Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:58 AM   #51
a.gomez
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
I still hate the idea of "post PC". None of these portable devices replaces a laptop or a desktop computer. Its simply Post PC because Apple said so, and people like to do what they are told.
There is none, all these numbers say is that there are no more feature phones - just about everything is a smartphone. There has not been a 20% world sales decline on PCs in the past year.

This is just wanting to see something in the Data
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:59 AM   #52
tommyminahan
macrumors regular

I don't buy this graph as meaning the PC/Laptop are going away..

I owned a laptop in 2010, and 1 iPhone.. that was a 50/50 marketshare, since then i've purchased an ipad, and another iphone, now my laptop is only 25% of my marketshare.. But that doesn't mean i don't use it just as much. Its my main vehicle for anything, just because i have 3 other tablet/iphone devices, does not mean i'm doing less work on the laptop..

I agree with the other posts on here that say these are "complimentary" devices, that will not replace true PCs.
tommyminahan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:00 AM   #53
wildmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip456 View Post
This doesn't necessarily mean that people are using less PCs and laptops.

It could be that just as many people are using PCs/laptops but they are also buying smartphones/tablets as well. So, there are the same number of PCs/laptops but more smartphones/tablets.

That would explain the percentage changes, just as well.

Without more information, don't jump to conclusions too quickly.
This.

******** chart is ********.

All the chart actually proves is that a greater volume of Smartphones are being sold, thus pushing down the overall percentage of desktop systems being sold. It also doesn't factor in that desktop systems are slowing in performance growth, so there's not as much reason to upgrade as often, leading to slower sales numbers.

They need to indicate the total sales numbers for each type of device. What you would find is that the overall market is growing, but most of the growth is of course in the smartphones and tablets, while desktops are flat or a slow decline.
wildmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:02 AM   #54
blackcrayon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyminahan View Post
I don't buy this graph as meaning the PC/Laptop are going away..

I owned a laptop in 2010, and 1 iPhone.. that was a 50/50 marketshare, since then i've purchased an ipad, and another iphone, now my laptop is only 25% of my marketshare.. But that doesn't mean i don't use it just as much. Its my main vehicle for anything, just because i have 3 other tablet/iphone devices, does not mean i'm doing less work on the laptop..

I agree with the other posts on here that say these are "complimentary" devices, that will not replace true PCs.
I agree with your general reasoning, but I'd say with the iPad and iPhone is definitely do not use my traditional PC's "as much". Any web page, email, game, music app I run on my iOS devices I most likely would've done by desktop or laptop before. I think the iOS devices have taken at least *some* "computing" share from the other stuff.
blackcrayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:03 AM   #55
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmac View Post
This.

All the chart actually proves is that a greater volume of Smartphones are being sold, thus pushing down the overall percentage of desktop systems being sold. It also doesn't factor in that desktop systems are slowing in performance growth, so there's not as much reason to upgrade as often, leading to slower sales numbers.

They need to indicate the total sales numbers for each type of device. What you would find is that the overall market is growing, but most of the growth is of course in the smartphones and tablets, while desktops are flat or a slow decline.
That is by definition called Post-PC.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:07 AM   #56
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmac View Post

This.

Exactly.

Plus... what is the point of grouping smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops in the same chart anyway?

Laptops and tablets I can see some parity... but a smartphone and a desktop?

IDC may be trolling us

Oh and they did break it down by category:

Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:07 AM   #57
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
LOL.... I would prepare more than just popcorn... how about an early beer with fried calamari or chicken wings???

Too bad I gotta get some work done, so I won't be able to hang around. Enjoy!
I'm heading out for pizza. Think I will bring my iPhone with me but leave my PC at home.
SHirsch999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:07 AM   #58
convergent
macrumors 6502

Apple may have less than 20% of the marketshare, but from that meager number they have about 80-90% of the global profit in this space. I think they are probably much happier with their position vs. the rest. You can't spend marketshare.
convergent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:09 AM   #59
samcraig
macrumors G5

It's unfortunate that Kellogg's is really getting screwed by all of this.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:09 AM   #60
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post

Apple may have less than 20% of the marketshare, but from that meager number they have about 80-90% of the global profit in this space. I think they are probably much happier with their position vs. the rest. You can't spend marketshare.
I prefer:

"You can't pay your rent with market share"

Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:09 AM   #61
MacBookR2012
macrumors newbie

Post PC? Not that simple

OF COURSE there are going ot be more portable devices than desktops in use today. In my house we have 1 desktop PC, but also 3 portable PCs, 2 tablets and 4 smart phones. I didn't replace my desktop with my laptop, table or smart phone.
MacBookR2012 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:11 AM   #62
convergent
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
Plus... what is the point of grouping smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops in the same chart anyway?
Right, this is like grouping sales of cars, trucks, motorcycles, scooters, segways, and motorized skateboards together, and concluding something about the post "horse and buggy" market.
convergent is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:11 AM   #63
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Desktop PC's are just for work and work is boring.

All other time is party time, and that's for portable party machines.
Oh wow, you know what I'm not even going to bother pointing out how many things are incorrect with that statement. In just going to sit back and hope you realise.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:12 AM   #64
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBookR2012 View Post

OF COURSE there are going ot be more portable devices than desktops in use today. In my house we have 1 desktop PC, but also 3 portable PCs, 2 tablets and 4 smart phones. I didn't replace my desktop with my laptop, table or smart phone.
Does anyone remember the exact quote from Steve Jobs regarding this "Post PC" movement?

Surely he didn't say the personal computer is dead... Apple still sells Macs after all.

And you still need a Mac to develop iOS apps!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:13 AM   #65
frabber
macrumors regular

Apple and we the consumers need a cheaper iphone variant.
Yes we in the west too.
frabber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:14 AM   #66
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncrab View Post
It's not much of a comparison between Apple and Samsung. it's a lot like Comparing a Mercedes S Class with an entry level Hyundai. The numbers do not tell the real story. Samsung gives away close-top, cheap plastic boxes which are probably just the thing to get your ten year old who will drop it or lose it. Brand S is picking up the bottom of the market at a lower price point and lower profit and they treat their customers accordingly. Not everyone can afford or appreciate the Mercedes S Class which is why there are beaters.
Samsung is the Toyota of phones. They have a million models and three different brands (Lexis, Toyota, and Scion) that cater to all markets with multiple options. Some people call that SMART.

S class is no longer all that btw
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:15 AM   #67
LatinaC09
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
Right, this is like grouping sales of cars, trucks, motorcycles, scooters, segways, and motorized skateboards together, and concluding something about the post "horse and buggy" market.
lol nice i love this analogy!
LatinaC09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:17 AM   #68
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post
Not really surprised Samsung are on top. They do have about a million different devices to sell.
Yeah damn them for catering for different markets across different countries with different amounts of cash to spend. Those bastards how dare they.

You know (and this may come as a shock to you) its actually possible to support Apple whilst still accepting that their competition are clearly doing something right.
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:17 AM   #69
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Post-PC is a myth. Yes, they'll be used less by them who don't need them. Overall, they're not going anywhere. Nothing but marketing spin to convince the masses that their perfectly good PC devices are dated.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:18 AM   #70
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
The iPhone is available on over 120 carrier around the globe.

The difference is... Samsung makes phones that retail for $80 unlocked in developing nations. No wonder they have a huge amount of shipments/sales.

Not that it's a contest or anything
Well, here in the U.S., where it matters the most to me, it's just AT&T (Sprint and Verizon don't even cross my mind), and it's killer!

I do have my iPad on a grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan, which I will never let go.

My XDA HD2 Android is on T-Mobile, but I wish it was an iPhone instead. Someday....
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:19 AM   #71
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabber View Post

Apple and we the consumers need a cheaper iphone variant.
Yes we in the west too.
Apple: "We can't ship junk"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAo8g...tailpage#t=40s

Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:19 AM   #72
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHirsch999 View Post
I'm heading out for pizza. Think I will bring my iPhone with me but leave my PC at home.
Hahahah!!!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:20 AM   #73
rmwebs
Banned

A lot of that will be down to the fact that the most popular android tablets are wifi only. The iPad sells a lot more on contract, thus has higher web traffic in general.

The iPad is also still a fair bit easier to use as a web browser, especially with Chrome.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:24 AM   #74
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post

Well, here in the U.S., where it matters the most to me, it's just AT&T (Sprint and Verizon don't even cross my mind), and it's killer!

I do have my iPad on a grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan, which I will never let go.

My XDA HD2 Android is on T-Mobile, but I wish it was an iPhone instead. Someday....
It's your problem if you choose to exclude the other 2 major nationwide carriers in the US.

Oh... and the iPhone is on many regional carriers as well.

Bottom line... the iPhone is on many carriers in the US... it's not "just" on AT&T

Maybe it's your particular location... and that's an infrastructure problem.

But again... the iPhone is on many carriers in the US
Michael Scrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:25 AM   #75
mysticalos
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Desktop PC's are just for work and work is boring.

All other time is party time, and that's for portable party machines.
You must not do any heavy tasks then. If you want to play a game greater than angry birds, you need a good machine. Some laptops are pretty good, but nothing beats a strong solid desktop for gaming or serious production stuff.
mysticalos is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion