I had no reason to think that it was not legit. I clicked the link and was brought to a weight loss website. I then realized it was not legit and subsequently confirmed this with my wife. I did not click on anything on the website and closed the email. I am using an ipad 2. Should my wife or I have any concerns? When I clicked on my wife's name in the email it came back to a bogus email account. Thanks!
Mojer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Tsepz
macrumors regular

Change your passwords!

This sounds like the bogus links on Twitter that get DM'd when someone's account has been hacked.

What I would do is change the password on my email. I am very vigilant when it comes to these things and one day I got a bogus link on Twitter, I clicked by mistake, the 1st thing I did was get into Chrome on my iPad, went to the desktop Twitter website and changed my Password, never had an issue.

I suggest you both change your passwords, just to be safe.
Tsepz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Charliebird
macrumors 6502a

Smash it, burn the remaining parts, and bath the ashes in acid.

Seriously you should be fine. Nothing as rights to install stuff on your iPad that doesn't come from the App Store.
Charliebird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 01:01 AM   #4
ourmountain
Banned

Your wife is a terminator now.

Hell bent on destruction and getting you to lose weight.
ourmountain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 03:33 PM   #5
GoingDark
macrumors regular

You don't have to worry about anything happening to your iPad, it can't get viruses or malware like a regular computer.
However, either your email or your wife's email has definitely been hacked, so I would change your passwords immediately.
GoingDark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDark View Post
You don't have to worry about anything happening to your iPad, it can't get viruses or malware like a regular computer.
However, either your email or your wife's email has definitely been hacked, so I would change your passwords immediately.
The email accounts haven't necessarily been hacked. It's easy to spoof an email to make it look like it's coming from a email address, in this case the OP's wife's account, when it is actually being sent from a totally unrelated email account.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:26 AM   #7
GoingDark
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
The email accounts haven't necessarily been hacked. It's easy to spoof an email to make it look like it's coming from a email address, in this case the OP's wife's account, when it is actually being sent from a totally unrelated email account.
Sure, but how would this spammer know to spoof his wife's email address specifically, without at least some of their information being compromised?
GoingDark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:47 PM   #8
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDark View Post
Sure, but how would this spammer know to spoof his wife's email address specifically, without at least some of their information being compromised?
Again, not that hard. Just have to get hold of an email addressed to one from the other. Emails really aren't that secure. You have an email exchange with a third party and think "oh let me cc my spouse on this," next thing you know someone uses one of the cc'd to spoof everybody else in that email exchange.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2014, 01:39 PM   #9
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Yeah, I'm frequently receiving emails from "my friends", but the email is actually spoofed. I received one email supposedly from a friend with a display-name in the format "first-name city", and the only place her name is in that format is in Facebook.

Whoever is spamming me obviously has one of my email addresses (which is also the Facebook login) and the display names (but not email addresses - or they probably would have spoofed that too) of my Facebook friends. Not sure how that happened - is there some way a crawler process can iterate through profiles and extract their public friends list?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad