Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChopSticks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Does anyone have a step by step guide to installing a SSD into the 2010 MBP? not the physical steps, but what would need to be done on a software standpoint? I just recently purchased the Samsung 840 pro and wanted to be prepared as possible before it comes in.

Do I just unbox and switch out the old HDD for the SSD and boot from my osx (snow leopard) installation disc that came with my MacBook and viola? Or is there another step that I'm missing?

I've tried to search for this but only physical and performance benchmarks come up as results. Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated, or if you can redirect me to the appropriate link/source.

I've read somewhere that you have to reformat it with an external enclosure? what if I don't have one available?

Lastly, what are the steps that should be taken after the osx has been installed? I've seen many advising to get the TRIM enabler, and unchecking sleep drive in the battery settings? turn off motion sensor? and hard disk sleep? please any additional details would be swell!

Also someone mentioned not to run benchmarks? http://blog.alutam.com/2012/04/01/optimizing-macos-x-lion-for-ssd/ is this the same as blackmagic design speed test?

EDIT: ah bugga, messed up the title, should be for* in lieu of from

Last edited:

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
macsales

Head over the OWC or macsales, they have some nice videos and tutorials, that include some best practices for how to best migrate data, get the new OS installed, etc.

iChopSticks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Head over the OWC or macsales, they have some nice videos and tutorials, that include some best practices for how to best migrate data, get the new OS installed, etc.

Might be dumb, but do you have a direct link? I'm having trouble locating the videos/tutorials

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
you will need a Windows PC and use Samsungs Magician software, or you will need to burn the firmware iso to a disk and boot from it on your Macbook Pro. This is a little harder, but there is a tutorial here on Macrumors forums if you want. I recommend the Windows route though.

You boot the computer holding command, and it will show up, you will need to format it and create 1 partition, and MAC OS Extended Journaled, then you can reinstall the OS over the internet, which will take a while.

I used this video for that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snkx_YDZ0jo

or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mihb8YQzDxw

As for the rest, check out Orlandoech's (macrumors user) SSD tweak guide. It'll help answer all these sleep timer questions and stuff.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505922/

Last edited:

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Do I just unbox and switch out the old HDD for the SSD and boot from my osx (snow leopard) installation disc that came with my MacBook and viola? Or is there another step that I'm missing?
That's really about it. I would use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an image of your existing install so you don't spend all day installing OS X, doing updates, re-installing software, etc.
I've read somewhere that you have to reformat it with an external enclosure? what if I don't have one available?
I'd just buy one for $8 from NewEgg. They are handy and then you can use your old HD as a Time Machine backup
Also someone mentioned not to run benchmarks? http://blog.alutam.com/2012/04/01/optimizing-macos-x-lion-for-ssd/ is this the same as blackmagic design speed test?
You'll want to run a benchmark to see if you're getting the speeds you should. If your new drive benchmarks very low there is probably something wrong with your setup.

iChopSticks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
you will need a Windows PC and use Samsungs Magician software, or you will need to burn the firmware iso to a disk and boot from it on your Macbook Pro. This is a little harder, but there is a tutorial here on Macrumors forums if you want. I recommend the Windows route though.

You boot the computer holding command, and it will show up, you will need to format it and create 1 partition, and MAC OS Extended Journaled, then you can reinstall the OS over the internet, which will take a while.

I used this video for that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snkx_YDZ0jo

or this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mihb8YQzDxw

As for the rest, check out Orlandoech's (macrumors user) SSD tweak guide. It'll help answer all these sleep timer questions and stuff.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505922/

Oh wow thanks, I was just reading the tweaks actually,

but a couple questions in regards to the videos you've provided, the first one, why does he partition the drive? is this necessary? or can I just boot from the disc? and did he have to format the drive prior to physically installing it?

As for the Samsung video, I noticed it's a bit old (couple of years or so) and was wondering if that was the same procedure? do I need to format? Also since the Samsung advises you to clone from your old HDD what options do I select just to format so I can do a clean install?

And a bonus question (sorry) I noticed Samsung provides a SATA > USB adapter, so technically an external enclosure isn't really necessary unless I plan on moving it around like an external HD?

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Oh wow thanks, I was just reading the tweaks actually,

but a couple questions in regards to the videos you've provided, the first one, why does he partition the drive? is this necessary? or can I just boot from the disc? and did he have to format the drive prior to physically installing it?

As for the Samsung video, I noticed it's a bit old (couple of years or so) and was wondering if that was the same procedure? do I need to format? Also since the Samsung advises you to clone from your old HDD what options do I select just to format so I can do a clean install?

And a bonus question (sorry) I noticed Samsung provides a SATA > USB adapter, so technically an external enclosure isn't really necessary unless I plan on moving it around like an external HD?
the samsung supplied adapter will let you use to clone super duper or Carbon copy clone will do the trick, just copy your internal drive to ssd (external drive) and do what the samsung video suggested, you will be all set.
Make sure after installation of ssd and boot up, click apple menu to highlight the start disk, then you are in business. It is easy.
the adapter samsung provided can be used for your time machine back up or use as clone of your internal disk (as someone suggested).

iChopSticks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
the samsung supplied adapter will let you use to clone super duper or Carbon copy clone will do the trick, just copy your internal drive to ssd (external drive) and do what the samsung video suggested, you will be all set.
Make sure after installation of ssd and boot up, click apple menu to highlight the start disk, then you are in business. It is easy.
the adapter samsung provided can be used for your time machine back up or use as clone of your internal disk (as someone suggested).

What if I just want to start fresh? How would I prep it to have the osx installed from the disc provided with the MBP?

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
just as you have installed the ssd I mentioned above, you can insert the OSX disk and boot up with option key press should guide you to install the osx.
You can get away with installing brand new osx, if you find just cloning will do, it is upto you.
If I were you, you can update the snow leopard to Mountain lion by purchasing from apple store, it is up to you.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
What if I just want to start fresh? How would I prep it to have the osx installed from the disc provided with the MBP?

It's easiest to do it from the internet in my opinion, but once you pass the step of the partition and everything, it will come up with installing the OS, there you will be able to select the disc method of installation.

iChopSticks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
It's easiest to do it from the internet in my opinion,

Wait... huh? I just got completely lost..

As for the second part, so I am not required to partition right?

----------

just as you have installed the ssd I mentioned above, you can insert the OSX disk and boot up with option key press should guide you to install the osx.
You can get away with installing brand new osx, if you find just cloning will do, it is upto you.
If I were you, you can update the snow leopard to Mountain lion by purchasing from apple store, it is up to you.

So if I choose not to clone, just unbox and install physically and use the disc to install osx?

Are the benefits of ML that significant to bother upgrading?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Wait... huh? I just got completely lost.

Sorry I meant don't bother with the reinstall disc and just select the option to download the original OS the Mac was shipped with and it installs it after its downloaded. Just a suggestion. If your internet isnt the fastest dont do it.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Wait... huh? I just got completely lost..
As for the second part, so I am not required to partition right?
----------

So if I choose not to clone, just unbox and install physically and use the disc to install osx?
Are the benefits of ML that significant to bother upgrading?
Of course you have to partition the drive, every drive, SSD or HD, has to have at least one partition or it won't work, and the default (see the Options button) is the GUID journaled.
Some people have had trouble just installing a SSD in the MBP and then installing the OS, that is why some recommend using an external drive caddy for the formatting (partitioning) step. However, it will work in most cases so why not try that first?
As for ML, that is your choice entirely. Reading the forums, you will get the feeling that it is full of bugs, and yes there are many waiting to be crushed. Still, it is usable as it is now, and 10.8.3 promises some relief, hopefully soon.
The main difference is the integration with iOS devices and use of the cloud. If you have an iPhone or iPad, best to go for ML, in my opinion.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Agreed, any recommendations on the pre and post steps of installing the osx? or just pop in drive/disc and I'm ready to go?

Snow leopard, so I have the disc, since it's a 2010 MBP

Install the new drive then boot from the SL DVD. Run Disk Util and format the drive as Mac OS Extended, then install the OS.

Once it boots from the SSD with the new OS install, go to System Prefs in the Startup Disk pane and select the SSD as the boot drive.

You don't need to do anything else. If you want to enable TRIM with the TRIM enabler app you can at this point.

iChopSticks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Install the new drive then boot from the SL DVD. Run Disk Util and format the drive as Mac OS Extended, then install the OS.

Once it boots from the SSD with the new OS install, go to System Prefs in the Startup Disk pane and select the SSD as the boot drive.

You don't need to do anything else. If you want to enable TRIM with the TRIM enabler app you can at this point.

Just curious why select Mac OS extender? And why would I have to select the ssd as the boot drive if I'm replacing the HDD with the ssd?

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
As the poster above says, the easiest way to do it is to clone your existing drive and then copy it on to the SSD. I did it this way and had the least hassle. Good luck with the SSD - you won't believe the difference!!!!

iChopSticks

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
As the poster above says, the easiest way to do it is to clone your existing drive and then copy it on to the SSD. I did it this way and had the least hassle. Good luck with the SSD - you won't believe the difference!!!!

thanks I can't wait! but I really wish to start fresh, as another poster said (which I have also read a couple different instances) that sometimes cloning can cause problems. Not to mention my current drive has more than 256gb so a clean start would be more preferred, presonally

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
thanks I can't wait! but I really wish to start fresh, as another poster said (which I have also read a couple different instances) that sometimes cloning can cause problems. Not to mention my current drive has more than 256gb so a clean start would be more preferred, presonally

I had no difficulties (used Super Duper!) and it meant that I didn't have to reinstall everything - particularly software like Word which would've meant another registration validation. If you need the cleaner install, it makes sense to do it from the drive.

Good luck!

Statusquick

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Does anyone have a step by step guide to installing a SSD into the 2010 MBP? not the physical steps, but what would need to be done on a software standpoint? I just recently purchased the Samsung 840 pro and wanted to be prepared as possible before it comes in.

I've tried to search for this but only physical and performance benchmarks come up as results. Any recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated, or if you can redirect me to the appropriate link/source.

Lastly, what are the steps that should be taken after the osx has been installed? I've seen many advising to get the TRIM enabler, and unchecking sleep drive in the battery settings? turn off motion sensor? and hard disk sleep? please any additional details would be swell!

EDIT: ah bugga, messed up the title, should be for* in lieu of from

Everyone is making the answer more difficult than it needs to be:

Pop in the new ssd using a owc tutorial video.

When you boot the laptop, hold alt so that you can choose to boot from a different source (I used a mountain lion USB instead of disk)

Install the osx. It will tell you, you need to reformat and partition the drive. Reformat to Mac journaled case sensitive, and choose only one partition.

Wait 20 minutes and you're done.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just curious why select Mac OS extender? And why would I have to select the ssd as the boot drive if I'm replacing the HDD with the ssd?

Mac OS Extended is the disk format that will be required for a boot drive.

After you install the SSD, you will need to tell OS X where the boot drive is. If you do not, the machine will search for network drives and all other available drives to boot from before settling on the SSD. It will still boot and work without making this selection, but you will not boots to start are REAL long because it is searching around for the boot drive. Just making it the SSD manually makes the boot much faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.