Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Am I crazy for possibly thinking of trading my one month old Galaxy Note 2 for the Nexus 4 ? I have my N2 listed on CL I am will trade plus cash for a new in box N4.

My last three phones have been the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus-S, Nexus-One. When I couldn't buy the Nexus 4, due to being sold out, I got the annual upgrade itch, and read so many positive reviews on the Note 2, I went for it.

Now four weeks with the N2, having second thoughts, if its a keeper.

Mainly the size, the N2, really is hard to handle one handed most of the time. I am so used to one hand texting, and just using my phones with ease one handed, the N2 is more if a two hander. Or can be used with one hand, but need to balance it just right cradled in your hand, to get your thumb all the way to the other side, or really stretch hard to pull down notification bar.

But the battery life is amazing, super fast smooth phone, and the screen is awesome for YouTube and reading sites.

I am running CM10.1, couldn't stand Touchwiz, and actually not using the S-Pen like I thought I would. I just forget its there, just not used to a stylus type device.

But worried about the Nexus 4, battery life, over heating, and other issues I read about.

Opinion ?

Selling my Note 2, I'd almost have enough for both, a new Nexus 4, and used Nexus 7 tablet.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Its a great phone but battery life and LTE got me. I have one sitting here and got the wireless orb in too. Love them both but again, I go through the battery a little too quick especially for a device without LTE. :confused:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I tried to like the Nexus 4 but in the end there was no way a device with that kind of battery-life would work for me. I carried an external battery pack with me wherever I went (and used it quite often). The 4.2.2 update doesn't seem to change that all that much.

In addition, I was not thrilled with a few other aspects of the N4.

The camera was definitely sub-par in this day and age. Didn't think that would matter but around the holidays my pics had a cloudy or washed out look to them. My long-gone iPhone 4 took better pics, IMO.

The speaker was just adequate to me.

A big drawback, for me, were the on-screen nav buttons. I felt like I had a 4.4" screen instead of 4.7. I found ways to get rid of them but the work-arounds to replace them were not for me.

All that said I liked having the N4 because it got me used to Android. It was my first non-iPhone phone since the iPhone came out.

But in the end I bought a Note 2 and have been thrilled with it. Nexus 4 is sold.

Michael

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I have guys on Craig'slist offering me their brand new iPhone 5's as a trade. Is a jailbreaked iPhone 5 cool ? Or still no comparison to the Note 2 ?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I do like my White color Note 2, first white phone, looks so clean, and makes the screen pop more. White looks like an astronauts or Apollo moon mission gadget :)

My only beef is the size, I use one have primarily, and this phone difficult to use with oy one hand.

I have a guy willing do straight up trade for a white iPhone 5, 32GB.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I have guys on Craig'slist offering me their brand new iPhone 5's as a trade. Is a jailbreaked iPhone 5 cool ? Or still no comparison to the Note 2 ?

I've had the same offers for my Note 2. Both phones cost the same off contract so I think it's a fair trade in terms of monetary value it just depends on what is important to you. Also a jailbroken iPhone is a much easier transition going from Android to iOS. The only thing that I'm gun shy about is the screen size. After using a Note 2 my S3 looks a little small.

If I was offered that trade I would do it since I have an S3 for my Android needs.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I do like my White color Note 2, first white phone, looks so clean, and makes the screen pop more. White looks like an astronauts or Apollo moon mission gadget :)

My only beef is the size, I use one have primarily, and this phone difficult to use with oy one hand.

Have you ever used an iphone before?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Last iPhone I had was the 3G, then moved to Android with the Nexus-One, then Nexus-S, then Galaxy Nexus, now Note 2. I always make fun of my brother still on an iPhone 4, locked down limited iOS. He won't jailbreak, which I keep telling would make it much better.

So...

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Last iPhone I had was the 3G, then moved to Android with the Nexus-One, then Nexus-S, then Galaxy Nexus, now Note 2. I always make fun of my brother still on an iPhone 4, locked down limited iOS. He won't jailbreak, which I keep telling would make it much better.

So...

Haha if you're making fun of your brother then why would you consider going back to iOS?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Haha if you're making fun of your brother then why would you consider going back to iOS?

LOL :) My Brother a big iPhone guy, owning the iPhone 1, iPhone 3GS, and now still on the iPhone 4, said he might finally switch to Android, go to a Nexus 4. But for years said he would NEVER go Android.

And now me a Android nerd, thinking going back to an iPhone w/jailbreak. I swore I would NEVER go back to an iPhone LOL :) I am just bored, looking for a smaller phone, but with good battery life, something to fit in my pocket with ease. Sure in Winter the Note 2 is fine in my big coat, but come Spring and warm weather, don't want this beast in my shorts.

Is there a jailbreak out for 6.1.2 ?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
How About A s3?

Nah, I am ready for something different. Good thing with an iPhone 5, I can sell for good price again, in a few months, if I want the Galaxy S4. New iPhone's hold their resale very well.

So will an AT&T iPhone 5 work with my Straight Talk ATT sim, without unlocking ? And is there a jailbreak out for iOS 6.1.2 ?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Nah, I am ready for something different. Good thing with an iPhone 5, I can sell for good price again, in a few months, if I want the Galaxy S4. New iPhone's hold their resale very well.

So will an AT&T iPhone 5 work with my Straight Talk ATT sim, without unlocking ? And is there a jailbreak out for iOS 6.1.2 ?

I used Straight Talk last year and you didn't have to unlock an iPhone to use their AT&T sim. I assume that's still the case. Evasion will jailbreak 6.1.2.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Yes 6.1.2 has a jailbreak I am running my iphone 5 jailbroken right now.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I have excellent LTE service in my area so I wouldn't trade my Note II for a Nexus 4. If I was in your situation, I'd continue using the Note and/or sell it and wait for the S4.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
LOL :) My Brother a big iPhone guy, owning the iPhone 1, iPhone 3GS, and now still on the iPhone 4, said he might finally switch to Android, go to a Nexus 4. But for years said he would NEVER go Android.

And now me a Android nerd, thinking going back to an iPhone w/jailbreak. I swore I would NEVER go back to an iPhone LOL :) I am just bored, looking for a smaller phone, but with good battery life, something to fit in my pocket with ease. Sure in Winter the Note 2 is fine in my big coat, but come Spring and warm weather, don't want this beast in my shorts.

Is there a jailbreak out for 6.1.2 ?

Funny because I thought about short season and a note 2 as well

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Using Android after I got used to the iOS keyboard of the iPad Mini is so dang confusing. I make so many typing mistakes, it's crazy.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I have guys offering note 2 for my iPhone 5 as well but I got the 16 gig version.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Note 2 and the N4 is the top 2 phones on the market. Like others said, if you have LTE coverage on the Note 2 and running CM10.1, there is not much upside to get a N4. I am extremely happy with the N4 and battery life is much better after 4.2.2 update.

Don't trade for the iPhone 5. You will go crazy. :p

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
You are not getting a fair trade with note 2 for nexus 4.

Nexus 4 with taxes and shipping is $400 give or take

You will get at least $500 for your note 2 easily.

iPhone 5 32 gb is the same trade. Both phones cost $299 on contract. That's an even trade.

It all comes down to personal preferences and how easy you wan the sell/trade

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
You are not getting a fair trade with note 2 for nexus 4.

Nexus 4 with taxes and shipping is $400 give or take

You will get at least $500 for your note 2 easily.

iPhone 5 32 gb is the same trade. Both phones cost $299 on contract. That's an even trade.

It all comes down to personal preferences and how easy you wan the sell/trade

Agreed.

The Nexus 4 unlocked 16GB is $350 plus tax. UNLOCKED.

The Galaxy Note 2 is a $700 phone. It's on par, price wise, with the 32GB iPhone 5 and easily worth $550-600. And that's a quick sale too.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I'm consistently getting 17+ hours and 4+ hours of on screen time from my nexus 4. Not amazing but not as bad as it used to be and better than many phones out there.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Well I did my trade/sale, and I decided to go with;

The Nexus 4, brand new in box, and enough money left over for a slightly used Nexus 7 3G. Basically have two devices for one now, that's fine by me :) Having the Nexus 4 for almost 24 hours now, I rooted it out of the box, took about twenty minutes or so for full adb root with CWM Recovery, and installed Xylon custom ROM with Matrix v7 kernel.

Yesterday the phone came out of the box with 90% left on the charge, I rooted it, installed a new ROM, set it up to my liking, played with it a lot. After 12 hours later, with 5 hours On Screen time, the battery went to the red 14% mark.

Haven't played with the Nexus 7 yet.

The Note 2 was really a very very nice device, fantastic large screen, and beautiful too, super fast smooth, with insane battery life. But i use my phone during work, and need something a bit smaller, I do a lot of quick texts with co workers and clients on the fly, pull the phone out of pocket, reply to quick text, put phone back in pocket. While typically holding something else in the other hand at work. With the Note 2 I could not really do that, the Nexus 4 yes.

The Note 2 was the best sitting around the house reading stuff on it was awesome. Or if you have a lazy desk job, no offense, but where you sit at an office desk most the day, and have time to play with the Note 2, it'd be great for that too, or for commuting on the train / bus.

I had other people offering me a straight trade with fairly new iPhone 5's. box and all accessories. I almost did it with one guy, but then the thought of a small 4" screen, and the issue with Straight Talk micro SIM card cutting down, how would that nano Sim card go back in a future Nexus-Five I'll buy :)

I have now owned every Nexus phone :) Nexus-One was my first Android phone, coming from the iPhone 3G, then I moved to the Nexus-S, with the vibrant AMOLED screen, and then the Galaxy Nexus with 720p HD screen and ICS 4.0, the Galaxy Nexus felt like a MAJOR jump from the Nexus-S.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Well I did my trade/sale, and I decided to go with;

The Nexus 4, brand new in box, and enough money left over for a slightly used Nexus 7 3G. Basically have two devices for one now, that's fine by me :) Having the Nexus 4 for almost 24 hours now, I rooted it out of the box, took about twenty minutes or so for full adb root with CWM Recovery, and installed Xylon custom ROM with Matrix v7 kernel.

Yesterday the phone came out of the box with 90% left on the charge, I rooted it, installed a new ROM, set it up to my liking, played with it a lot. After 12 hours later, with 5 hours On Screen time, the battery went to the red 14% mark.

Haven't played with the Nexus 7 yet.

The Note 2 was really a very very nice device, fantastic large screen, and beautiful too, super fast smooth, with insane battery life. But i use my phone during work, and need something a bit smaller, I do a lot of quick texts with co workers and clients on the fly, pull the phone out of pocket, reply to quick text, put phone back in pocket. While typically holding something else in the other hand at work. With the Note 2 I could not really do that, the Nexus 4 yes.

The Note 2 was the best sitting around the house reading stuff on it was awesome. Or if you have a lazy desk job, no offense, but where you sit at an office desk most the day, and have time to play with the Note 2, it'd be great for that too, or for commuting on the train / bus.

I had other people offering me a straight trade with fairly new iPhone 5's. box and all accessories. I almost did it with one guy, but then the thought of a small 4" screen, and the issue with Straight Talk micro SIM card cutting down, how would that nano Sim card go back in a future Nexus-Five I'll buy :)

I have now owned every Nexus phone :) Nexus-One was my first Android phone, coming from the iPhone 3G, then I moved to the Nexus-S, with the vibrant AMOLED screen, and then the Galaxy Nexus with 720p HD screen and ICS 4.0, the Galaxy Nexus felt like a MAJOR jump from the Nexus-S.

Oddly enough I have always been a two handed texter even with the iphone. Every time I think I'll return the note I start using it and fall in love again. Random, but what texting app are you using? I love SwiftKey but want quick reply. The apps I have found with quick reply stink.

Edit: never mind just stumbled upon sms popup

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.