Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sech

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Curious if anyone is using their Retina MacBoook Pro's (13 or 15in) without monitors fulltime?

I am in love with the idea of one machine, one screen, that's it. I think the Retina MacBook Pro may be my solution, and wonder who is using their computer like this fulltime? I'd love to hear about your experience.

I'll be using it for documents, web, coding, very light gaming.

Appreciate the feedback.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
all day

I'm using my 15" rMBP daily about 8-10 hours. sometimes I use external for a day or see here and there, but mostly just the 15" rMBP..

historically I had REAL issues with any newer none matte screen (i've always used matte before and found the glassy very distracting)

I had concerns moving to the 15" rMBP since I work in offices a lot and in lit rooms, but it has been NO PROBLEM at all.

It really is a joy to use. And fast as the dickens!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah when I'm traveling abroad (like right now), it's often for a few weeks at a time which means I do not have the luxury of an external monitor.

I do not have issues with productivity applications and work. I don't do much coding, but this screen is great for it. I don't game on this computer, so I can't comment on that.

The only issue I have is the glossy display, though I have gotten used it over the many months I've used it. If there is glare, turn up the brightness and rotate away from the light source; it's rarely that bad.

I think you should fine with using the rMBP as a standalone computer because that is what it was designed for.

CROiga

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Split, Croatia
I also plan to use 15" mbpr as my main work horse,.. I`m always on the road so there`s really no point in having an external screen.I placed an order a week ago, and it should be here shortly.
This will be my first MAC,... before that I worked exclusively on Dell Precision mobile workstations,... Last one I used was M6300. I got it in 2007 and in that time mbp didn`t have native resolution of 1920x1200, so I decided to go with Dell, but now situation has changed a big deal LOL :)
I

Sech

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I appreciate the feedback. I just ordered a 15in Retina. Looking forward to getting the machine and putting it through its paces.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
The way I look at it is that you should be using the Retina display most of the time because this is a part of the reason you buy this Mac model, not to mention the beautiful new design :D

So yea, to answer your question, the Retina display is my ONLY screen :)

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
If you need a mobile workspace, this is probably the best available option.

However, if you have the luxury of working at the same place most of the time, I still think an external monitor (thunderbolt display) offers a better experience. You can sit at a larger distance from the monitor, you can position mouse/trackpad and keyboard more comfortably, sit in a more ergonomic position, etc.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
While I was at boarding school, (I left a week ago) I used my 13" non retina MBP for 12+ hours a day, for gaming, studying, and everything in-between. :)

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I've settled on the 13" retina since the 15" had extra space on the side of most web pages that was wasted, and surfing the web and similar light tasks is what I mostly use the computer for.

If I was someone editing videos and pics most of the time, I would go with a 15" or even a 27" iMac...

So for now, a 13" retina is my main "desktop" computer since it has an awesome screen, is fast, remains cool under pressure and has a lighted keyboard...;)

Might hook it up to the next gen thunderbolt display, but for now, swiping back and forth b/t Safari, Chome, iTunes and Twitter/Activity monitor is working very well for me. I mean, I used to use a Commodore 64...we've come a long way since then...

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Coming from Windows I can't get over the inability to fully disable the font smoothing effect OS X has on external monitors. That plus the Retina display's pixel density is so much nicer. So for OS X I don't bother with an external display.

On the other hand when I Boot Camp I tend to use the external display as opposed to Retina because the MacBook really struggles with displaying a proper desktop with the Retina in the Windows environment. I mean it's doable, but nowhere near as nice as simply using the HDMI out to a larger 24 in. 1080p monitor.

In the end, if you exclusively use OS X I can imagine using the rMBP without a monitor 98% of the time. The only thing I'd miss is sharing/watching pictures and movies on a big screen, in which case the solution is really cheap and simple -- buy an Apple TV.

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I use my rMBP 15" for almost 5 months now as my main computer, I haven't missed a bigger external screen at all.
But I do play a movie on the rMBP so now and then with the HDMI port connected to our HD TV, this is when we are watching a movie with the entire family.
My wife and I like to watch movies on this machine in bed, I do have an underlayer when using it there.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Curious if anyone is using their Retina MacBoook Pro's (13 or 15in) without monitors fulltime?

I am in love with the idea of one machine, one screen, that's it. I think the Retina MacBook Pro may be my solution, and wonder who is using their computer like this fulltime? I'd love to hear about your experience.

I'll be using it for documents, web, coding, very light gaming.

Appreciate the feedback.

I've used a MBP and now rMBP for over 3 years on a daily basis w/o an external monitor with no complaints. I only use an external when I am cutting and pasting between multiple documents; in that case I have a 21" Dell monitor that I attach. After using the retina display I would not go bak to a normal display. The only thing I miss is the built in DVD drive.

----------

I use my rMBP 15" for almost 5 months now as my main computer, I haven't missed a bigger external screen at all.
But I do play a movie on the rMBP so now and then with the HDMI port connected to our HD TV, this is when we are watching a movie with the entire family.
My wife and I like to watch movies on this machine in bed, I do have an underlayer when using it there.

have you tried Airplay with an Apple TV. I use it with our projection TV and it is great. No need to run wires.

rrm998

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Houston, TX USA
I still have two external monitors but since I got the 15" rMBP, I use them much less often. Usually only when I have thousands of photos to review and I need both the library and a single photo up at the same time.

The 15" display is great for my daily usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.