Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:41 AM   #1
WhiteIphone5
Banned

car wont start. help me please

Battery and starter were replaced last September so I know battery couldnt be that dead. When put in the key to start nothing happens. All silent no noise No lights at all. I did not leave anylights on as I got home in the day time too. What could be happening? I had my oil changed about two months ago as well.
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:43 AM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Sounds like the battery ... do you have jumper cables / a neighbor that can jump you?
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:50 AM   #3
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
Sounds like the battery ... do you have jumper cables / a neighbor that can jump you?
I will try in a few once my parents are back. I still don't understand the battery is only about 4 months old. Could it be that it is extremely cold here? Last time I filled anti freeze was about 4 months ago but then if it was engine or something wouldnt the light at least come on?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:52 AM   #4
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
I will try in a few once my parents are back. I still don't understand the battery is only about 4 months old. Could it be that it is extremely cold here? Last time I filled anti freeze was about 4 months ago but then if it was engine or something wouldnt the light at least come on?
Yes, the cold can cause a battery to not give enough power to start.

If it was the starter, the lights would come on.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Yes, the cold can cause a battery to not give enough power to start.

If it was the starter, the lights would come on.
Yeah 4 months ago it cracked but not start. Aparantley my battery was really bad and my started too so both got replaced. So I'm still wondering what's going now.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:01 AM   #6
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Yeah 4 months ago it cracked but not start. Aparantley my battery was really bad and my started too so both got replaced. So I'm still wondering what's going now.
My best guess is the battery - whether it is actually drained or just frozen, I can't know for sure.

You could try warming the battery somehow, or jumping it. Once you get it started, it will be important to leave it running for a while.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:05 AM   #7
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
My best guess is the battery - whether it is actually drained or just frozen, I can't know for sure.

You could try warming the battery somehow, or jumping it. Once you get it started, it will be important to leave it running for a while.
OK I'll get back to you with results. Thanks So much!!!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

If there's a hill nearby.. you could jump it yourself, but yeah.. its the battery
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:20 AM   #9
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
If there's a hill nearby.. you could jump it yourself, but yeah.. its the battery
lets say the alternator was dead? wouldi get some lights at least?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:22 AM   #10
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
It's not the alternator ... it only works once the engine in running.

At least, that isn't your immediate problem - the alternator could be dead as well, which could explain the dead battery.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:25 AM   #11
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
It's not the alternator ... it only works once the engine in running.

At least, that isn't your immediate problem - the alternator could be dead as well, which could explain the dead battery.
So say I jump start and car still won't come on. Then its the alternator?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The alternator charges the battery when the engine is running. It doesn't do squat if the engine is off. The easiest way to test the battery is with a multimeter. If it shows less than 12 volts then the battery is kaput. Even with 12 volts, the battery might still be bad. You need to test it under load to see if it's truly bad. Most auto parts shops can do that for you.

An easy test to see if the alternator is bad is also with a multimeter. You should be getting 13-15 volts with the engine running.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:28 AM   #13
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
No. If it was the alternator, the car will start and run, but when you shut it off (after it's been running for a while, at least an hour) it will not start again.

The alternator charges the battery and provides power for the electrical system when the car is running. If the alternator is dead, everything runs from the battery.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:31 AM   #14
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
No. If it was the alternator, the car will start and run, but when you shut it off (after it's been running for a while, at least an hour) it will not start again.

The alternator charges the battery and provides power for the electrical system when the car is running. If the alternator is dead, everything runs from the battery.
So If I jump start and It turns on and say I drive it for a bit then turn it off. But when I turn it on and it doesn't come on then its the alternator
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:33 AM   #15
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
So If I jump start and It turns on and say I drive it for a bit then turn it off. But when I turn it on and it doesn't come on then its the alternator
Possibly. The only way to be sure is to take it to a mechanic if it does that.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:41 AM   #16
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Possibly. The only way to be sure is to take it to a mechanic if it does that.
Oh OK thanks for the help I really appreciate it
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:41 AM   #17
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Quote:
No, and no.

If your battery is as dead as you've described, it's entirely possible that (1) you won't be able to jumpstart the car, and/or (2) simply driving it around for a bit won't charge the battery enough for you to restart the engine after shutting it off.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:46 AM   #18
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
No, and no.

If your battery is as dead as you've described, it's entirely possible that (1) you won't be able to jumpstart the car, and/or (2) simply driving it around for a bit won't charge the battery enough for you to restart the engine after shutting it off.
How long to leave it on?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:06 PM   #19
Consultant
macrumors G5

If you get car started, around 20 minutes should give it sufficient charge. Just make sure no one take off with it. And don't have it running in an enclosed area.

Quote:
How much do you drive it everyday? A lot of short trips? You are probably not driving enough to recharge the battery.

Cold messes with batter power too.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:08 PM   #20
hallux
macrumors 65816

When you do get it started and take it for a drive shut off any electrical load you can (heated seats, heater fan, radio) to help speed the charging. Something the others missed is that you could have a bad/loose ground connection, especially if you have no lights at all.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:16 PM   #21
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
When you do get it started and take it for a drive shut off any electrical load you can (heated seats, heater fan, radio) to help speed the charging. Something the others missed is that you could have a bad/loose ground connection, especially if you have no lights at all.
What is this ground connection? Loose cable?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:29 PM   #22
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
hey i found one of those battery booster packs and im charging it, it has a red cable and black cable to jump start. Red goes to negative and Black goes to positive? sorry for just a noob question but im new to this
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:39 PM   #23
Knoodles
macrumors 6502

No! Red is positive and black is negative.
Knoodles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:40 PM   #24
hallux
macrumors 65816

Quote:
hey i found one of those battery booster packs and im charging it, it has a red cable and black cable to jump start. Red goes to negative and Black goes to positive? sorry for just a noob question but im new to this
NNNOOO!!!

Look that wires on the car, match the red to the red. The black on the booster should go to a good ground (NOT the black on the battery), it should be an un-painted surface such as a mount bolt on a component on the drivebelt end of the engine or a bolt on the strut/shock mount.

http://www.edmunds.com/how-to/jump-start.html

----------

Quote:
What is this ground connection? Loose cable?
Yes. It could even be on the battery but it could be on the starter or the engine block someplace.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:45 PM   #25
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Quote:
NNNOOO!!!

Look that wires on the car, match the red to the red. The black on the booster should go to a good ground (NOT the black on the battery), it should be an un-painted surface such as a mount bolt on a component on the drivebelt end of the engine or a bolt on the strut/shock mount.

----------

Yes. It could even be on the battery but it could be on the starter or the engine block someplace.
i as just told black on black and red or red now black on surface? ugh

----------

Quote:
NNNOOO!!!

----------

its a jumper box btw not jump start from another car

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion