Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Whackintosh
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
How big a problem is the yellow tint on the late 2012 21.5 imacs?

I'm very strongly thinking about upgrading from my 2009 iMac but a number of reviews and posts are complaining about a yellow screen tint far more pronounced than in previous models, and it seems to vary from one machine to the next. Have Apple fixed this issue yet to get something more consistent or is still a luck of the draw situation?
__________________
21.5-inch 3.1 Ghz i7 2012 iMac w Fusion Drive, 2:53 ghz 15-inch late '08 MBP
Whackintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Rich2Putt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackintosh View Post
I'm very strongly thinking about upgrading from my 2009 iMac but a number of reviews and posts are complaining about a yellow screen tint far more pronounced than in previous models, and it seems to vary from one machine to the next. Have Apple fixed this issue yet to get something more consistent or is still a luck of the draw situation?
Had my 21.5 since Dec & not one single issue. Go for it & start enjoying your new Mac.
Rich2Putt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Whackintosh
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Thanks! That's good to hear! Do you find your 2012 screen to be more or less as good as the ones on the earlier 2009+ models?
__________________
21.5-inch 3.1 Ghz i7 2012 iMac w Fusion Drive, 2:53 ghz 15-inch late '08 MBP
Whackintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:48 PM   #4
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackintosh View Post
I'm very strongly thinking about upgrading from my 2009 iMac but a number of reviews and posts are complaining about a yellow screen tint far more pronounced than in previous models, and it seems to vary from one machine to the next. Have Apple fixed this issue yet to get something more consistent or is still a luck of the draw situation?
The one I got for my wife's grandparents has a yellow tint on the entire right half the screen. They don't notice it so I didn't say anything, but it wouldn't be acceptable to me.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Ice Dragon
macrumors 6502a
 
Ice Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
On previous models of iMacs, who made the panels and was there a yellow tint then? I'm wondering if LG has always made the panels and if there has always been an issue.
Ice Dragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:56 PM   #6
JustMartin
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
No problems with mine either, arrived in December and been fine since.
JustMartin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:11 PM   #7
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a
 
smoking monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Japan
my 27 screen is fine.

What we don't know is just how bad it is. Is it 2 percent of screens? 10 percent?

IR and Yellow tint seem to be a solid problem so far along with some minor fan problems.

Some people are returning 3 or 4 times. Now we don't get to see these machines so perhaps they could be totally acceptable to us but not to them. It's all very unknown as to how big the problem really is. What is known is that it is definitely happening.

BUT I think I can say with certainty that you are far, far more likely to get a good machine than a bad one.
__________________
G3 450 B&W, K-Lime iBook G3/466SE, PB G4 867(Ti), G4 800 DP(QS), PB G4 1.5 17 (Al), iPT 1G, 08 24 iMac, MBP 09 17, iP3Gs, iPad1&2, iP4s, '12 27 iMac, iP5s, rMBP(H) 15", Air.
smoking monkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816
 
Lil Chillbil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
The one I got for my wife's grandparents has a yellow tint on the entire right half the screen. They don't notice it so I didn't say anything, but it wouldn't be acceptable to me.
sir sir sir



you do relize that 4 years from now some dude like myself is going to buy that imac off of them and get it home, stare at the screen for a while and think "hmmmm why is that side slightly yellow" type in "2012 imac one side of the screen is yellow" and find out that the program that replaces those screens has ended 6 months earlier much like what happened to me with my core 2 duo imac
__________________
Check out my youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKull101
Mac skinned pc Luna netbook
Lil Chillbil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Rich2Putt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackintosh View Post
Thanks! That's good to hear! Do you find your 2012 screen to be more or less as good as the ones on the earlier 2009+ models?
This is my first iMac. Can't comment on previous models.
Rich2Putt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:37 AM   #10
kennyap
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackintosh View Post
I'm very strongly thinking about upgrading from my 2009 iMac but a number of reviews and posts are complaining about a yellow screen tint far more pronounced than in previous models, and it seems to vary from one machine to the next. Have Apple fixed this issue yet to get something more consistent or is still a luck of the draw situation?
I just received my new iMac two days ago and I did a side-by-side with my 2011 27". They both have a slight yellowish tinge (very slight) in the bottom third of the screen. This is something no one, including myself, would notice unless they were looking for it.
__________________
iMac 27" 3.4ghz 680mx 840 Pro SSD 512gb
2012 13" rMBP | 2011 27" Imac 3.5ghz 2gb vram
2011 MBP 17" | 2011 MBA 11" & 13"
kennyap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:44 AM   #11
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Chillbil View Post
sir sir sir



you do relize that 4 years from now some dude like myself is going to buy that imac off of them and get it home, stare at the screen for a while and think "hmmmm why is that side slightly yellow" type in "2012 imac one side of the screen is yellow" and find out that the program that replaces those screens has ended 6 months earlier much like what happened to me with my core 2 duo imac
Yes, but, even if it were returned, it would end up being resold as a refurb anyway - at pretty close to full price. If it's sold in 4 years, it will be a bargain and the yellow screen likely won't sting as much to the buyer therefore.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:31 PM   #12
Krrrt
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyap View Post
I just received my new iMac two days ago and I did a side-by-side with my 2011 27". They both have a slight yellowish tinge (very slight) in the bottom third of the screen. This is something no one, including myself, would notice unless they were looking for it.
And about the brightness, they both have the same brightness ?

Thanks.
Krrrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:23 PM   #13
mlody
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I am trying to buy my first imac (refurb) and for some reasons applet hates me. My first imac 27" had a huge yellow tint problem - a 3rd of bottom screen. My new imac - this time 21.5 also has the same issue, but a bit less intensive; however, noticable enough when doing a casual web browsing. I really want to get a mac as my next computer, but at this point i think i might end up with a dell ips panel and a mac mini as i cant really accept the fact that $2k computer has a hugely visible screen issue - i would understand if this some some knock off for $300, but not Apple product that costs 5-7 times more.

Last edited by mlody; Apr 30, 2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
mlody is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC