Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:07 PM   #26
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.
Google seems to enter into many different ventures just to see what sticks. They will leave a service in the "Beta" stage for ages and it is either successful or dies. Google glass looks pretty interesting but I doubt many people who post here would like Apple to go down the Google road and start entering into many different product and service categories in order to see what works.

Sorry that Apple can't take your breath away every 2 years with a new innovative product.

Last edited by 3N16MA; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
3N16MA is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:07 PM   #27
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Way too much radiation near my precious brain from the Google Glass you might think.

They might be too early.

Just like Microsoft was too early with Tablet computers to get schooled by Apple and the iPad.

What people would be willing to wear is the iPin, the iButton or an iCamera or iEye.

Something that sits in your pocket or clips onto your clothing somehow.
It could have a camera and GPS, WiFI and Bluetooth.

And when you want to see what it has to display, you look at

wait for it

your iWatch.
SmileyBlast! is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:07 PM   #28
bobr1952
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Just my opinion mind you but this is one of the dumbest products ever.
If I were to weigh dumb products, I would probably pick up a pair of these glasses before the dick tracy watch.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:08 PM   #29
rotorblade69
macrumors regular

Someone just let me know when the Holodeck gets here, OK.
All this 3d TV's, wearable computer, heads up display **** is beginning to irritate me.
rotorblade69 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:10 PM   #30
bloggerblog
macrumors member

That's amazing!! A voice activated camera wedged in a pair of glasses, Wow I too would like to wear one of these and look like an utter dork!

Great innovation Google!! and btw, thanks for screwing up YouTube and making it stop to buffer all throughout a video!!
bloggerblog is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:10 PM   #31
Elbon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
it would be excellent if I could just wear a watch that serves all the purposes of my iPhone.
This.
Elbon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:11 PM   #32
craftytony
macrumors regular

I think this is a cool toy, but who the hell wants to constantly carry around a pair of ugly glasses, when you can pull out your phone for the same purposes.

Douche-baggery has evolved

Zach Morris Brick Phones -> Pagers -> Bluetooth earpieces -> Google Glasses
craftytony is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:11 PM   #33
wigby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJoe View Post
It seems to me like google is just throwing everything they can think of against the wall and waiting to see what sticks. Let's look at this objectively:
  • It performs basic mobile functions and nothing else
  • You have to talk to it to make it work, which will be very annoying in public
  • You have to wear a very unflattering pair of glasses
  • It is outrageously expensive

What, exactly, is the appeal of this device? Who is it for? Skydivers who don't want to buy one of those go cameras?
all of your points are true but they are also true for most 1st gen tech.
their apis will allow tons of developers to create glass specific apps and accessories.
people are just starting to talk to smartphones for many things. voice control is still new for mobile and is not going away anytime soon.
google glass is a prototype and also allows for removal (one screw) to put other designer frames. price will come down.
these will not be adopted widely until price falls below $149 or it performs all functions of your smartphone for $299.
wigby is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:11 PM   #34
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2director View Post
That's just what I need, more digital distractions in life.
Except it isn't much of a digital distraction if you watch the video or read Topolsky's article.

I think Google has been doing amazing things in recent years, and this looks promising.

The only issue I have is the most expensive piece of technology on your person is now going to be the easiest to steal.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:12 PM   #35
MagicWok
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrhwkp3 View Post
Google is not innovating.

Sure... One device helps a blind person see on an imaginary TV show, whilst the other device is a real world device that relays information onto a screen for someone that isn't blind. Totally comparable.

Back on subject, I actually really like the effort Google is putting into this.
MagicWok is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:12 PM   #36
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Let the competition begin.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:13 PM   #37
Rachel Faith
macrumors member

Awesome. No hate here. Of course, this is going to go big and then it will be who does it best: Apple or Samsung/Google. Who's glasses look cool and who's look n3rd !
Rachel Faith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:13 PM   #38
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.
it's nice and all, but it's not changing the world. this is not something that millions will flock to.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:14 PM   #39
ChrisA
macrumors G4

THey are only showing one application sharing the camera feed to another person. That might be the "killer app" for this devive but really what this is is a hands-free screen. You should be able to do anything with this you can do with a hands free iPhone. Turn by turn GPS comes to mind and also..

1) An airplane mechanic might be able to read the technical docs while working and not have to stop and walk back to the books. Have some kind of Siri-like voice interface.

2) driving a car, the user can keep eyes on trafic while looking at a map

3) It would sure give an advantage to a paint-ball team for each team member to be able to se what the other members can see. One guy and hide, keep eyes on the target and not shoot.

4) what about a visually disabled person. Some one with VERY poor eyesight. The camera can zoom way in and the user can get a hugely magnified version.

I have 1,000 more ideas but I tried of typing...
ChrisA is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:15 PM   #40
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Who knows

It's like everything else new; you won't know until you try it, and for a while- until the gee-wiz wears off.

Which makes this, at something like $1500,

A bloody edge.
mac jones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:16 PM   #41
2bikes
macrumors 6502

So, how will Google glass effect the privacy of others? It`s not like seeing someone taking your picture with a camera or phone. It will be like you could always be recorded and watched at any point when there are people around with Google glass. Kind of scary.
2bikes is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:16 PM   #42
Nathan20
macrumors regular

Quote:
Apple never shows off what they are developing before they are actually going to release it.
Nathan20 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:16 PM   #43
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Apple just released the ipad 2 years ago, a company cannot constantly come out with a new "innovative" product so often. Who knows apple are probably working on something new now.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:17 PM   #44
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Just my opinion mind you but this is one of the dumbest products ever.
I find it to be an interesting idea but the form is ugly to me.

I really don't see any need for more than this being a display and perhaps camera. Let the processing power go through my device and skip the wifi and GPS. Add a small mic and speakers in the eye pieces to work via Bluetooth

And make the form more like a pair of shades, perhaps with light sensitive lenses to go from indoor to out. Way less douche looking
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:17 PM   #45
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Everyone freaks out about the price - remember when 2006 macbook pros cost $3K? That was expensive.

These are intriguing. I don't like that you have to voice activate them.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:17 PM   #46
iisdan
macrumors regular

meh

$1500... no thanks... I wouldn't even buy one for half that.
iisdan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:17 PM   #47
mr.steevo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
The same thing could have been said about the first bluetooth headsets which only geeks wore. Now its very common to see someone speaking randomly in public and having one of those bolted to their ear.
You don't think people with Bluetooth headsets look dorky?
mr.steevo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:17 PM   #48
ChazUK
macrumors 603

I wouldn't mind experiencing them.

Josh did a great with his initial article on them. Will be interesting to see how he gets on with them in future.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:17 PM   #49
Yumbo
macrumors regular

Great for almost instant hands free photos and videos as your eye sees. Something I wished for back in the 90s when I was a photographer, more like built into eyes.
I can foresee the predictable resolution and speed upgrades.
Yumbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:18 PM   #50
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

It's clear that wearable computers are going to be a big thing in the future. Sure this first iteration is going to be plagued with problems, but certainly a heads-up display built into glasses could be very cool. I think the video is like Apple's Siri commercials (I'm an Apple fan, but those commercials really are BS) where it doesn't really do all of that right now.

But, if I'm driving and had a map up in the corner that I could see, that would be cool. Or a video call while driving, again cool. Remember that app that could translate street signs from other languages in real time? Having glasses that could do that would be cool. Walking around in these glasses, ok, not so cool. But I'm going to give Google props for exploring this. Might be geekville now, but the concept has great potential.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion