Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:38 AM   #1
nickdonn1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
rMBP: Wait or Buy now?

My current computer is a late 2008 15" MBP, but it's often strained when I try to get it to do much beyond web browsing. I'm a computer engineering student, so I need a pretty powerful machine, and my current computer isn't really cutting it. I was telling myself that I was going to upgrade to a 15" rMBP as soon as they announced new ones, but now that they've come, I'm not so sure. Do people think I should wait for Haswell, or do you think that the current Ivy Bridge models will be similar in performance to the high end Haswell chips?
nickdonn1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:45 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
I recommend you buy what you need, when you need it. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include or when it will be, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy. There is typically not a significant difference in real-world performance for most users from one model release to the next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdonn1 View Post
My current computer is a late 2008 15" MBP, but it's often strained when I try to get it to do much beyond web browsing.
How much RAM do you have?
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:51 AM   #3
nickdonn1
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
4 GB... but that's the most this model supports.
nickdonn1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:55 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdonn1 View Post
4 GB... but that's the most this model supports.
Not true. If it's an Early 2008 non-unibody, it supports up to 6GB. If it's a Late 2008 unibody, it supports up to 8GB. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:00 PM   #5
nickdonn1
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Interesting... Maybe I'll consider that. Though to be honest, I think I probably should just upgrade now after what you said. I've loved [read: abused] this thing so much that I'm not sure it could last reliably until July. And in my mind, the fact that they're doing this incremental update suggests to me that it'll probably be closer to September by the time we see an upgrade. Thanks for the help though!
nickdonn1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rMBP buy now or wait? pearsonnunn MacBook Pro 20 Jul 27, 2013 12:15 AM
Buy now rMBP? or wait for Haswell? bbishop93 MacBook Pro 167 Jun 20, 2013 07:32 PM
Buy 13' rMBP now or wait? jinyoungkim7 MacBook Pro 8 May 9, 2013 05:33 AM
Buy 15" rMBP NOW or wait? rbvan MacBook Pro 59 Dec 17, 2012 05:33 PM
Buy rmbp now or wait? Liquinn MacBook Pro 3 Nov 4, 2012 10:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC