Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
Now for some dumb questions about hardware...

I have an old 2008, 13", white MacBook and am considering buying a newer MacBook Pro, however the world has changed a lot since this first Apple purchase 5 years ago.

Could someone help me understand what the concepts below are, and how they relate to my current MacBook?

1.) What is an "Optical Drive" and "Optical Drive Bay"?

Is that a CD/DVD drive?

2.) What is an "OWC Data Doubler"?

3.) What is a "unibody"?

4.) Is this true...

The current unibody MBP will accept a 12.5mm in the main drive bay and a 9.5mm in an optibay caddy.

5.) If I bought a MacBook Pro today, would it be a "2012" or "2013" design, or would it be a "2011" design?

6.) What is the purpose of having a conventional Hard-Drive and a Solid-State Hard-Drive?

(I'm not a gamer, nor do I do any Adobe stuff, and I have been happy with having one 7200 rpm HDD, as long as it is BIG!!)

All of these changes that Apple is doing - as well as the industry - sure are confusing to me... :confused:

Sincerely,

Debbie

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Now for some dumb questions about hardware...
Not to be rude, but to be helpful, you'll find answers to most of your questions by simply searching with Google, using the search terms in your questions, such as "unibody" or "Mac unibody", "OWC Data Doubler", "Optical Drive" and "Optical Drive Bay". As all of those things have been clearly described thousands of times before, searching will reveal those explanations without someone having to type them all over again.

If you don't find the answers you need by searching, of course you're welcome to ask for help here.
5.) If I bought a MacBook Pro today, would it be a "2012" or "2013" design, or would it be a "2011" design?
It depends on what model you buy, and if you buy it new, refurbished or used. A Retina model could be 2013 or 2012. A non-retina MBP could be 2012 or earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.