Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:25 AM   #26
identity
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
A lot of salty Apple fans in here...
identity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:29 AM   #27
Macrolido
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
I still hate the idea of "post PC". None of these portable devices replaces a laptop or a desktop computer. Its simply Post PC because Apple said so, and people like to do what they are told.
Totally agree with you.
Macrolido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:30 AM   #28
wovel
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: America(s)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
I still hate the idea of "post PC". None of these portable devices replaces a laptop or a desktop computer. Its simply Post PC because Apple said so, and people like to do what they are told.
Actually, for quite a lot of people they do replace a laptop. Maybe not for you, bit you are not the same as everyone else. This goes for the rest of the folks that agreed with you or said the same thing.

Why is it so hard to believe that someone could have all their needs met by a tablet, or even a phone.
wovel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:32 AM   #29
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Apple has 18% of a market with 1.2 BILLION devices sold in 2012.

That's acutally quite amazing considering this chart includes smartphones and tablets... AND laptops and desktops.
Michael Scrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:32 AM   #30
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Too busy customizing home screens?
knucklehead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:32 AM   #31
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
I still hate the idea of "post PC". None of these portable devices replaces a laptop or a desktop computer. Its simply Post PC because Apple said so, and people like to do what they are told.
I think it is a fantastic notion. Not everyone needs a full on PC. They are just doing email, very light browsing etc. if an iPad or similar fits their needs then why not have it in the market.

And no one, not even Jobs or Cook, are saying that the personal computer is dead and gone. Just that it isn't the end all and be all of folks computer use. It is moving from THE thing to just another piece in the puzzle.

That said I disagree that this statistic proves or disproves this notion. I would say that Sony's recent announcement of Airplay like functionality is closer to showing that the tech world is indeed embracing this notion of the post PC interconnected world than market share on phones.
charlituna is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:32 AM   #32
sesnir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
"Shipments" does not mean "sales"... and while Apple has been having trouble making iPhones/iPads/iMacs fast enough to meet demand, I doubt that the same is true of Samsung. When you subtract the unsold units, I wonder if that puts Apple back on top.

Marketshare should only refer to sales, but it seems it never does.
__________________
Tangent Worlds - iOS Developer
sesnir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:34 AM   #33
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesnir View Post

Marketshare should only refer to sales, but it seems it never does.
Nor does it adjust for returns and perhaps it should
charlituna is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:35 AM   #34
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
Well, they are selling tons of cheap phones mainly to be used to Twit, post to Facebook or send Text Messages. That's what most kids do anyway; no need for a higher end device.
Uh... what do you think the main use for Apple's iToys is?
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:36 AM   #35
whooleytoo
macrumors 603
 
whooleytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cork, Ireland.
Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsienna View Post
He also predicted that iPad mini would never be a success...
And another: (link)

Quote:
There are no plans to make a tablet. It turns out people want keyboards. When Apple first started out, "People couldn't type. We realized: Death would eventually take care of this." "We look at the tablet and we think it's going to fail." Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already.
__________________
Mac <- Macintosh <- McIntosh apples <- John McIntosh <- McIntosh surname <- "Mac an toshach" <- "Son of the Chief"
whooleytoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:36 AM   #36
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post

Well, they are selling tons of cheap phones mainly to be used to Twit, post to Facebook or send Text Messages. That's what most kids do anyway; no need for a higher end device.

And they have multiple carrier options, not like iPhone stuck primarily to AT&T with a bleeding plan.
The iPhone is available on over 120 carrier around the globe.

The difference is... Samsung makes phones that retail for $80 unlocked in developing nations. No wonder they have a huge amount of shipments/sales.

Not that it's a contest or anything
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:37 AM   #37
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Another Apple/Samsung flamebait thread. Yawn.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:40 AM   #38
Booch21
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wovel View Post
Actually, for quite a lot of people they do replace a laptop.
I fall into this category. I haven't fired up a laptop in years since getting my first iPad. I can do quite a bit from the living room on a tablet. When I need to go fire up the Mac, its usually for a darn good reason.
__________________
27" iMac, 2.93 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HD, 1.5 TB EXT
iPhone 4 and iPad
Booch21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:43 AM   #39
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncrab View Post
It's not much of a comparison between Apple and Samsung. it's a lot like Comparing a Mercedes S Class with an entry level Hyundai. The numbers do not tell the real story. Samsung gives away close-top, cheap plastic boxes which are probably just the thing to get your ten year old who will drop it or lose it. Brand S is picking up the bottom of the market at a lower price point and lower profit and they treat their customers accordingly. Not everyone can afford or appreciate the Mercedes S Class which is why there are beaters.
I always laugh at these car analogies. BTW bro Apple gives away an iPhone for free too. Your Samsung hate is clearly showing. Why are you so butt hurt over the Koreans?

I also like how whenever these analyst or market groups put out their "estimates" (Keyword here!) and it favours Apple it is treated as gospel and the absolute truth here. However when it favours someone else other than Apple everyone has to pick it apart, bringing up counter articles about web traffic and begin rambling about shipped vs sold ad nauseam.

Stay Classy.
__________________
I own stuff that is cool and fits my needs.
TheHateMachine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:43 AM   #40
Krazy Bill
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wovel View Post
Why is it so hard to believe that someone could have all their needs met by a tablet, or even a phone.
It's not hard to believe. But the Enterprise market pays the bills and the iPad will never fill that niche because it's a "leisure" appliances - nothing more.
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:44 AM   #41
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
Meh. Love my iPhone and iPad, but nothing beats using my iMac.
QCassidy352 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:45 AM   #42
M-O
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
the shrinking blue segments really make me wonder what Google was thinking with the Pixel.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:46 AM   #43
thehustleman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateMachine View Post
I always laugh at these car analogies. BTW bro Apple gives away an iPhone for free too. Your Samsung hate is clearly showing. Why are you so butt hurt over the Koreans?

Stay Classy.
Because samsung makes the 2 beat phones available now and unlike apple, they are pushing the limits, bringing new technology to the game and new features while apple well.... Isnt
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:47 AM   #44
M-O
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Cheap will always win market share. Always.
M-O is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:48 AM   #45
BvizioN
macrumors 68000
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
I still hate the idea of "post PC". None of these portable devices replaces a laptop or a desktop computer. Its simply Post PC because Apple said so, and people like to do what they are told.
Remember, before tablet or a smartphone people used to buy desktop PC or a laptop just to get on the internet. I would say must people. Now why would they buy desktop or a laptop to check/send emails or brows the internet when they can do that on tablet/smart phone? You may not like it but that's the true. I only have my iMac because i do video editing (final cut pro x, Aftereffects CS6 and some photo editing programs. Otherwise, i would just stick with tablets.
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:49 AM   #46
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Another Apple/Samsung flamebait thread. Yawn.
Yep. Poor show MacRumours.

Apple has improved on last year which is good enough for me
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:50 AM   #47
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post

Remember, before tablet or a smartphone people used to buy desktop PC or a laptop just to get on the internet. I would say must people. Now why would they buy desktop or a laptop to check/send emails or brows the internet when they can do that on tablet/smart phone? You may not like it but that's the true. I only have my iMac because i do video editing (final cut pro x, Aftereffects CS6 and some photo editing programs. Otherwise, i would just stick with tablets.
One thing I always wondered about... what do people do with digital photos if they don't have a computer to save them to?

Do people only use their phone and upload them to Facebook for safekeeping?
Michael Scrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:50 AM   #48
philip456
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Another interpretation - just as many PCs/laptops.

This doesn't necessarily mean that people are using less PCs and laptops.

It could be that just as many people are using PCs/laptops but they are also buying smartphones/tablets as well. So, there are the same number of PCs/laptops but more smartphones/tablets.

That would explain the percentage changes, just as well.

Without more information, don't jump to conclusions too quickly.
philip456 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:57 AM   #49
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
"The figures do not, of course, necessarily indicate device preference, as some may choose a cheaper device for financial reasons, especially in developing markets."

Amazing editorialized comment as if to discredit the report.

Newsflash - people don't just pay less for financial reasons as if they can only afford cheaper options. It all comes down to use case and VALUE.

If someone wants to watch some movies, read, etc and not concern themselves with Apple's ecosystem, they might choose a Kindle Fire or Nexus 7. Not because they can't AFFORD an Apple device. But because there's no reason to pay more for what they need.

So yes - you can say it's a financial reason. But that seems to be a go-to bullet point meaning "because they can't afford the iPad" or [fill in the blank apple device]
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:58 AM   #50
BvizioN
macrumors 68000
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
One thing I always wondered about... what do people do with digital photos if they don't have a computer to save them to?

Do people only use their phone and upload them to Facebook for safekeeping?
Upload them in cloud services (plenty around) I personally don't, but ppl can easy do that.
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 7 represents the post Steve Jobs era of Apple KimIlSung iOS 7 3 Jun 13, 2013 08:18 AM
Aaron Sorkin's Steve Jobs Biopic: Three 30-Minute Scenes Taking Place Before Three Product Launches MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 147 Jun 12, 2013 02:57 PM
Apple Still Tops in Cellphone Customer Satisfaction, but Losing Ground to Samsung and Others MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 73 May 27, 2013 10:07 PM
Samsung and Apple Continue to Dominate Smartphone Market, But iOS Market Share Falls MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 141 Feb 20, 2013 06:48 AM
Apple vs. Samsung: Apple Executive Eddy Cue wants 7-inch tablet, Steve Jobs receptive ThatsMeRight iPad 3 Aug 4, 2012 07:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC